Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2016 8:04:20 PM EDT
Is it legal to hunt with my 300blk SBR AR-15 this year?
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes (private land)

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Ooops missed it was a SBR - my bad.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, you cannot hunt with it--even on private land.

Here is a copy/paste from one of my emails from the DNR:

Here are three questions that will guide you to the correct answers:

1. Does the rifle have a barrel at least 16 inches long?
2. Is the rifle chambered to fire a cartridge with a case length of at least 1.16 inches?
3. Does that cartridge fire a bullet that is either .243 inches or .308 inches in diameter (or their metric equivalents, 6mm and 7.62mm, respectively)?

If the answer is yes to all three, then it’s legal under HEA 1231, a law passed earlier this year by the State Legislature.

If the answer is “no” to any of those three questions, it does not meet the HEA 1231 standards for new rifle options.
View Quote

So if we use the States definition a gun with a barrel less than 16" is a handgun....so then it is legal to use.

You could of legally used the 300 blackout in a pistol config for years.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So if we use the States definition a gun with a barrel less than 16" is a handgun....so then it is legal to use.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, you cannot hunt with it--even on private land.

Here is a copy/paste from one of my emails from the DNR:

Here are three questions that will guide you to the correct answers:

1. Does the rifle have a barrel at least 16 inches long?

2. Is the rifle chambered to fire a cartridge with a case length of at least 1.16 inches?

3. Does that cartridge fire a bullet that is either .243 inches or .308 inches in diameter (or their metric equivalents, 6mm and 7.62mm, respectively)?

If the answer is yes to all three, then it’s legal under HEA 1231, a law passed earlier this year by the State Legislature.

If the answer is "no” to any of those three questions, it does not meet the HEA 1231 standards for new rifle options.

I just put a pistol buffer on my SBR and take it to the stand.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Pistol form only.  I was called by DNR a few years ago and asked a lot of questions about using it in pistol form.  The CO did confirm a pistol was ok, but not an SBR.

As cheap as lowers and parts are these days just build a dedicated pistol lower and avoid any potential issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top