Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2017 9:54:58 AM EDT
A relative in Maryland recently bought a licensed dealership.  I asked him for the price to have a handgun transferred to an FFL here in Florida.

He said that Maryland law prohibits the transfer of handguns to any FFL in any state that "does not touch Maryland."

I've looked through a dozen Google links, pored through the statutes, and can find no mention of any law that would prohibit him from transferring a handgun to my dealer.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
not in the law that i know of.

but his shop, his rules.  get it someplace else
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not in the law that i know of.

but his shop, his rules.  get it someplace else
View Quote
It's not a question of his right to refuse.  I want to help my relative understand that if he has incorrect information, he's ignoring potential revenue.  And if he can sell me the gun cheaper than I can buy it elsewhere, I'd like to buy it from him.  Even if it's a bit more from him than I can buy it elsewhere, I would, in order to help him succeed.  That's MY choice.

But thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Have him call another MD shop and ask if they will transfer to Florida? Might show him the light

Or the MSP?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have him call another MD shop and ask if they will transfer to Florida? Might show him the light

Or the MSP?
View Quote
First suggestion is OK.

I don't trust the cops to know firearm laws.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
well its a FFL, have him call atf
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, maybe your relative should have done some research before opening up a shop . I thinks sales are something of an important aspect to having a  successful gun shop.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wow, maybe your relative should have done some research before opening up a shop . I thinks sales are something of an important aspect to having a  successful gun shop.
View Quote

You're right.  Maryland firearms laws are so easy to understand. And I'm sure he never spoke with anyone who gave him incorrect information.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
well its a FFL, have him call atf
View Quote

Maryland has quite a few restrictions that federal law does not - especially when it comes to handguns.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm beginning to think that none of you actually know your state gun laws, since I haven't gotten a definitive answer.

Thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#10]
your talking about selling across state lines, thats a federal issue

md cannot ban the transfer to another state

hence i said contact the atf

maryland can regulate what can be sold in state, but not out of state.
they may limit the dealer to maryland compliant handguns

so if you ok with that being transferred to florida, have at it
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
your talking about selling across state lines, thats a federal issue

md cannot ban the transfer to another state

hence i said contact the atf

maryland can regulate what can be sold in state, but not out of state.
they may limit the dealer to maryland compliant handguns

so if you ok with that being transferred to florida, have at it
View Quote
Thank you for clarifying that.  This helps.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll close the thread with this:

You know how the game 'Telephone' worked when we were kids?  I whisper something to you, who whispers it to someone else, and so on, and the original message gets lost in translation?

[Me] (in a text message to my Aunt)  "Can you ask your son for my price on a Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 629 with a 4" barrel, shipping to my FFL in Florida?"

[Aunt] (Reply)  "He says he can't sell a handgun to anyone that's not in a neighboring state."

[Me] (Bugging the Maryland forum...)  "Help me!"

[Me] (Finally calling the son directly...)  "I've researched this, and I can't find anything in the Maryland statutes that would prohibit you from shipping to my FFL here in Florida.

[Him] "Of course I can ship it to an FFL.  Mom asked if I could ship the gun to you, and gave me your home address.  I told her I couldn't DIRECTLY sell it to to anyone outside of Maryland."

Sorry guys.  And thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm sorry but your relative needs to get out the firearm business.  This is FFL 101.  What does he want you to do, prove a negative?  If he says this is the law, then have him show you the law.  Simple.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but your relative needs to get out the firearm business.  This is FFL 101.  What does he want you to do, prove a negative?  If he says this is the law, then have him show you the law.  Simple.
View Quote

dude read the last post. it was a miscommunication
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm guilty of that sometimes - reading the first post and immediately commenting, without reading through the whole thread.

I call it, "Drive-By Posting."

I'll usually take the time to read everything in a 1 or 2 page thread before commenting... but not always.  So I get it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I am glad you got it sorted out. I came to post that there is no issue sending to an out of state FFL, but I see where the issue arose.

Now for what is really important, where is his shop? I am always looking for new dealers to try out. I have one I consistently use, but always pop into others whenever I'm on the road just to check them out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am glad you got it sorted out. I came to post that there is no issue sending to an out of state FFL, but I see where the issue arose.

Now for what is really important, where is his shop? I am always looking for new dealers to try out. I have one I consistently use, but always pop into others whenever I'm on the road just to check them out.
View Quote
Top Gun Firearms & Jewelry
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow! Literally 3 or 4 minutes from my house. I'll definitely swing by there for a look. That's formerly Bel Air gun and pawn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top