Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2017 3:51:25 PM EDT
I moved to the Twin Cities from Arizona last spring and I have been camping at established campgrounds but I would really like to explore some dispersed camping in Minnesota.

Anyone have any suggestions on which state forest/general location I should check out?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Solana State Forest is my favorite of those in (relatively) close proximity to the Cities, but you can't beat Superior National Forest, IMO.
View Quote

Thanks, I will look them up. Any particular places to look around for camping spots or anywhere to avoid within the forest?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks, I will look them up. Any particular places to look around for camping spots or anywhere to avoid within the forest?
View Quote

Yeah, what SJU said. SNF is almost 4 million acres. Get yourself a paper map and begin dreaming.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Superior National forest pretty much anywhere, the BWCA, or Voyaguers National Forest. I prefer the real up northwoods feel of the NE MN area. Plenty of primitive camping away from the masses. Go to the MN DNR website to look at the state and nation parks and forests, and campgrounds.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Pick up a plat book of the county your thinking about, tax forfeited land is open to dispersed camping also.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pick up a plat book of the county your thinking about, tax forfeited land is open to dispersed camping also.
View Quote

No shit?

That's good to know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Is any sort of firearm hunting allowed up in Superior? I understand regs need to be followed, I'm curious if its possible to stay for maybe a couple weeks at a time and survive off the land. This is very relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I deer hunt in the SNF (sadly, no luck last couple of years, probably because of the wolves). So yes, you can hunt there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok perfect!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd suggest calling the SNF ranger station in Tofte. They'll answer all your questions. If you have specific game questions, like deer populations or such, ask to talk to the biologist.
Good people there, and they live and work in the area. They're more like normal folks than federal employees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top