Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm about 90% sure we were talking about the same place but send me the coordinates just to be sure.Will do as we discussed. Do you have 1/24000 topo map?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm about 90% sure we were talking about the same place but send me the coordinates just to be sure.Will do as we discussed. Do you have 1/24000 topo map?
View Quote
I can't seem to find my topo map, but we'll need one for the land nav section of the class.

If anyone has one, bring it for sure.

I'll send the coords tomorrow.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I can get one - will order it tonight.

B branch

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a complete noob when it comes to nav, that's prob my weakest skill in a survival/hiking/camping situation.  I'll start researching it.

Traps would be the next weakest for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think my pack is around 35 lbs, and that's the heavies it's ever been. I'm also bringing extra stuff for you guys to play around with.

I love hiking!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I decided to get the pack out and do a little hiking today.  I did 2 miles with 30 lbs, felt good.

Gonna pick the pace up next time and go for 3 miles, had the kids with me today.

I think my pack is around 35 lbs, and that's the heavies it's ever been. I'm also bringing extra stuff for you guys to play around with.

I love hiking!

What are you guys bringing?! I pulled out my pack and weighed it today, and I'm at 22.5lbs, not including water or weapons. Maybe I don't need to bring anything, I'll just use all the extra stuff you guys are taking

I'm looking forward to the trip.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
15 lbs of gear, 25 lbs of whiskey.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
15 lbs of gear, 25 lbs of whiskey.  
View Quote

There might be a couple extra pounds in my pack.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I am a complete noob when it comes to nav, that's prob my weakest skill in a survival/hiking/camping situation.  I'll start researching it.

View Quote
Ironically, this is one of my strong points.

Maybe we can do some extra work on this.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm good with land nav - lots of years in teaching JROTC and .mil time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be great if we have time for it, I would be most appreciative.  Should I pick up a few snares or anything?

I had a few hours to research nav last night, I learned a good bit.  Looking forward to the instruction and application.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm good with land nav - lots of years in teaching JROTC and .mil time.

View Quote
Great! Maybe you can tech the rest of us.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Off topic... nvm (divergence off to horse camping)

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think this would suit me too good. When I go camping I bring a big ass cooler full of steaks and beer.

I'm gonna die in the apocalypse.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't think this would suit me too good. When I go camping I bring a big ass cooler full of steaks and beer.

View Quote
Well now you definitely need to come!

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He can stay in my tent.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously would a big rolly cooler be ok? I have some gear, tent sleeping bags, tomahawk, etc.

It's not really backpacking stuff though. More unpile it out of the car/truck and thats camp.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Seriously would a big rolly cooler be ok? I have some gear, tent sleeping bags, tomahawk, etc.

It's not really backpacking stuff though. More unpile it out of the car/truck and thats camp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heck yea man. This is an opportunity for those that want to test gear, but if you wanna bring that stuff, I say go for it.

The hike in is pretty tame, so it shouldn't be hard to bring a rolling cooler. There are some spots where it might take two of us to get it over downed trees and stuff.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Heck yea man. This is an opportunity for those that want to test gear, but if you wanna bring that stuff, I say go for it.

The hike in is pretty tame, so it shouldn't be hard to bring a rolling cooler. There are some spots where it might take two of us to get it over downed trees and stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Cool I may think about coming. Me and the SO did a hike in camp at Cloudland Canyon in GA. Was maybe a 1/4 mile hike in.

We ate steak, fish and mountain house mac n cheese.

Got kinda boring during the day but there was a frisbee golf course next to the trail head. We also hiked a shit ton and saw cool water falls.

Idk, I might be up for it. I'm no bushcraft/live off the land expert by any means though.

What time were you guys heading out on Friday?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Cool I may think about coming. Me and the SO did a hike in camp at Cloudland Canyon in GA. Was maybe a 1/4 mile hike in.

Got kinda boring during the day but there was a frisbee golf course next to the trail head. We also hiked a shit ton and saw cool water falls.

Idk, I might be up for it. I'm no bushcraft/live off the land expert by any means though.

View Quote
I think we are going to try to get together around 3pm CST just north of bham.

We will carpool who we can, and caravan the rest of the way together.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be getting off at 4:30. May could meet up with you guys Saturday morning or something.

I'll hold off for now on a spot in case some others come along that don't want to miss out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'd be getting off at 4:30. May could meet up with you guys Saturday morning or something.

I'll hold off for now on a spot in case some others come along that don't want to miss out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool man, we will if you want to come later on Friday that would be cool too.

Either way, we'd love to have you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool I'm seriously thinking about it. But like I said I'll keep the spots open for now in case some others would like to join.

Seriously the only thing I can bring to the table is beer and some laughs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Cool I'm seriously thinking about it. But like I said I'll keep the spots open for now in case some others would like to join.

Seriously the only thing I can bring to the table is beer and some laughs.
View Quote
Cool bro. For what it's worth, we don't expect anyone to bring anything to the table, just come have a good time.

If all goes well, we might schedule one for Fall.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I get out of work at 4:30 and have over a 3 hour drive. I can make it either late Friday night or the next morning. I'll see if I can get out of work a bit early, though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Is this event full?  I'm interested if there is still space.  I'd be coming from Marshall County so I'd just meet yall there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is this event full?  I'm interested if there is still space.  I'd be coming from Marshall County so I'd just meet yall there.
View Quote

We aren't full yet but we are getting close to the 10-12 attendees we are trying to limit it to for this first go around.

If you want to reserve a spot respond that you are 100% in, and we will add you to the roster.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'm tempted to try this brother

View Quote
You should!!! I would love to see you brother.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
We aren't full yet but we are getting close to the 10-12 attendees we are trying to limit it to for this first go around.

