Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2014 4:51:59 PM EDT
Baltimore County Game & Fish

Cresap Rifle Club

The Conservation and Sportsman's Club of Thurmont Inc.

The Berwyn Rod and Gun Club Inc

Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Club

Dug Hill Rod & Gun Club

Just tired of shooting at elk neck or westminster garbage dump.

Or any in southern PA?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
None of those, but I am a member of Greenbelt Gun Club and shoot at Marriotsville.  Nice range.  I put off joining for way too long.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

None of those, but I am a member of Greenbelt Gun Club and shoot at Marriotsville.  Nice range.  I put off joining for way too long.
View Quote

What are the annual fees?  You have greenbelt and than AGC fees?

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#3]
$25 to greenbelt and $150 to AGC for the range badge.  Greenbelt does an annual picnic at PG Trap and Skeet and you shoot a round of sporting clays for free, if you go, then you're basically getting your Greenbelt membership for free.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a Greenbelt member, too.  Just wish I had more time to be involved with the club.

The AGC range in Marriottsville is a great range.  I like it even more, now, since they 86'd "The Range Nazi....."
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny you mention the "Range Nazi".  I went up there once a few years ago and met probably the rudest individual on the planet working as range officer that day.  I decided I'd not give them a penny of my money.  Years later, I heard he was gone.

I've been up there probably 6 or 8 times this year and every RO I've encountered has been awesome.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Funny you mention the "Range Nazi".  I went up there once a few years ago and met probably the rudest individual on the planet working as range officer that day.  I decided I'd not give them a penny of my money.  Years later, I heard he was gone.

I've been up there probably 6 or 8 times this year and every RO I've encountered has been awesome.
View Quote

Yup - that was probably him.  White hair, white beard, total prick.  Rumor was that so many members complained that they finally had to get rid of him due to members saying fuck it and not renewing their badges.

The current crop of ROs are top-notch.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
That's the dude!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yup - that was probably him.  White hair, white beard, total prick.  Rumor was that so many members complained that they finally had to get rid of him due to members saying fuck it and not renewing their badges.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the reason I never joined to shoot up there.  

Is there any age restriction on children?

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen young kids up there.  I think as long as they are supervised and follow the range rules, they'd be fine.

I'll encourage you to drive up one morning and chat with one of the range officers. It's a nice place and I'm glad I joined.

My work hours are weird, but if you'd like to look around and shoot, I can take you as a guest, or someone else here would be happy to do the same I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy was a major prick.  Racist prick too!

A good friend & gun-related business owner got hassled every time he shot at AGC- because, best we can gather, he wasn't white.  He dropped his AGC membership for many years solely due to getting hassled by that RO.

Back when "Mountaintop" supply (or whatever it was called) was still operating in the strip mall, a guy behind the counter opined that the AGC range nazi had doene more for the cause of gun control in MD than any group of liberal gun-ban ers.  Yes, he was that bad.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]
WOW.  WTF did that guy do.   I just heard he was an ass and not worth the time to deal with, but need some stories.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The Conservation and Sportsman's Club of Thurmont Inc.

View Quote

I like it.... im left alone, everyone is an RSO ... its never busy generally never see any safety issues
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Dug Hill member.

View Quote

Quoted:

I like it.... im left alone, everyone is an RSO ... its never busy generally never see any safety issues
View Quote

Quoted:

$25 to greenbelt and $150 to AGC for the range badge.  Greenbelt does an
annual picnic at PG Trap and Skeet and you shoot a round of sporting
clays for free, if you go, then you're basically getting your Greenbelt
membership for free.
View Quote

So how do your ranges treat our type of rifles?  Can you double tap?  Rapid fire?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

Range rules...

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/rangerules.htm

Nothing crazy, plenty of ARs on the line when I've shot there.  Nobody cares.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So how do your ranges treat our type of rifles?  Can you double tap?  Rapid fire?

View Quote

Machine guns cant be used and .50 cal rifles cant either( there is a river that snakes around the rifle range , they are worried about penetrating the berm ). Cant shoot rifle on the pistol range / cant shoot pistol on the rifle range.  past that there is camping/ archery / lots of competitive shooting every month( where you don't have to be a member to participate in).

http://www.tcandsc.org/
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a Berwyn (BRGC) member.

They're a nice place. People are relaxed, but safety conscious. Usually not too crowded, no trouble grabbing a lane. You can fire anything you want, up to (but not including) .50BMG. NFA guns are allowed, except for DDs. Machineguns and holster draw require a special badge, mostly so we know you won't shoot yourself or the baffles. Biggest limitations are static positions only, and no birdshot or buckshot anymore. It's also expensive ($400 a year, plus $200 initiation), and requires you to go to a training session and a membership meeting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Go to hap baker.   Maariotsville has too many nazi range officers and dickhead members. I spent $200 to join a club and then join the range and ended up going twice. Costliest range trips ever.  From now on, it's Vienna or hap baker.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Machine guns cant be used and .50 cal rifles cant either( there is a river that snakes around the rifle range , they are worried about penetrating the berm ). Cant shoot rifle on the pistol range / cant shoot pistol on the rifle range.  past that there is camping/ archery / lots of competitive shooting every month( where you don't have to be a member to participate in).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rifles in the pistol bays are fine; I see lever guns, centerfire ones, in use in the bays every time I shoot there.  An AR is no different.  

