Link Posted: 1/1/2011 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any updates? Would OPSEC allow you to name the county you are looking at?

Chilton County

Great area.

Yep.  Just north of me (Elmore Co. here), pretty country and nice people... and great peaches.

god's country once you get away from I65

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chilton County

At this point we are playing hell tracking down someone to sign addendum to the contract on the seller side. I'm guessing these folks take 6 weeks off for Christmas.

We have financing squared away, but we are waiting on the seller to turn on the utilities so the inspection can move forward. We are also forcing them to fix the mold, and whatever else the inspection finds wrong, which shouldn't be much, I've crawled the property with a magnifying glass.

I am your neighbor down there, on Lake Mitchell.  Lemme know if you need a hand..  

Link Posted: 1/2/2011 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Chilton County

Great!  Another 14 tag doing 45 in a 55 weaving all over the road.  It seems folks from Chilton and Bibb Counties forget how to drive once they hit Shelby County.

Link Posted: 1/2/2011 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chilton County

Great!  Another 14 tag doing 45 in a 55 weaving all over the road.  It seems folks from Chilton and Bibb Counties forget how to drive once they hit Shelby County.

Hell yea they do. I live in Shelby right now. Getting on 65 in the morning is roughly equivalent to stabbing myself in the crotch with a hot iron.

Link Posted: 1/2/2011 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Getting on 65 in the morning is roughly equivalent to stabbing myself in the crotch with a hot iron.

Getting on in ChilCo will be easier, but you've still got to deal with all the construction from the Tank Farm north (unless you work in Montgomery).

Link Posted: 1/2/2011 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Getting on 65 in the morning is roughly equivalent to stabbing myself in the crotch with a hot iron.

Getting on in ChilCo will be easier, but you've still got to deal with all the construction from the Tank Farm north (unless you work in Montgomery).

Na, I work in north Bham. I'm hoping that the wife and I can get on the road early enough that we can miss most of the traffic. It seems that from Alabaster to 459 turns into a parking lot after about 7 AM.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in Shelby County too. Road construction is a real buzzkiller. Will it ever end?  Miles and miles of highway coned off with just a few dozen guys working frustrates me. Fortunately, i'm self-employed and can set a schedule that beats the traffic most days.  I'm not a fan of a long commute, but I don't want to live in the burbs forever,

That places looks really neat-good luck
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Not starting this week out very well.

it seems the pasture out front doesn't come with the property, which makes the house landlocked and pretty much neuters the whole damn property.....

I'm trying to track down the current owner of the pasture. Seriously, a $15,000 stick of grass is hosing this whole thing up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, so the pasture out front is out for now. I'm trying to track down the current owner. It appraised at 33k for the acres. I'm prepared to offer him 15, and be negotiated up to 20. IF I CAN FIND HIM!! He apparently lives somewhere in Florida...

We are moving forward with the purchase of the 5 acres though. Funny story from yesterday.

We put a contract in on the house about 2 weeks ago (give or take). We never got a signed copy back from the seller, which means the contract was never fully executed. During the two weeks they supposedly lost our contract, and lowered the price $15,000. So we found out about it last night. We are now officially executing the contract for the new, lower price.

Their stupidity saved me 15k.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ok, so the pasture out front is out for now. I'm trying to track down the current owner. It appraised at 33k for the acres. I'm prepared to offer him 15, and be negotiated up to 20. IF I CAN FIND HIM!! He apparently lives somewhere in Florida...

We are moving forward with the purchase of the 5 acres though. Funny story from yesterday.

We put a contract in on the house about 2 weeks ago (give or take). We never got a signed copy back from the seller, which means the contract was never fully executed. During the two weeks they supposedly lost our contract, and lowered the price $15,000. So we found out about it last night. We are now officially executing the contract for the new, lower price.

Their stupidity saved me 15k.

Nice! You can put that 15K towards the adjacent field!

