Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2016 3:01:20 AM EDT
Looking to move a job in DC that I've been trying to get. Job is important for career, I know DC area sucks...Ive been and lived there.

I have several firearms, I have several handguns. I am not willing to sell any firearms or components in order to comply, so if my stuff i illegal, I will simply have to live somewhere its legal. I won't compromise my rights, I won't break the law.

How hard is it to get a CHL in MD? How bad are self defense laws in MD?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Carry permit is very hard to get.  Most people dont even bother trying.  I think the easiest way, is to be self employed, and prove you carry large sums of cash often.  If your new job is something like that, you have a chance.  If not, you are probably SOL.  I would imagine self defense laws fall in line with everything else gun related, and suck.

Moving to virginia and commuting north is probably a better option.  You dont even want to get caught in dc with ammo so keep that in mind too.

Eta:  I would consider the surrounding states.  Depending where you are working, and what time you are going to be travelling, the commute might be worth it.  Hell, even i can get to dc in 90 min if i miss rush hour.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Job would be in DC. VA would be great, but its fucking expensive. I have no clue why, it makes literally no sense why property is that expensive in VA, but in MD its suddenly less expensive.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Job would be in DC. VA would be great, but its fucking expensive. I have no clue why, it makes literally no sense why property is that expensive in VA, but in MD its suddenly less expensive.
View Quote

Because VA>MD
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because VA>MD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because VA>MD

I'd love to live there, but housing is irrationally high.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
CHL is basically a nogo, but you should join Maryland Shall Issue if you come here.

Most of your stuff should be legal, but you will have to register the pistols. Ar's and AK's....it depends. The situation is easy (I think) if you owned them before 2013, otherwise kinda a grey area. HBAR AR's don't need to be registered.

https://www.mdshooters.com/
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Registration is VOLUNTARY you do not need to register them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CHL is basically a nogo, but you should join Maryland Shall Issue if you come here.

Most of your stuff should be legal, but you will have to register the pistols. Ar's and AK's....it depends. The situation is easy (I think) if you owned them before 2013, otherwise kinda a grey area. HBAR AR's don't need to be registered.

I don't keep track of when I bought all my firearms...Living in Texas there has never been a reason to. And registration is voluntary? I'd need to see fine print from the State of MD on that. Im not taking chances.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because VA>MD

You obviously haven't done much searching in maryland then.  Or you're looking in really baaaaad areas lol.  The closer you get to DC on the MD side, the worse the neighborhoods are.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't keep track of when I bought all my firearms...Living in Texas there has never been a reason to. And registration is voluntary? I'd need to see fine print from the State of MD on that. Im not taking chances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing you have to register in MD are machineguns.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You obviously haven't done much searching in maryland then.  Or you're looking in really baaaaad areas lol.  The closer you get to DC on the MD side, the worse the neighborhoods are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because VA>MD

To clarify: VA is irrationally high. MD is lower in price, but every neighborhood looks shitty near DC.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

To clarify: VA is irrationally high. MD is lower in price, but every neighborhood looks shitty near DC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because VA>MD

VA isn't irrationally high unless you're looking at high-rise condos near Arlington that overlook the Potomac and DC.  Go out toward Springfield/Woodbridge area and it's far more reasonable for the area.

That said I'm still in the running for a PCS to Texas and I've been praying to almighty motherfucking Chuck that I get it.  Soooooo sick of the cost of living and bullshit laws out here.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I moved to NOVA after 30 years in MD, mostly in the northern PG County area.  Apart from cheaper housing other things I liked about being in MD: I was extremely close to downtown DC by Metro or driving, the huge numbers of parks and bike trails, the more country feel (compared to NOVA), and being close to Baltimore, Annapolis, the Bay, and a lot of other places.  I still go to MD all the time.  

Are you renting or buying?  Buying is outrageously expensive in close-in VA.  Buying is more affordable in PG County, MD and most of PG County is a decent place to live despite its reputation.  The commuter rail service in MD is better than VA (faster).  I know people who live in West Virginia and take the MARC rail to downtown DC for work.  

But taxes (income, property, sales, gas) are lower in VA.  Some other costs are also lower, like electricity and water utilities and insurance (my car insurance is half what it was in MD).  Traffic is bad in MD and horrible in VA.  

Read up on the MD gun laws, they are ugly, but many in MD manage to put together nice collections and go shooting despite the crazy laws.  

There is an excellent MD shooter forum at mdshooters,com.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
many in MD manage to put together nice collections and go shooting despite the crazy laws.  
View Quote

Only due to blind/dumb luck (.mil exempt from certain things) or by getting receivers bought or 80's milled before the "Safety Act" took effect 10/2013.  I have several "pre-ban" lowers I can still build whatever I want on; friends who PCS'd here after then are shit out of luck and have to build HBARs, pistols, or SBR's no shorter than 29" OAL only.  Can't buy/build AKs, and non-mil have to spend a lot of money for a new "license" to show they're "qualified" to own a handgun.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top