Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2015 1:38:00 PM EDT
Ill be moving to SBN for work, and I'm looking for a place (just me, no wife/kids etc) . Ill be working at the SBN airport, what are some decent areas to live that aren't super far away? I understand there are some very bad areas you want to stay out of? Any nice longer range rifle ranges in the area? How about local gun stores? Anyone live across the border in MI?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Mishawaka over SB....Plenty of good gun shops around...Can't help you with a long yardage range.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
That you shouldn't. You know how cities have that one bad side? South Bend is the state's bad side.
Move to Granger or out in the county outside of SB. If I was going to go back I'd go back to the county around the state park.

Midwest is probably the only worthwhile range. I hear Femme Fatale is a nice store.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Just stay to the east. Everything west of downtown is very rough. I have a buddy who lives near Ironwood and Ireland Rd., seems like an okay area, but avoiding SB altogether is still your best bet.

+1 for Mishawaka.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Mishawaka and would not live in South Bend.  I work not far from the airport.  You could look at New Carlisle to live.

Where in MN are you coming from?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Another choice would be to live over the border in Michigan, around Niles or Buchanan.  It would be a quick trip down the 31 bypass to work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have kids then I would stay out of the SB area or consider catholic schools.

Anything near the airport is shit and the closer you move down lincolnway towards town the worse it gets.

Look at North Liberty as many people have fled SB for this location or you can move to Granger. Mishawaka is ok , but really it has some shitty spots like all towns.

Midwest will be the best selection , but not always the best price.

Femme Fatale , how are they still in business honestly??

Top Shot - Meh

Lens'- for reloading if you get to know him

Granger - is that one still open?

There are a few more around , but those are the close ones.

Ranges

Kodiak - indoor on the south side of town, which is not a bad place to live either

Midwest - Elkhart area

Kingbury - DNR controlled range for rifle, pistol, and shot gun

BRC - Member only just northwest of the airport.

STJCC - Also a member only place , kind of small but nice

If you are working for or in the airport ask for a guy named Brandon he is a realtor and  TSA.

Welcome to the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#7]
BORRC - Member only just northwest of the airport.
View Quote

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Indiana gun laws are much better than Michigan's.

West of South Bend is not too bad towards New Carlisle but there's not much out there. Granger and South Bend south of the US20 bypass is nice as well.

Hit me up if you want to go shooting at http://www.sjcrc.us/
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
New Carlisle is nice little town and not far from the airport. From New Carlisle the Michigan City Rifle Club isn't too far and has a 200 yard rifle range and an indoor pistol range if you want to become a member.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I lived in Mishawaka for four years and just bought a house on the Michigan side of the line, just North of the Airport.  Glad I did.  The west side of South Bend is comparable to the South side of Chicago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I lived in Mishawaka for four years and just bought a house on the Michigan side of the line, just North of the Airport.  Glad I did.  The west side of South Bend is comparable to the South side of Chicago.
View Quote

So far, the apartments ive been looking at are almost all in Mishawaka. The thing about me is that Im moving down alone. No gf, wife, kids etc. I want to be around stuff, bc I will be needing to get out and meet people. A place out in the country sounds nice, but it wont help my social life (I'm only 28)

Where did you live in Mishawaka? Any Apartments you'd recommend?  

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Indiana gun laws are much better than Michigan's.

West of South Bend is not too bad towards New Carlisle but there's not much out there. Granger and South Bend south of the US20 bypass is nice as well.

Hit me up if you want to go shooting at http://www.sjcrc.us/
View Quote
Will do!

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's crappy but it's not that bad. I live next to Gary so I'm hard to impress though.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Check out autumn Lakes on the south side of south bend / Mishawaka. It's somewhat in the country and just off the bypass , so easy access to anywhere. My buddy lived there for 3 years and never had any issues other than normal apartment life stuff.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So far, the apartments ive been looking at are almost all in Mishawaka. The thing about me is that Im moving down alone. No gf, wife, kids etc. I want to be around stuff, bc I will be needing to get out and meet people. A place out in the country sounds nice, but it wont help my social life (I'm only 28)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in the Indian Lakes apartments on the North end of Main St in Mishawaka.  I would recommend this place to anybody looking for an apartment.  Lots of Notre Dame grad students.  No hood rats.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I lived in the Indian Lakes apartments on the North end of Main St in Mishawaka.  I would recommend this place to anybody looking for an apartment.  Lots of Notre Dame grad students.  No hood rats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol no way! That's the one place I applied too yesterday after narrowing apts down to 4-5 places. Good to know I read the tea leaves right!