I am actively looking for some acreage to get into. I have finally convinced my city girl that some land and a few extra dogs ain't such a bad idea.

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

IF I CAN FIND HIM!! He apparently lives somewhere in Florida...

Check out:  Chilton County GIS and lookup his info, and that of the surrounding property owners if you wish.

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF I CAN FIND HIM!! He apparently lives somewhere in Florida...

Check out:  Chilton County GIS and lookup his info, and that of the surrounding property owners if you wish.

You are the fucking man!!!

Found him after searching for about 2 minutes!!!

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice!  I hope he'll sell at the right price.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Nice!  I hope he'll sell at the right price.

Already talked to him. I'm making an offer this week.

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#17]
This place has no high-speed internet.

Anyone know what my options are? Satellite internet sucks!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's your cell reception there, if you've checked?

My wife works from home, computer-intensive, and she got by for a couple of years with a Verizon air-card until they finally made high-speed available here.

The air-card wasn't nearly as fast as our DSL now is, but it was way better than dial-up and her sister, who has satellite internet service, said it was much better than what she had as well (esp. WRT usage limits).

Oddly enough, its great in the yard, but doesn't exist in the house itself.

We are debating getting a cell repeater, but they are rather pricey.

We knew this would be an issue, and it is a sacrifice we are willing to make, but man I'd sure like to get something better than satellite.

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Im looking to do the same exact thing you are, except in the county immed south of you (either Autauga or Elmore)  what are you going to do for internet?  Im moving as I just got a job that allows me to work 100% remote, but low latency internet (non-satellite) is required.  Pine Belt wireless runs microwave, but they dont extend further east than Dallas county.

eta: DAMMIT
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Im looking to do the same exact thing you are, except in the county immed south of you (either Autauga or Elmore)  what are you going to do for internet?  Im moving as I just got a job that allows me to work 100% remote, but low latency internet (non-satellite) is required.  Pine Belt wireless runs microwave, but they dont extend further east than Dallas county.

Autauga county is nearly 100% mostly on high speed DSL and cable internet. It is also more expensive, and more densely populated.

Elmore county residents are called "elmorons" by non-elmore county residents. Because of this, land is cheap, but availability of high speed service is spotty in rural areas.

I have no idea what I'm going to do about my internet....

edited for accuracy

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

what, may I ask, do you do remotely?  I used to do some accounting and web work remotely, but it fizzled out.  Would really like to jump back on that.

/hijack
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
is that Creed?

Yes it is. Poor picture due to fitting Arfcom format.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chilton County  

Howdy neighbor. I swing by Chilton about once a month. I'm on the east side of Bibb off of Hwy 25.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what, may I ask, do you do remotely?  I used to do some accounting and web work remotely, but it fizzled out.  Would really like to jump back on that.

/hijack

outsourced/consultant network engineer
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

/hijack

it security here

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

+1, I ended up wasting $1000 on that option several years ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/hijack

it security here

for my website, would either of you answer a question for me - is it more feasible to host the individual html files for each of your webpages on a site under the main directory such as "\index.html", "\info.html", and so on, or, to place these pages in their own respective folders such as "\info\info.html", etc?  If you are creating and running all future prospective subpages off of the same template, then it is *easier* to host all pages under the main "\" directory, as the image references and everything will all correspond to the same "\images\*.*" folder or where ever for the WYSWIG software I am using (Seamonkey).  But, if this is more of a security or nonsensical risk, then I want to know before I get too deep in.  TIA
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

for my website, would either of you answer a question for me - is it more feasible to host the individual html files for each of your webpages on a site under the main directory such as "\index.html", "\info.html", and so on, or, to place these pages in their own respective folders such as "\info\info.html", etc?  If you are creating and running all future prospective subpages off of the same template, then it is *easier* to host all pages under the main "\" directory, as the image references and everything will all correspond to the same "\images\*.*" folder or where ever for the WYSWIG software I am using (Seamonkey).  But, if this is more of a security or nonsensical risk, then I want to know before I get too deep in.  TIA

There's no practical reason to have a directory for each page.  However, it is customary to group sets of HTML files.  For instance, when you visit ar15.com the INDEX.HTML file located in the root directory is displayed.  When you visit the forums the pages you see are in the /forums folder.  This is mainly for ease of maintenance, and usually has no bearing on security, although NTFS permissions can be changed on different folders (used for intranet sites mostly).

