Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2012 11:27:24 AM EDT
Remember this? http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/02/madison_county_legislator_work.html

My email to Mac:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/02/madison_county_legislator_work.html

Sir,
This email is in response to the above linked story. Why is that you think that by restricting law abiding citizens from carrying that it will make people safer? It will make it safer one class of citizen and one class only. The criminals. Criminals by definition already break the law. The only person who will feel safe are the criminals because law abiding citizens will leave their firearms at home. I am glad I do not live in your district but I can assure you that this story will go out to many major firearms discussion forums. I will just leave you with this quote.

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand

Joshua Forrest

Got a response back from Mac McCutcheon today:

I want to say thank you to everyone who has sent me an email concerning "Gun Rights Legislation" on CCW and carry on school property.  I have been doing research on these issues as well as reading every email which has been sent to me.  Some of you were very passionate about your 2nd Amendment Rights and for that I am respectful even thought you labeled me as an idot and a liberal.  The news reports did not give the FULL and COMPLETE statements as to my thoughts.  As public servants we cannot let an individual's passion for an issue stop us from being responsive to your concerns.  These pieces of Legislation was NOT something of my own thought but was brought to me by the law enforcement community of which I am part of.  I have been trained to train individuals on the use firearms and the safety of firearms.  Some of my creditials are A.P.O.S.T. Certification, F.B.I. Certification and Smith and Wesson Armorer Certified.  As a law enforcement officer for over 25 years I see firearms from a two fold viewpoint.  One as a citizen of America with my 2nd Amendment Rights and also a law enforcement officer protecting the public.  I have never and will never promote an issue based upon my on personal belief alone.  I welcome input from the people of Alabama of whom I represent.  Your ideas and concerns have helped me take a look at the pros and cons of these issues.  Due to your responses I WILL NOT PURSUE ANY LEGISLATION TO BE PASSED!  Many have raised valid concerns dealing with training for CCW Permits, lesser offense laws for neligence, graduated penalities for those who do not comply with current CCW laws, etc..  Due to the fact there have been so many good ideas I have decided to spend the summer speaking to groups and individuals about gun rights and gun safety.  Is there any law that could be created to help law enforcement create a safer enviroment for our citizens or would more laws restrict the rights of law abiding gun owners and have no effect on those who choose to be criminals and create violent acts with guns.  I do appreciate each one who has joined in this debate and remember I am listening to each of you!

Rep Mac McCutcheon
px #256-655-3764  

Good to know.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top