If you want to reserve a spot respond that you are 100% in, and we will add you to the roster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What are you guys bringing?! I pulled out my pack and weighed it today, and I'm at 22.5lbs, not including water or weapons. Maybe I don't need to bring anything, I'll just use all the extra stuff you guys are taking

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I decided to get the pack out and do a little hiking today.  I did 2 miles with 30 lbs, felt good.

Gonna pick the pace up next time and go for 3 miles, had the kids with me today.

I love hiking!

I keep adding a bunch of "creature comforts", like a chair, pillow, pad, etc.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love hiking!

I bought a chair.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I can get one - will order it tonight.

B branch

http://previews.mytopo.com/quad-thumb/o34087c4.jpg
View Quote
I went by mountain outfitters and picked up two waterproof maps last night.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey folks, I'm trying to get an accurate head count so please respond if you are 100% in.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#35]
100% IN
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#36]
100% IN.

I have a CRKT Eat N' Tool, and a Sabre Cut Wire Saw to add to the prize pool we discussed. Both are new.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:46:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

100% IN.

I have a CRKT Eat N' Tool to add to the prize pool we discussed.
View Quote
Awesome! I will see what I can come up with to give away.

LMK if anyone else wants to bring a prize.

We are thinking of having competitions for each category of the campout.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Also if any of you are HAM folks, bring your HT.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Also if any of you are HAM folks, bring your HT.

View Quote

I have my HT setup and study materials but haven't got my cert or programed my HT yet I do have a lot of FRS and GRMS radios though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Recon today

Went out this morning and did an on site recon - very nice spot. Located two good camping areas on the up creek end above the falls. One very good for hammocks and the other smooth for tents. Lots of dead fall and a fire ring present. Need someone to bring a bow saw. Hike in was about a mile, clear trail except for maybe one or two dead pines and they were easy to get over. Lots of fresh deer tracks in the thicket areas but otherwise woods were old growth pine and easy to see through. I went on up the creek a few hundred yards to get the lay of the area, still don't have a topo map. Should get it tomorrow. I'll set up a land navigation course the morning I get there. Guarantee it will be challenging.

parking spot with gate - not very large at all. is in a recessed area off road. Easy to miss (I did the first time)  3.6 miles off 33 on county road 2.  On right side.

House directly across from gate - easy to spot

Trail

bottom of falls

camp spot on creek - other is about 50 yds down

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Awesome work man!!! I'm getting excited.

I did manage to score two topo maps, so I'll have those.

I'm going to have to buy a new bag, I've outgrown my poor LBT 3 day. I'm typically a hammock guy, but wanted to try a jungle bag.

The problem is that once you add a pad, bag, pillow, etc, you are easily at 3x the space and weight.

The only added benefit, IMO, is that you stay warmer. I may go back to the hammock though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm bringing a hammock unless it gets cold as hell.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Awesome work man!!! I'm getting excited.

I did manage to score two topo maps, so I'll have those.

I'm going to have to buy a new bag, I've outgrown my poor LBT 3 day. I'm typically a hammock guy, but wanted to try a jungle bag.

The problem is that once you add a pad, bag, pillow, etc, you are easily at 3x the space and weight.

The only added benefit, IMO, is that you stay warmer. I may go back to the hammock though.
View Quote

i enjoyed the walk. My middle kid (30, MSG USAF) is home for a few days so we went out this morning. had a great time together. Check your IMs. And I'm bringing a hammock too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Recon today

Went out this morning and did an on site recon - very nice spot. Located two good camping areas on the up creek end above the falls. One very good for hammocks and the other smooth for tents. Lots of dead fall and a fire ring present. Need someone to bring a bow saw. Hike in was about a mile, clear trail except for maybe one or two dead pines and they were easy to get over. Lots of fresh deer tracks in the thicket areas but otherwise woods were old growth pine and easy to see through. I went on up the creek a few hundred yards to get the lay of the area, still don't have a topo map. Should get it tomorrow. I'll set up a land navigation course the morning I get there. Guarantee it will be challenging.

parking spot with gate - not very large at all. is in a recessed area off road. Easy to miss (I did the first time)  3.6 miles off 33 on county road 2.  On right side.

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=823534&size=1

House directly across from gate - easy to spot

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=823535&size=1

Trail

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=823536&size=1

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=823537&size=1

bottom of falls

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=823539&size=1

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=823540&size=1

camp spot on creek - other is about 50 yds down

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=823538&size=1
View Quote

Not to throw wrenches, but you do know that's not the SW, yes?  I found the trailhead and house on GE, it looks like road/trail #267.  If so, that enters the south end of the WMA (Zone A) but is about 3.25 miles from Co. Rd. 6, which is the southmost boundary of the SW.

Also, be advised that the Bunyan Hill trailhead (road 224, north off of Hwy 6) has been cut off and no longer goes all the way down to the curved bridge.  The new trailhead is about a mile from the bridge and creek.  This closure is not shown on the new 2014 BW WMA maps.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#45]
 I want to attend, but have waaay too much on my plate at the moment.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I want to attend, but have waaay too much on my plate at the moment.  
View Quote

Priorities man!

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#47]
You guys have any idea what kinda fish will be available?  I would assume just small bream or cats.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You guys have any idea what kinda fish will be available?  I would assume just small bream or cats.
View Quote

I don't know what they are called, but I've mostly seen something that looks like a chub or carp.

Found it.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/fish/other/minnow/chub/creek/

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hey folks, I'm trying to get an accurate head count so please respond if you are 100% in.
View Quote

I will have and absolute yes or no tonight.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't know what they are called, but I've mostly seen something that looks like a chub or carp.

Found it.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/images/chubcreek400A.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found it.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/images/chubcreek400A.jpg

Huh, never seen one before, thanks.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top