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's no practical reason to have a directory for each page.  However, it is customary to group sets of HTML files.  For instance, when you visit ar15.com the INDEX.HTML file located in the root directory is displayed.  When you visit the forums the pages you see are in the /forums folder.  This is mainly for ease of maintenance, and usually has no bearing on security, although NTFS permissions can be changed on different folders (used for intranet sites mostly).

+1

no security or functional value to having separate directories, other than logical grouping for organization's sake

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

One thing I learned about the air cards in very rural areas, it depends on the carrier.  I have had AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon in the boondocks where I live, only Verizon has been satisfactory, a guy just a couple of miles from me has very good luck with AT&T but cannot stay connected with Verizon.  I can't get a decent 3G signal on AT&T and the Sprint signal works most of the time, but gets flaky.

You might get some friends with phones from different carriers to evaluate the signal where you are.  The 3G or 4G data coverage by carrier varies a lot out here in the woods depending on exactly where you are.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Couple of things.
1. I found out that ATT claims to have 3meg DSL out there. Color me skeptical. I spent hours calling every ISP I could find in the area. ATT is my only non-cellular/non-satellite option.

2. My rate is 4.3 with an option to buy a point for $1000. I have this rate locked in with two lenders, and whoever has the cheapest closing costs is the winner.

3. Just got the contract back from the seller. GTG!! I've signed it all, and my RA is dropping it off to them Tuesday. As of Tuesday ~noon, I will be under a fully executed contract.

4. I've made an offer on the surrounding 11 acres and haven't heard back yet. I'm hoping to close on both at the same time. (house and land) My lenders have already agreed to finance both in the same loan.

5. Once my contract is delivered, we are getting the utilities turned on, and a survey and inspection ASAP.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#33]
GTG !! when is the 1st BBQ/shoot??
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

GTG !! when is the 1st BBQ/shoot??

The first weekend we are there! To hell with unpacking!

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#35]
bcauz3y, best of luck buying the surrounding land. I was finally able to do that on my land and it's great.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

bcauz3y, best of luck buying the surrounding land. I was finally able to do that on my land and it's great.

Thanks! I don't know anything yet on the extra land, but we now have a fully executed contract.

Now the timer really starts grinding.

I have to get the utilities turned on and the inspection and survey, etc, etc ASAP.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chilton County

At this point we are playing hell tracking down someone to sign addendum to the contract on the seller side. I'm guessing these folks take 6 weeks off for Christmas.

We have financing squared away, but we are waiting on the seller to turn on the utilities so the inspection can move forward. We are also forcing them to fix the mold, and whatever else the inspection finds wrong, which shouldn't be much, I've crawled the property with a magnifying glass.

Move to Chilton County but tell everyone how awful it is.  We don't want it to get too crowded down here.

Enjoy your new property.  Privacy and solitude is priceless.  It is a really nice place to raise a family.  

There are alot of good people here but there are the "usual suspects" that do 90% of the crime and somehow stay out of jail.  

Cameras that post picture activity to an internet site or an off-site location would be a good idea.  If you are in the county jurisdiction, response times are pretty lengthy, if at all.  Having camera footage will hopefully help in case of a break in.   A really good safe would also be a good idea.  

If you need help with anything send me a PM..
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#38]
This is not a tag  
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Finished the inspection today.

Anyone know a few good GCs around the clanton/southern bham area?
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#40]
What kind of work are you looking for?
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What kind of work are you looking for?

