Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2014 8:46:48 AM EDT
I have an ar-15 I bought post-ban. I'd like to get another, but this time I would like to make (or if I have to, buy) an SBR. It seems like SBRs are classified as their own thing, not a pistol or rifle. So the question is, if I keep it HBAR, can I?  Or does an AR15 to sbr conversion fall under an illegal ar-15 model?
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The MSP's position on SBRs has been changing a bit lately. Based on their latest opinions, i seems like you should be OK if it's not a copycat weapon (ie, OAL > 29", only one evil feature). HBAR is apparently no longer required for an SBR, but if you want to be double-plus safe, consider using one anyways.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I was following that thread over on mdshooters about SBRs for months.  Gave up.  Guess I need to check back in to see if they're a go or no go now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Engage never stopped selling "MD legal" SBRs on Form 4s.  AFAIK.

Now, just because one store kept making them doesn't make it legal.  But MSP never shut them down, and they obviously were in the loop.

>29" and copycat compliant are requirements, but that's not too bad to do.  At least it's measured with any collapsible stocks all the way out, so you can still get a 10.5"

There are also MD legal pistol configurations which are a possibility if you want a shorter barrel.

Also, if you fill out the apropriate transport paperwork, there's nothing stopping you from taking your MD legal SBR to VA (or another state), assembling it with a shorter barrel upper while there, and returning it to MD legal config before the trip home.

So an SBR lower still has a lot of utility, even if you're limited to 10.5" barrels while in state.  You can still own and use shorter barreled uppers if you want to (out of state).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top