Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 3:58:52 PM EDT
Hello, so I'm looking to buy a trailer from a guy. He lost the title and  never got it put in his name and the guy he bought it from has passed away.
So does anyone know how i could get it titled in MD? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I never had a title for my trailer as it was a military surplus I bought from a member here. Titled it in Maine with a bill of sale. Legal and considerably cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You might be able to do it as a homemade trailer in md.

Maine registration used to be easy, but they wont let you register homemade trailers anymore.  

I would just call a tag and title place.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Take it apart and rebuild it
Put new water proof led lights on it new wood and repaint it. Reweld any bad parts

Take pictures and keep receipts of all the work and parts you replaced.
Go to DMV get temp tags so you can get it inspected.

Once you have the inspection, pictures ( helps if you are in them) of you working on it and receipt of parts and any work you had done. Take it all to DMV and fill out forms for homemade trailer. Once done they will give you a VIN plate that you have to affix to your trailer a new title and tags.
It is a pia but doable.

If you go this route make sure you get the trailer very cheep and a bill of sale with all the sellers information and signature.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Had to go through this about two months ago. My folks had a trailer that sat in the woods for about 25 years so I rebuilt it 5 years ago and tagged it in Maine. When I went to renew with Maine, they said I have to have a title and paperwork from MD. The whole point of going with Maine was to avoid dealing with MD. After exploring that for about 5 seconds, I asked my folks (who are down in SC now) if they could see if registering it there would be easier. A quick trip to their DMV and $87 later, we have lifetime plates and a title for it. Fuck Maryland.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top