HVAC, demo-rebuild on all wood and rock in the entire basement, septic, minor plumbing, exterior paneling/sealing.

I can do this all myself, but the seller requires a "licensed profession". This I am surely not.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#42]
What do you mean as "rock"? Mason or drywall?
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

What do you mean as "rock"? Mason or drywall?

oh sorry, drywall.

Link Posted: 2/17/2011 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Dude, I'm super jealous.  I would like to have some property like that one day, myself.  I'm young, so I'll keep my hopes up.

I hope you're able to take care of those repairs without too much trouble.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Drywall> James Spears 369-5566. I used his company to drywall my kitchen.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#46]
First off, thanks to everyone. You guys rock.

I've got 4 contractors bidding for the repairs which are more numerous than I expected.

All three heat pump/ac units are dead as hell, and original, so they must be replaced.

The finished basement apartment has to be completely demo'ed and rebuilt.

Those are the two biggest and costly problems I'm fighting right now. Electrical is in top shape, and plumbing is good.

The metal roof has a few minor problems, like missing or damaged flashing in a few places.

Apparently the previous owner was a prepper, because there what I presume to be a reloading bench and food shelves in the garage.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Be sure to spec a variable speed furnace to go with the heat pumps (if you are replacing the furnace/blower unit).  It will allow you to use a more efficient heat pump.  I did not know that and got a cheaper fixed speed furnace/blower unit years ago, that limited my options dramatically when I had to replace the heat pump this year.

BTW, do not get a Goodman heat pump unit.  They are contractor grade crap and are bottom rated by Consumer Reports.  I had to put $1000 in labor (parts are replaced under warranty, but labor is not and will kill you) in ours for repairs.  I gave up and replaced it after 5 years.  A friend has had similar bad luck.  I normally say extended warranties are a waste, but bought a 10 year parts/labor warranty for the Trane unit we bought.

BTW, those are not even close to prepper shelves
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Be sure to spec a variable speed furnace to go with the heat pumps (if you are replacing the furnace/blower unit).  It will allow you to use a more efficient heat pump.  I did not know that and got a cheaper fixed speed furnace/blower unit years ago, that limited my options dramatically when I had to replace the heat pump this year.

BTW, do not get a Goodman heat pump unit.  They are contractor grade crap and are bottom rated by Consumer Reports.  I had to put $1000 in labor (parts are replaced under warranty, but labor is not and will kill you) in ours for repairs.  I gave up and replaced it after 5 years.  A friend has had similar bad luck.  I normally say extended warranties are a waste, but bought a 10 year parts/labor warranty for the Trane unit we bought.

BTW, those are not even close to prepper shelves

Great advice!

I'm dealing with "contractor grade" shit at my current home right now. I was lucky, and the HVAC guy I'm using is a fellow first responder, and will treat us well.

Haha! I'd wager the guy was a beginner, like me. What do you suppose that room was used for?

Link Posted: 2/22/2011 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#49]
It might actually have been a preparedness storage room - it looks like a cutout in the wall for an AC unit, to keep one room cool for food storage.  Bigger shelving units would make a lot more efficient use of the volume of the room (think homemade out of 2x6 uprights, 2x4 horizontal members, and 4x8 sheets of plywood).  With the small amount of shelving there now and the workbench, it just looks like a workbench/shop type room.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

It might actually have been a preparedness storage room - it looks like a cutout in the wall for an AC unit, to keep one room cool for food storage.  Bigger shelving units would make a lot more efficient use of the volume of the room (think homemade out of 2x6 uprights, 2x4 horizontal members, and 4x8 sheets of plywood).  With the small amount of shelving there now and the workbench, it just looks like a workbench/shop type room.
It could have been that too.

I'm pretty sure that is going to be my reloading bench, and those shelves, once upgraded and expanded, will be my food storage. Although I will likely dedicate another room on the other side of that wall as additional food storage.

Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top