Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2014 7:29:38 PM EDT
I'm going to Oxford, AL twice this month on business trips. Total of 12 days. Looking for things to do in the area, I noticed the national park looks damn nice. Anyone local, or been there at least?

I'd like your opinion on the best day hike trails in the area. I plan to hike some (6-8 miles) and do some running (3-5 miles).
Also, restaurants and other must see places would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
We go hiking there sometimes. Its not the Smokey Mountains, but it's okay for a workout.  There is a section that is actually a State Park, I forget the name but it has some nice stair step pools and waterfalls.  People come to swim there.  I used to take the dog to swim.  I thinks its Cheaha?   I ll have to look into it.

EDIT:

You will find some interesting geography in the area because of the Cumberland Plateau.  Check out Little River Canyon, Cloudland Canyon, etc..  The further northeast you go in Alabama the more interesting the terrain is...

As far as other things to do... well its mostly smaller towns and wilderness.   Talladega Speedway maybe?  Good hunting areas?  Huntsville, Space Center?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheaha State Park…Top of the River if you like catfish...
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're in the mood for pizza, hit up Mata's in Anniston.  Be prepared to wait a little while, but the pizza is awesome.

There are tons of hiking trails around the Talladega National Forest and Cheaha State Park.  My family backpacked and day hiked there a lot when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Bama (or anyone)

I see that my Ohio CCW is no good down there. I also have Arizona, will that work?

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey Bama (or anyone)

I see that my Ohio CCW is no good down there. I also have Arizona, will that work?

Thanks for the replies everyone.
View Quote

It appears so, but do your own research and know the laws first.  I am just a random guy on the internet, not a state official.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a national forest, not park.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Visit Creedmore Sports.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

wrong, as of last year's CCW reform, we recognize the permits of all 50 states, reciprocity agreement or not......Ohio is good to go now

Alabama Attorney General Web site

Guns

Is a pistol permit issued in another state valid in Alabama?

Yes. Under Alabama Code Section 13A-11-85, Alabama will recognize any valid out of state permit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

wrong, as of last year's CCW reform, we recognize the permits of all 50 states, reciprocity agreement or not......Ohio is good to go now

Guns

Yes. Under Alabama Code Section 13A-11-85, Alabama will recognize any valid out of state permit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guns

Sweet! Thanks for the correction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top