Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2014 4:46:47 AM EDT
I know this should be in the suppressor section,
but since we are in Maryland, I know we probably have
our own convoluted laws regarding this.

I want to get a suppressor for my home defense rig.
Basically, I don't want to suffer hearing damage during
a confrontation if I can avoid it.

I have never bought a suppressor, SBR, or any NFA
item. Have no idea what's involved in our state, or even
federally.

I live in Allegany County.

Can anyone here fill me in?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Get yourself a trust set up first of all. It will make purchases and applications easier.

My response will be one based on someone who already has a trust established, but I will give you my understanding of the personal route as well (keep in mind I've never filled out the application as an individual)

It's pretty simple.  Decide what can you want , but do your research because there's not really any going back. If it's for a pistol consider the calibers it will be used for, whether you want the ability to service it yourself, or a sealed can, and do research into the manufacturer.  Since these are usually a lifetime purchase in my opinion it's best to pay for quality.  I like silencerco cans personally.

Next find someone who has it in stock (suppressors can be ordered for you, but it will add a considerable amount of time to your wait since they have to go through a much more lengthy process than your typical firearm)

Fill out your paperwork.  A good dealer will walk you through the whole process, and even mail it off for you. Take a check for an additional $200 with you when you fill out paperwork for your tax stamp.

Wait
Wait some more
Google a thousand pictures of your can on your host guns
YouTube
Start to forget about it
When you've finally forgotten about it, your dealer will call you and tell you to come get your new can.

Again, this is all based on applying as a trust.  The individual application route adds more time and a few more steps including photographs of yourself, fingerprints, and a signature from law enforcement in your county.  Someone else could give you more information on that process.  If you want my advice, get a trust.  Your life will be easier.  

I've done 3 Nfa purchases so far, and built an sbr.  The trust saved me 4 sets of fingerprints, and 4 times waiting for LEO signature. If you have any other questions, shoot.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
What happens once I have the trust, and the suppressor,
but then decide to move to a new state down the road?

Can I take my trust and suppressor with me?  

Like for instance, I am in Maryland right now. But once I finish
all my schooling, I decide I want to relocate to Ohio.

What happens then?

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want to go to Ohio, you go to ohio.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
But what happens to my trust after I move?
Does it come with me? Do I need to dissolve it and create a
new one in Ohio? Does my suppressor become property of Maryland
if I decide to move?

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Trusts are generally state specific.  Consult an attorney in the state you're moving to.

You don't "need" the trust in MD but most folks do the trust route for various reasons such as allowing your wife or kids access to the item in the trust, etc.

I recommend Jeremy Robinson for your trust needs.  He did mine and a number of other folks here.

http://www.robinsonlaw.biz/
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you think the superssor becomes  property of Maryland.  That's retarded
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you think the superssor becomes  property of Maryland.  That's retarded
View Quote

Like any other gun law isn't retarded in Maryland? I wouldn't put shit like that past MSP.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
To divert a little,  can anyone recommend a good shop in M.D. for class three goodies? Im in Montgomery cty, but do realize i might have to drive.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To divert a little,  can anyone recommend a good shop in M.D. for class three goodies? Im in Montgomery cty, but do realize i might have to drive.
View Quote

2A sales in Savage gets all my money.  They're right near the intersection of 32 and 1.  Can't recommend Mark and Tom enough.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Engage Armament in Rockville.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Jeremy Robinson is a good guy. He setup my trust, and walked me through everything.

Engage Armament, Duffy's Gun Room, and 2A are good places to buy NFA. Be careful in Duffy's Gun Room... They don't pressure you, but all of the cool toys sure do like to glare at you with their little beady eyes.

ETA:
If you move, you get an attorney licensed in whatever state you land to look over your trust. If changes need to be made, you have him/her make them. No big deal... But this is where a "good" trust comes in. If your trust doesn't allow you to make changes like that, you're screwed and it can get complicated. It's better to pay $400-500 up front, and never have to worry about it than to have to pay $200 x6 to move stuff from a shitty trust to a new one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Jeremy recommended a standalone NFA trust to me, which is what I did.  Probably depends on how the wording of your existing trust is I assume.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Jeremy recommended a standalone NFA trust to me, which is what I did.  Probably depends on how the wording of your existing trust is I assume.
View Quote

Thanks for the replys guys.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have a trust from 199trust?  They're having a $59 black friday sale.  It's hard to ignore that price, but how different are they from one from Jeremy?  FYI, I'm only looking to get a can or two.
ETA: has anyone compared one of the trusts from 199 or SilencerStore etc., to one drafted up by a local lawyer?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 on J Robinson.  I have started a Stamp Collection after my trust got set up.
Engage in Rockville where I have purchased my 2 suppressors from.  Now I am
looking at Form 1's to build my own suppressors.  

NFA disease is worse than Black Rifle Disease.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#17]
1.  No special laws in MD regarding suppressors.  
2.  Get a trust.  Some people have been waiting months for the MSP to approve their paperwork.  I used Jeremy for mine too...no complaints.

3.  When you move, get a lawyer licensed in that state to review your trust to be sure it's still valid.  If there are any problems, it just needs amended.  You will have to notify the ATF of the residency change, but it's not a big deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top