Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2015 4:03:27 PM EDT
Just called the folks over at Ciyou & Dixon Law Firm to talk with Bryan Ciyou about internet trust template providers and whether I needed to have one reviewed here in IN for any reason.  He wasn't in, but the admin told me they no longer work with NFA trusts at all, and cited "a change in the law" as the reason they got out of it.  Now, Bryan Ciyou is the guy that wrote the green book that is the Indiana Gun Law bible (don't recall the name of the book though), and when I spoke with him a few years back at a gun show, he seemed to be in it for life as far as keeping the book current and working on gun law in Indiana.  Anybody know what changed in the law, or what they might be referring to?
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a change coming, but it hasn't been implemented yet.

I believe all trustees will be required to submit fingerprints and LEO sign-offs.  That essentially closes the NFA door to people with LEO refusals to sign.  

Trusts were convenient because of the LEO process, but it will still be a valid way to buy NFA items because of shared possession and inheritance.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The change was, for sure,  going into effect December of 14'. It didn't . Then rumors were circulating that early summer it was happening. Now we are back to December 15' for reconsideration. So who really knows. I know guys that took out loans to buy silencers and SBR all their lowers in 14'. I would not put it past this administration but as far as I'm concerned it's still very much in the air.
 That said, if I had a business setting up trusts for NFA items I would not stop till the fat lady had sung.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
And what, if anything, are trusts supposed to do that already have items in order to stay compliant?
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And what, if anything, are trusts supposed to do that already have items in order to stay compliant?
View Quote

They are saying that it changes all awaiting in the que (as well as those that have been previously approved) will be grandfathered. Going forward all trusts will go through the extra steps. Finger prints, LEO sign off, etc,
   This is why several are getting them: because their LEO will not sign.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]
There have been no changes.  I do hundreds of these.  I don't plan on there being any changes.

Call an attorney who will actually take your call.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 3:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There have been no changes.  I do hundreds of these.  I don't plan on there being any changes.

View Quote

Can't say enough good things about this guy. Most painless experience Ive had with an attorney in a long ling time.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Can't say enough good things about this guy. Most painless experience Ive had with an attorney in a long ling time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marc made my trust experience "easy as pie".  I've used it numerous times...........easy sailing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm here to answer questions about the new changes coming in several months
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Does it affect existing trusts?

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are they?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#12]

and yes.  it will affect existing trusts.  get your trusts made and your purchases done in the next 6-8 months to avoid fingerprinting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#13]
These changes are a fucking nightmare for any company using NFA items. Fingerprinting the entire board of fucking directors.
I'd be embarrassed if I was with a wildlife management organization and had to fingerprint every old man on the board so that wildlife management personnel can still get cans.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah.  I feel ya.  The good thing is the relatively little impact to trusts as a whole.  Still hope for someone undoing this or challenging it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Has the 180 days started on this yet?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has the 180 days started on this yet?
View Quote

Yes. I believe it takes effect on 7/2.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#17]
7/13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top