Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 6:30:53 PM EDT
A buddy and myself are looking to hike/camp and Shades State Park here soon, and I'm trying to make sense of the rules.  It states "Camping is permitted only in the campground. Youth groups must be under adult supervision."  What exactly does this mean?  We were wanting to try out some gear, etc. and was just wanting to go off the trail at some point and find a random spot to make camp, but is that a no no?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup. That's a no no. They have a backpack campground that's only accessible by hiking that provides for a more primitive experience, but you still have to camp in designated areas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#2]
So is there public land in Indiana that you can truly camp? Not saying we will but has anyone dealt with enforcement on this, would we just be fined if a park ranger stumbled upon us?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm too old to be causing trouble, but we were really wanting to try out some gear and have the feel of truly camping.  I guess we could get by camping at one of the designated spots, just takes away from being immersed in the experience.  The one thing that comes to mind for me is I was wanting to use my hammock, I'm thinking the designated spots might not have the proper set up to use it.  Well shit, I'm torn..... thanks for the input guys, just another reason I want some land of my own! ha
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#5]
my boys and I camp at HNF, plenty of areas to get lost in.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was going to say the Hoosier National Forest, but when I researched it, I found that while you can camp outside of a designated campground, you must camp within 40 yards of the road.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/hoosier/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=41466&actid=34
View Quote

I'm not reading that the same way you are but it is confusing... what is the difference between dispersed camping and roadside camping???

I can say that I've hiked in HNF (a lot in Deam) and I've seen people plop tents anywhere they want to... Generally they are 20-50 feet off the trail;  I would want to be further off the trail though...

IMHO, if the OP wants the closest he can get to roughing it in some remote areas HNF is one of the few places he will find in Indiana that he can do so...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The same buddy and I had went to HNF a few summers ago and have camped about a half mile off a trail.  Shades would be closer for us and wanted to give it a look, but HNF is the opposite direction and would only add about 15 minutes to the trip, maybe we should consider going back to HNF
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Look into the Knobstone trail in South-Central Indiana. Approx 46 miles of trail and primitive camping/fires are kosher.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that will be a little out of our range.....definitely something to keep in mind when we have more time for travel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Morgan Monroe has a Back country area that I have done this year. It is Free. Also plenty of water to be found in the ravines and small creeks.
Link with a map to show Back country area.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/fo-MMSF.pdf
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the all the suggestions/input........... we ended up going back to HNF.  It was a short trip but nice, was able to try out some of our gear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top