Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2015 2:05:57 AM EDT
Looks like I might be moving to MD in the next month or so.  Is it legal for me to bring rifles with me that are banned under the new MD AWB?

Also, what are the favorite options for MD legal rifles (5.56 preferred).

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#1]
No, you cannot bring banned rifles into Marylandistan

Favorite options for 5.56 rifles are HBARs.  The Colt 6721 is a popular model (all legal rifles will be cash and carry).  You can also buy AR lowers which can be built into HBAR rifles or pistols (or non 5.56 cal configurations).  You can finish 80% lowers if they are built into HBARs or pistols (or any cal besides 5.56).

Also, AR15.com is the best forum out there!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looks like I might be moving to MD in the next month or so.  Is it legal for me to bring rifles with me that are banned under the new MD AWB?

View Quote

as long as the were purchased prior to last October, they are fine, there is no registration, but honestly even if you bought them after October, nobody is checking,

as for what 556 rifles are good,

LMT MRP, KAC SR15, HK MR223, colt 6920 socom, colt 6921, Beretta ARX, Tavor, Sig 556, sig mcx, FN Scar,  just a few off the top of my head that are cash and carry.  Maryland really sucks...lol.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

as long as the were purchased prior to last October, they are fine, there is no registration, but honestly even if you bought them after October, nobody is checking,

LMT MRP, KAC SR15, HK MR223, colt 6920 socom, colt 6921, Beretta ARX, Tavor, Sig 556, sig mcx, FN Scar,  just a few off the top of my head that are cash and carry.  Maryland really sucks...lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know for a fact the Colt 6920 is banned.  I'm pretty sure you can't bring banned rifles into Maryland.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The 6920 and 6920 socom are different rifles.. and even if your ffl won't transfer a soccom, you can get a 6921 as sbr's are exempt from having to have a hbar as according to md law a colt 6921 or any sbr ar is a pistol.

The hbar rule applies to ar15.com rifles only

Bringing in rifles is fine. There's no registration.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The 6920 and 6920 socom are different rifles.. and even if your ffl won't transfer a soccom, you can get a 6921 as sbr's are exempt from having to have a hbar as according to md law a colt 6921 or any sbr ar is a pistol.

View Quote

I have a 6920 SOCOM, it is the same as a 6920 except it has the knights rail and SOCOM sights (at least that is the major difference).  A Colt 6920 and the 6920 SOCOM has an M4 profile and is banned.  Believe me, I wish you were correct about the 6920 but you are not.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a 6920 SOCOM, it is the same as a 6920 except it has the knights rail and SOCOM sights (at least that is the major difference).  A Colt 6920 and the 6920 SOCOM has an M4 profile and is banned.  Believe me, I wish you were correct about the 6920 but you are not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ones a heavy barrel and one is not. the m4 profile has no impact md legality, the 6920 socom, has the M4A1 barrel on it. the M4A1 is a heavy barrel, therefor the socom is fine. even if it was not, the 14.5 6921 is fine with the standard barrel as well.

as its not defined by MD code, State Police guidance is as long as the manufacture markets it as heavy or has an HBAR stamp its fine, and is currently unenforced, there is no real reason to get caught up barrel profile
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm no expert on AR barrels, but that does not look like a heavy barrel to me.  I doubt you will find an FFL who will transfer you a 6920 SOCOM.  If you can, I might pick up another one, so please let me know if you are aware of anybody.

ETA: my quick googling around did find a debate about this on a smaller Maryland based forum.  It appears that whether the 6920 SOCOM is legal or not in Maryland is as clear as mud.  Thank you tough, for bringing the issue up!  There might need to be some MSP guidance to set the record straight.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies so far.  It looks to me like even the state can't make any sense of their terrible and vaguely worded new law.  For that reason alone I'll likely avoid the AR platform altogether (I don't put it past the govt to suddenly decide that any given AR is illegal).  

I'm looking really hard at the Tavor but the price is a bit high, especially when accounting for the aftermarket trigger that all my research suggests will be necessary.  I guess the only silver lining to the law is that the mag restriction doesn't ban import or possession, so I'll be able to bring my AR mags with me (and drive out of state to get more if necessary).
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm no expert on AR barrels, but that does not look like a heavy barrel to me.  I doubt you will find an FFL who will transfer you a 6920 SOCOM.  If you can, I might pick up another one, so please let me know if you are aware of anybody.

just have to look around they are out there, just have to find a ffl that has an iq over 70 and your good.  For example 2a sales is doing cash and carry lowers when most of the state is still doing a seven day wait and doing a obsolete form(77r).  if you cant find dealer to order you a socom, you can find new uppers for about 650 I believe, and just slap that bitch on a lower.  if your worried, print out the M4a1 upgrade list and keep it in the pistol grip.

