Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2016 10:23:58 PM EDT
The wife and I go to a restaurant to drink beer (we have two to three beers there, on the weekends) at least in the bar section. Is it legal to cc in Indiana at a bar? I know it's not in Kentucky. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Not if you are carrying on a KY license as you must follow the rules of the State the license is issued by as well while in IN - although many LEO's do not realize it. I have stated the statute in this forum more than once and what I have stated is what it says even though a few don't understand it that way. (they are wrong)

Why not - One more time:

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign
countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only
while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Otherwise it is legal in IN.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not if you are carrying on a KY license as you must follow the rules of the State the license is issued by as well while in IN - although many LEO's do not realize it. I have stated the statute in this forum more than once and what I have stated is what it says even though a few don't understand it that way. (they are wrong)

Why not - One more time:

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why not - One more time:

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

View Quote

My favorite is the dude who argued till he was blue in his face that it would be Indiana cops enforcing Kentucky law.

Like he couldn't understand that violating the provisions of Ind. Code § 35-47-2-21 Section B and being charged under Ind. Code § 35-47-2-1 was actually enforcing Indiana law.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My favorite is the dude who argued till he was blue in his face that it would be Indiana cops enforcing Kentucky law.

Like he couldn't understand that violating the provisions of Ind. Code § 35-47-2-21 Section B and being charged under Ind. Code § 35-47-2-1 was actually enforcing Indiana law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not - One more time:

Yeah, I remember that one. Give it few shots and if they still refuse to look at reality all one can do is stop responding to anything they post.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I just avoid going where I can't carry.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I will add to this but will start off by saying, I am not a lawyer and I am only repeating what I have read/heard by some other Indiana lawyers on this matter.

While it has been pretty widely posted that you must follow the laws of the state that issued your license, some lawyers say there is a great deal of ambiguity in the "according to the terms thereof" statement. While some read that to mean "you must follow the laws of your state", others read it to simply mean "the terms of the license and not necessarily all the laws of the state". The word "terms" does not necessarily mean the same as the word "laws".

By my understanding "Terms of the license" would be things like age, arrest/conviction history, drug user etc.

IE, Indiana doesn't permit a convicted domestic abuser or drug user to have an Indiana LTCH. However, if Kentucky does permit a drug user to have a CCW/LTCH then that person could still carry in Indiana even though they would not be a qualified person in Indiana as long as Indiana doesn't have any other laws regarding the matter.

That being said, this has never been tested in court as far as I know so until it has I recommend that you follow the laws of your state & Indiana both to be certain you are covered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top