Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 7:16:12 PM EDT
I'm finding myself traveling up to Maryland about once or twice a month.  As part of these trips, I'd really like to bring some of my SBRs with me for trips to the range with friends.  I've filed numerous 5320.20s that have all been denied (yet no letter was ever mailed back to me, thanks BATFE).  After calling the BATFE today, I found out that the gentleman that's denying them is doing so because of SB281 and his interpretation of SBRs being illegal if they are made / purchased after October, 2013.  Not that it should matter, but none of my SBRs have heavy barrels.

Here's my question:

Has anybody here been approved to make an SBR in Maryland after 2013?  Surely there's a few.  If so, could you please provide me with some kind of document number like your 5320.1 Control Number that I could use as a reference for when I call him back with some researched information?  I know that people won't really want to make this information public knowledge, so please IM me if you can be of any help.

or

Does anybody have a link to something put out by the state's Attorney General or State Police that explicitly says that non-HBAR SBRs made after October 2013 are legal?  Yeah, I know that's a long shot.

I've searched through MDShooters.  I couldn't find anything useful on this subject.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Just do it

Ain't nobody gonna mess with ya
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
There are a number of things I don't do in life, one is filling out trip tickets.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm about to submit a form 1. I'll let you know how it goes
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here's my question:

Has anybody here been approved to make an SBR in Maryland after 2013?  Surely there's a few.  If so, could you please provide me with some kind of document number like your 5320.1 Control Number that I could use as a reference for when I call him back with some researched information?  I know that people won't really want to make this information public knowledge, so please IM me if you can be of any help.

View Quote

Yes.  As long as the overall length is >29" you can make an SBR in Maryland right meow (for calibers greater than rimfire).

And no, I won't give you a number so the ATF can have a hard look at my file and decide to take it away!

Did you check the NFA section of MD Shooters?  Lots of info there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you check the NFA section of MD Shooters?  Lots of info there.
View Quote

I did, but there was nothing concrete like a link to MSP / AG guidance that addressed this particular situation.

A Corporal at the MSP Licensing Division confirmed my assumption that there was nothing illegal or restricted about what I am asking to do.  

I've spoken with the gentleman at the BATFE again regarding the whole 'so what you're telling me is that no AR-pattern SBRs have been made / sold in Maryland since 2013?' issue. It looks like they're going to now approve my Form 20s since the OAL of the SBRs in question are like 30 to 31 inches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top