If they give you crap, ask them to show you in the rules where it says you can't (hint: it isn't there).
Then give them twice as much crap back and complain to the Board; they should NOT be hassling fellow gun owners just because you shoot a black gun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I was a member of Westshore Sportsman Association for several years (this place).  It's about 30 minutes from the border off of I83 between York and Harrisburg.

They have a dueling plate range, 270 degree berm pistol ranges, a shoot house, and a 100y rifle range with steel targets on the hill going out several hundred yards.

I only stopped being a member because it was a minimum of a 90 minute drive from house, and that was a PITA when all I wanted to do was test a few loads.

Lots of good stuff going on there.

I'm a member at Marriotsville and used to sit as a Trustee there.  It's hands down the finest range in MD, but they don't allow drawing from the holster, and rules involving steel plate targets are strict.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or any in southern PA?

I was a member of Westshore Sportsman Association for several years (this place).  It's about 30 minutes from the border off of I83 between York and Harrisburg.

They have a dueling plate range, 270 degree berm pistol ranges, a shoot house, and a 100y rifle range with steel targets on the hill going out several hundred yards.

I only stopped being a member because it was a minimum of a 90 minute drive from house, and that was a PITA when all I wanted to do was test a few loads.

Lots of good stuff going on there.

I'm a member at Marriotsville and used to sit as a Trustee there.  It's hands down the finest range in MD, but they don't allow drawing from the holster, and rules involving steel plate targets are strict.

West shore isn't accepting new memberships.   There was another good one up right east of york that allowed everything, but they have a couple 100 waiting list.

I think AGC might be the winner.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#23]
AGC is awesome.  I used to shoot 5-6 times a year because it was such a hassle going to local indoor gun ranges.  Since joining AGC I go every week.  No hour long lane rentals, no wait, it's perfect.

Be safe, be respectful of other members and the rules and you'll never have an issue.  Usually the folks who badmouth it are those who think they know more than everyone and don't like to be corrected if they're doing something unsafe.  Totally worth the money IMO
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey guys, I am new to the state and thought I'd ask in this thread instead of starting a new one.  I am also looking for a range to shoot at.  I seem to be having trouble finding a place where I can practice shooting from concealment and use my own steel targets from about 10 yards to 50 yards.  Any suggestions on a range to look at that will not treat its members like children that need to be babysat?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I am new to the state and thought I'd ask in this thread instead of starting a new one.  I am also looking for a range to shoot at.  I seem to be having trouble finding a place where I can practice shooting from concealment and use my own steel targets from about 10 yards to 50 yards.  Any suggestions on a range to look at that will not treat its members like children that need to be babysat?
View Quote

Grew up in Marin & moved to MD for 20 years or so.  In theory (see below), Thurmont will meet your needs- especially on weekdays.

Maryland ranges come in 2 flavors:  

1)  out door "bench rest" ranges where you sit at a bench and shoot off a rest.  Virtually all have adopted the NRA range consultant's "model range rules" that include rules like

"NO DRAWING FROM A HOLSTER OR "SHOOTING FROM THE LEATHER!!!"    and

"SLOW-FIRE ONLY!!!! NO MORE THAN 1 AIMED SHOT EVERY 3 SECONDS" and

"NO TORSO-SHAPED TARGETS.  NO STEEL TARGETS"

The NRA developed these rules decades ago to try to eliminate accidents, to appease anti-gunners, and because CCW was not common nor NRA supported until the last 10 years or so.  The rules met the needs of NRA members who were hunters.  And the NRA opposed siloette shaped targets for civilians (hence the NRA D1 Tomb Stone shape target - while NRA PPC matches use silouette NRA targets).  The NRA also long opposed steel targets - except for NRA sanctioned silouette competition.  

2) Indoor rental ranges.  These are filled with dangerous idiots who own handguns.  If you doubt that, pay $10 or $20 to visit one and look at all the bullet holes in the floors, cielings, walls - even the shooting benches.  Each is evidence of a loaded gun pointed someplace unsafe - and you are only seeing the times the gun actually went off.  Most ban drawing from a holster because CCW is virtually impossible in MD.

Thurmont hosts a bunch of "cowboy action" / SSA competition types.  All their shooting is "from the leather,"  almost all targets are soft unhardedned steel, and their competition is timed, aimed fire - so they shoot fast.  

Much as they seem to hate modern guns, the cowboys can't claim it is not safe to draw from a holster, shoot fast, or hit steel targets.  And if you bring your own steel to Thurmont, it won't take too much to make them shut up & go away once they complain about using jacketed ammo on your own steel (and they will complain.  They are simply like that).  

Remember also that the cowboys shoot centerfire rifles against soft steel targets in the action pistol bays.  No reason you can't too, provided it is your own steel.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top