Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2017 2:52:20 PM EDT
I may be moving to Maryland from a free state. My friends in Maryland have given me conflicting info on what is allowed in Maryland and what is not.

Do I have to register each handgun or long gun?

Can I move there with AR15's or do I have to neuter them first?

Is there a complete CA or MA style ban?

Any info will be apreciated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
A thread over at MD Shooters covers a lot of it: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=158200

It's a PITA living here with guns but welcome, there's still a few decent folk around MD.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:05:00 AM EDT
[#2]
MD is very complicated.

All handguns must be registered within 90 days of arriving here. MD also has an assault weapon ban. Any weapons owned on or before 10/1/2013 are grandfathered in and must be registered same as handguns. If they were purchased AFTER they are completely banned and may not be brought into the state at all. You have to get rid of them before you arrive here.  

ARs are generally a banned weapon unless owned prior to 10/1/13. There is also the HBAR exception.  A rifle with a heavy barrel is completely kosher, cash and carry, non-banned.  Some piston ARs are also non-banned because they are not deemed copycat weapons but this is really getting into the weeds.

You can bring in all your mags of any capacity. MD has a 10 round limit on mags, but only for sale/transfer WITHIN Maryland. Once you are a MD resident, you can also pop across into PA, VA, DE, etc and buy anything you want and bring it back.

Transport is also complicated. You can not transport a handgun except to any approved locations. Read up on this, the specifics are too long to type out.

You will not be able to buy any new handguns until you apply for and get your HQL (Handgun Qualification License).

Lots of info over at MDShooters but you will need to take the time to go through everything.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#3]
as a resident of md, i sasy this.

dont, go to del, va, pa, and commute

but what has been said above is accurate.

what hasnt been said is this
dont ever plan on getting a carry permit under the current laws.
G&S rules out 99% of of the population
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MD is very complicated.

All handguns must be registered within 90 days of arriving here. MD also has an assault weapon ban. Any weapons owned on or before 10/1/2013 are grandfathered in and must be registered same as handguns. If they were purchased AFTER they are completely banned and may not be brought into the state at all. You have to get rid of them before you arrive here.  

ARs are generally a banned weapon unless owned prior to 10/1/13. There is also the HBAR exception.  A rifle with a heavy barrel is completely kosher, cash and carry, non-banned.  Some piston ARs are also non-banned because they are not deemed copycat weapons but this is really getting into the weeds.

You can bring in all your mags of any capacity. MD has a 10 round limit on mags, but only for sale/transfer WITHIN Maryland. Once you are a MD resident, you can also pop across into PA, VA, DE, etc and buy anything you want and bring it back.

Transport is also complicated. You can not transport a handgun except to any approved locations. Read up on this, the specifics are too long to type out.

You will not be able to buy any new handguns until you apply for and get your HQL (Handgun Qualification License).

Lots of info over at MDShooters but you will need to take the time to go through everything.  Good luck!
View Quote

there's a lot about Maryland that sucks and while it is not PA when it comes to guns, its not even close to being how bad NJ and NY and Ca are

the AWB, its unenforced by MSP as its was retardedly written.

there is a very narrow window of configuration in which AR's are banned, that configuration is a standard weight barrel over 16 inches. everything else is practically good to go
Colt 6920, banned

colt 6920 Socom, Legal, advertised as Heavy Barrel.
colt 6920 purchased prior to 10/13,legal
Colt 6921, SBR, Legal, exempt from AWB
300 blackout, Legal, not chambered in the round that the AR was designed for
any piston AR, Legal, banned rifle is DI
KAC/LMT legal, Ambi lower/QD barrels.
AR pistol in any caliber, Legal, exempt from AWB

Standard AK47 variants, banned.
standard AK74 variants, Legal
Any variant of Krink, legal, SBR, exempt from AWB
any AK pistol, Legal, exempt from AWB

practically speaking anything that was designed in the past 10 years is cash and carry, Sig MPX/MCX, SCAR's,AUGA1 Tavors, CZ Brens/scorpions are all good to go.

anything bushmaster, Banned, M1A's, FAL's, original AUG's banned

the state police are so lost and give such little fucks that they even publicly advise that their list of banned weapons is not legally binding as they are not experts on the matter.  I shit you not.

canceled carry,  isn't going to happen, doesn't matter if you work for the CIA, the state police will ball up your application and bank shot it off your forehead into the trash. got mugged and threatened, not enough, because muggings are usually random. now, if you are say a plumber or election that owns your own business, no problem, just bring deposit receipts.

does Maryland suck, absolutely, but we don't have it as bad as some states,  planning on getting back across the PA border one day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top