Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#1]
"use of deadly force was NOT justified"

Damn.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless there are facts we don't know or they were hiding, the guy wasn't reaching for his gun and got shot anyway.  So it appears he should be standing trial.

If anyone had a different spin , I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless there are facts we don't know or they were hiding, the guy wasn't reaching for his gun and got shot anyway.  So it appears he should be standing trial.

If anyone had a different spin , I'm all ears.
View Quote

I agree. The facts were laid out very cut and dry. Secondly,  they're not out to hang one of their own without just cause. It was a bad shoot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
He'll have his day in court, but considering this...

Before Yanez, no officer had been charged in more than 150 police-involved deaths in Minnesota since 2000. (Star Tribune)
View Quote

there has to be some pretty strong evidence against him.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Respectfully, the testimony of the other officer on scene had to play a major part in the decision to prosecute. I do agree with you however, that the trial should shed all the light needed on the facts. I'm no Leo hater, nor a racist. I actually sympathise with both parties.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#8]

County attorney =/= police.  Irrespective of the case, I would not put it past Choi to make his decision on political grounds.

They're all the government
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC this was pushed through without going to a grand jury first, which as far as I know is SOP. So this is either political grandstanding which will fall apart in court when everything comes out (but they'll get to say "At least we tried"), or the case must be so air-tight that the DA thought he'd save the taxpayers some money by jumping straight to a trial and bypassing the grand jury.

Since I don't trust the local news to have reported all the facts, I'll wait until all the evidence is laid out in court by both sides...
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Before Yanez, no officer had been charged in more than 150 police-involved deaths in Minnesota since 2000. (Star Tribune)

Or there are alot of other incidents that just never got the media's attention.

the "blue wall" of police unions and CYA only goes so far...

Not all cops are thugs with guns. But, some are... time to clean house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top