Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2014 5:07:17 PM EDT
Hi everyone.
I am thinking about an AR type pistol build but I am not sure what the Alabama state laws are.
The only thing I find is a pistol has a barrel less than 12 inches.

Does an unpinned flash hider count on barrel length?
Does it matter if the pistol overall length is 26" or more?

I have a new stripped lower (never been a rifle) and know that it can not have a stock or a vertical forward grip.

I can find lots of things on Federal laws but not much on State.

Thanks,
              Frank
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#1]
From the AR Pistols section

Alabama..............................GTG, no restrictions, but bbl less than 12" is considered a "pistol" and regulated as such for CC purposes (Ala. Code 13A-11-70(1)).
View Quote

Link

I am building an AR pistol now so if any AL LEO can confirm this I'd greatly appreciate it
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I also found in Section 13A-8-1 (4) that a Firearm is defined as , A weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder.
And in Section 13A-11-63  Possession , sale, ect..  of short-barreled rifle or short barreled shotgun; applicability.(a) A person who possesses, obtains ,receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun in violation of federal law is guilty is guilty of a Class C felony.

So, I guess I would be good to go on my plan to assemble a 10.5" AR pistol using a Sig brace for my loaded concealed carry truck gun.

Thanks for the help.

Frank
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top