ETA: my quick googling around did find a debate about this on a smaller Maryland based forum.  It appears that whether the 6920 SOCOM is legal or not in Maryland is as clear as mud.  Thank you tough, for bringing the issue up!  There might need to be some MSP guidance to set the record straight.
View Quote

the main problem with shooters in Maryland is that they aren't shooters, you know that guy who drives in left/passing lane on 95 going 60mph is oblivious to hundred cars behind him riding his ass,  that's your average Maryland shooter/ffl.  they are soo overly paranoid that rather than use their brain, they just say nope, I am not even going to come close to breaking the law. that why you see a lot of the stuff over at mdshooters.

there isn't going to be any MSP guidance because they don't care enough to address the issue, you really think all those idiots over at mdshooters haven't spent the last year sending letters to the MSP asking for clarification.  

the no shit guidance is as follows:  as long as its marketed as a heavy barrel by the manufacture, or stamped "hbar" its good to go, meaning essentially anything in their official opinion can be an HBAR, have a pencil barrel, no problem, get it stamped, there is no industry standard for what a hbar is, some have a taper some are strait bulls, the original colt hbar sporter had a tapered heavy barrel, dmps hbars have no taper.  without a industry standard, a MSP legal definition, or a milspec habr means nothing.

and none of this shit really matter as one can legally attain, post October light barrels by buying a factory SBR of filing a form 1.  you really expect the MSP, can

HBAR in Maryland is equivalent to 922r.  its an issue that has not and will not ever be brought

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

the main problem with shooters in Maryland is that they aren't shooters, you know that guy who drives in left/passing lane on 95 going 60mph is oblivious to hundred cars behind him riding his ass,  that's your average Maryland shooter/ffl.  they are soo overly paranoid that rather than use their brain, they just say nope, I am not even going to come close to breaking the law. that why you see a lot of the stuff over at mdshooters.

there isn't going to be any MSP guidance because they don't care enough to address the issue, you really think all those idiots over at mdshooters haven't spent the last year sending letters to the MSP asking for clarification.  

the no shit guidance is as follows:  as long as its marketed as a heavy barrel by the manufacture, or stamped "hbar" its good to go, meaning essentially anything in their official opinion can be an HBAR, have a pencil barrel, no problem, get it stamped, there is no industry standard for what a hbar is, some have a taper some are strait bulls, the original colt hbar sporter had a tapered heavy barrel, dmps hbars have no taper.  without a industry standard, a MSP legal definition, or a milspec habr means nothing.

and none of this shit really matter as one can legally attain, post October light barrels by buying a factory SBR of filing a form 1.  you really expect the MSP, can

HBAR in Maryland is equivalent to 922r.  its an issue that has not and will not ever be brought

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just have to look around they are out there, just have to find a ffl that has an iq over 70 and your good.  For example 2a sales is doing cash and carry lowers when most of the state is still doing a seven day wait and doing a obsolete form(77r).  if you cant find dealer to order you a socom, you can find new uppers for about 650 I believe, and just slap that bitch on a lower.  if your worried, print out the M4a1 upgrade list and keep it in the pistol grip.

The difference is that possession of a non-922r-compliant firearm is not a crime and carries no sentence (though the firearm itself is contraband and subject to confiscation).  Violating the AWB can result in prison time and permanent loss of RKBA.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh... your one of those types.

Look I know you probably hold your breath when you see an African American for fear of catching ebola but until there is one report of a state police trooper showing up a range and measuring barrel thickness the whole statute is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Oh... your one of those types.

Look I know you probably hold your breath when you see an African American for fear of catching ebola but until there is one report of a state police trooper showing up a range and measuring barrel thickness the whole statute is irrelevant.
View Quote

Hardly.

If most AR's were allowed, with only a select few banned, it would be less of a concern.  The fact that the HBAR is the sole exception (and even then it's only a specific model that's listed) to a class of rifles that is otherwise entirely banned puts it in a higher risk category to me.  

All it takes is one over zealous cop to spot it at the range and decide it's up to the prosecutor to determine the legality of the rifle, and suddenly my day gets a lot longer.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Man why you gotta be bringing Africans into dis

You bes be chekn dat white privilege

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps some time reading this thread would be useful? "The final SB 281: A detailed summary for non-lawyers"

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?s=30f7f455ac73c5d3789e0428479b8758&t=114585

And there are many other threads and 'advise' on that forum as well. Until I win the lottery and have to wonder about what to do will all my money, I do not want to become the poster child test case for the F'ed up MD SB281 law.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Simple, don't move to Maryland. Unless your being ordered to MD look at VA, PA an DE.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Simple, don't move to Maryland. Unless your being ordered to MD look at VA, PA an DE.
View Quote

This.  MD is small enough that you can still work here, but live somewhere better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.  MD is small enough that you can still work here, but live somewhere better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen, end of thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top