Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2016 1:09:22 PM EDT

How is it? Worth it? Crowded?

How about any of the other ski/snowboard ..areas...around the twin cities? The closest one to me is Powder Ridge; is it worth the price of admission?

It's hard to me to call anything a mountain out here, it's so flat
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

How is it? Worth it? Crowded?

How about any of the other ski/snowboard ..areas...around the twin cities? The closest one to me is Powder Ridge; is it worth the price of admission?

It's hard to me to call anything a mountain out here, it's so flat
View Quote

Was there about 15 years ago and it was ok. Buck hill now has year round skiing but it's a hill. Haven't been to any of the others.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only been there for a wedding during the fall, so sorry can't really help other than saying the chalet was nice.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have not done any skiing for many years.  I used to go to Afton Alps and be there when they opened in the morning and I would ski until around 2:00 p.m.  After noon or so the crowds would start to grow and the lines got to be a pain.  There is a good variety of skill level hills and the Black Diamond hills really were for the expert forty years ago.  Of the places within 90 minutes of the Metro it was by far my favorite.

That was many years ago, I have no idea what it is like today.  I had a lot of fun on those hills!  If you want to test you nerve, point your skis downhill on the run next to the road that goes in the backside.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a big ravine, the Alps cringe at what we'll ski down.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Considering what we have to chose from in the area, Afton is where I'll go if I don't want to drive to Lutsen for a weekend. Of course nothing in the state compares to REAL mountains, Afton Alps is fun for a day.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#6]
After about 4-5 pm it gets very crowded. Weekends especially. Tons of shit head kids on snowboards that clog up the hill. Go during a week day and it's alright. Welch isn't too much farther and it's quite a bit better. As for the hill itself, we'll it's a hill and not much more. Lift tickets are expensive but there are deals to be had. Honestly, skip MN for skiing unless you go to lutsen. Make a little trip and head to the UP. Or better yet, go to Red Lodge MT. Great mountain, lift tickets are the same or similar to Afton. Shoot me a PM if you've got more questions. Been skiing since I was 3.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Much less pain today than over the weekend I was hurting in places I forgot existed, and I only went down the hill 3 times

I wiped out more on the stupid j-lift than I did going downhill I wound up going to Powder Ridge on Friday night, it's a lot closer to me.

My ass still hurts though, especially where my wallet decided to leave an imprint. Who would have thought credit cards and IDs aren't pillowy soft?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#9]
decent enough place-- bought by Vail, and seem to be putting some $$ into the place-- I drive near it daily, and they are making snow like a mofo
--so fay, they are spot on--it gets filled up with stupid people (sorry, but usually its snowboarders) that plop down in the middle of the hill, or blade at 45 without looking, or just stop.

chalets are hit and miss-- typical fast food, burgers, beer, etc.

it can get spendy...fast

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

it can get spendy...fast

View Quote

It's asinine how much it costs. Whether is Afton or Welch, both are ridiculously priced. But, it's what we've got.
I myself prefer Welch. Unless I make a weekend of it and go to Spirit in Duluth or head to Lutsen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top