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Check out autumn Lakes on the south side of south bend / Mishawaka. It's somewhat in the country and just off the bypass , so easy access to anywhere. My buddy lived there for 3 years and never had any issues other than normal apartment life stuff.
View Quote
That and Indian lakes were my first picks, but autum

Was full until June
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#18]
being over the border in MI isn't too far from civilization. 10-15 minutes away isn't too far to drive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I LOVE the fact I have moved over the border into Michigan, everything but the goddamned car insurance.  What a scam that is.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I LOVE the fact I have moved over the border into Michigan, everything but the goddamned car insurance.  What a scam that is.
View Quote

Wouldn't be bad except for the CCW classes and pistol registration.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I hate the idea of it, the pistol registration process is really simple.   The CPL course isn't hard either.  At the club I belong to (BORCC) they charge half price for members ($60.)  The actual permit is a little over $100.  Nice new feature is they got rid of the gun board hassle.  Any questions a gun board would've had that would disqualify a person are already on the application form.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Im thinking of joining this year BTW. Just have to find some extra time....
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Come on out on a 3rd thursday of the month.  The club changed their membership term from starting in January to July.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Come on out on a 3rd thursday of the month.  The club changed their membership term from starting in January to July.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

It looks like they allow .50BMG there as well?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Yes.  We have a few members with .50's plus AEP's security uses our range to qualify their officers on their Barretts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, im still alive! I love south bend so far! I got lost on the way home from work, and drove through the ND campus. Wow, so that's what a college that doesn't suck is like lol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Come out to a tailgate party this year  and see the wildlife!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I just bought a house by the airport in the Ardmore area. It's not bad, but if I'd had the funds I'd be in New Carlisle. There's plenty of places to shoot if you make friends. It's farm country man! There's also some pretty cool places to take off road toys not far away.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I live in Granger and really, really like it here.
At one time, IIRC, I understood that Granger had 60+ subdivisions.  I live in Quail Ridge North, Knollwood which backs up against the Michigan state line.  Just south of me is Quail Ridge South, which is a subdivision literally 1 mile by 1 mile.

Just to east of my sub is a small one with four houses, I think.  Realtor told us when we were looking at the house we're in now that the cheapest one in that small subdivision went for 1.5 million.

I lived on the northwest side of South Bend for a little over a year when I moved here.  We were on the edge of the combat zone.  Twice I lay in bed and counted gunshots.  I was quite pleased to move out of there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#30]
You should also check out Sheltons and Lowerys in Michigan for some awesome deals on meat. Both places have amazing brats.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You should also check out Sheltons and Lowerys in Michigan for some awesome deals on meat. Both places have amazing brats.

View Quote

This. Lowreys in Buchanan is awesome!
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#32]
It's amazing how full Lowery's parking lot is on a regular basis.  I've seen people in the checkout lane with two shopping carts full of meat!  There are some times it's nearly impossible to get in there (like when the EBT / WIC money arrives.)  Otherwise talk to the locals and find out what days there's less traffic.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I have to be honest, Loweys' smells lime a dirty cat box inside.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have to be honest, Loweys' smells lime a dirty cat box inside.

View Quote

A buddy of mine used to own a butcher shop.  Kept the place spotless, and it and still had that old dried up blood smell.  Places that process the entire animal (as opposed to places that receive cuts from processors ) cannot completely eliminate that smell.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#35]
So it is more of "glue factory lite" scent? Warped dirty ceiling tiles and molding strawberries don't impress me either. The brats certainly do, but my wife won't eat them because of the store's appearance. Oddly enough she ate jerk chicken from a barrel grill next to a river in Jamaica, go figure.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top