Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2017 7:06:59 PM EDT
Does anyone know how to get past records sealed?

Buddy wants to start aquiring firearms but had a "domestic" charge against his brother which wasn't the one who pressed charges.

Happened some years ago not positive when if that matters.

Any help appreciated thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody??

Damn
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
If I understand the process correctly basically you hire a lawyer that specializes in that area of law and basically make your case before a judge.  All it does is seal the record but not to law enforcement.  Not sure how that would play out with a firearms purchase or permit.  Being charged vs. convicted also plays into all of it.

http://www.mncourts.gov/Help-Topics/Criminal-Expungement.aspx
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.

He has done a little digging and explained that you can do it yourself?
By filling out paperwork, sending it in and then seeing a judge?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:01:53 AM EDT
[#4]
One can always attempt to navigate the legal system on their own with no training or education.  A buddy of mine looked at expungement for something stupid he did years ago.  Prevented him from getting a job even though it happened 30 years ago and he never was convicted.  He said a lawyer told him it would be about 8-9K to make the attempt and no guarantees.  He just found a different job that paid more in the end.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Whoa, that's a lot for a lawyer.

Shot in the dark guess he won't want to pay that much.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Im not of much help, but I can say this- the guy in Texas ? who shot that guy that was attacking the police officer saving the cops life -

the "hero" was previously a felon who got his conviction expunged, and even had a concealed carry permit.

So it can be done. I have a cousin who wanted to do it but didnt have the money or the time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im not of much help, but I can say this- the guy in Texas ? who shot that guy that was attacking the police officer saving the cops life -

the "hero" was previously a felon who got his conviction expunged, and even had a concealed carry permit.

So it can be done. I have a cousin who wanted to do it but didnt have the money or the time.
View Quote

He wouldn't mind putting in the time if the results were more in his favor than against.

I don't think anybody would want to do all that work or spend all that money for less than say a 40% shot.

Thanks for the story, I'll have to look it up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:33:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the link. Sounds like not quite expungement??

Some kind of continuence??

Anyway, in Tehas it may be a tad easier to say you want your gun rights back? Here maybe not so easy?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Send me a private message with your phone number.  I can help you out with an expungement.  I'm an Attorney.  8 to 9 grand is very high for a domestic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Send me a private message with your phone number.  I can help you out with an expungement.  I'm an Attorney.  8 to 9 grand is very high for a domestic.
View Quote

Thanks will do. I'll have to see if he wants to go lawyer route or try on his own.

How very high is $8-9k?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Neely flaked on me so anyone else?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Neely flaked on me so anyone else?
View Quote
Jim's a member of one of the clubs I belong to so I've known him for years.  Don't know what he charges.
http://www.jimfleminglaw.com/gun-rights-restoration.html
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks a bunch keith!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top