Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2016 4:44:26 PM EDT
I'm from Texas and don't usually have to worry about being too cold while hunting, but this year I'm going up north to hunt with my girlfriend's dad. I'm good on all fronts except boots. I'm looking for advice or suggestions for boots I should get. I would love any help i could get.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you hunting?  Bear, grouse, or deer will change the recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Also how do you and how does he hunt?  Walking/stalking around has different needs than sitting in a stand.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to be walking a lot, I would suggest something from the Meindl line at Cabelas. Excellent boots. You can get insulated and un-insulated

If you're going to be sitting in a tree stand, I would suggest Lacrosse Iceman or similar pack boots.

Hibbing is in northern MN and it can get quite cold there even during the early November MN deer season.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Vague question is vague. You don't say what type of hunting you are doing, deer, waterfowl, grouse, are you sitting in a stand all day, or walking a lot etc.

So here is your answer.

Bring a pair of lightweight hiking/hunting boots, around 800 gram thinsulate minimum, waterproof of course also, these will be good if it's warmer here and you are doing a lot of walking. Should also do good in mild temps say around down to the freezing mark as long as your feet stay dry.

Bring a pair of insulated style rubber boots, like the arctic muck boots, or something similar, lots of wet area's up here so these will serve well if you are hiking in those area's, not necessarily swampy area's where hip boots or waders would be better for, unless you are waterfowl hunting then you'd want insulated chest waders probably.

Bring a pair of winter boots, temps up here in November can be anywhere from 70* to low 20's and even colder. These will also be what you want if you are sitting in a stand for deer, or walking if it's colder out and or we have snow, which we can have a few feet if a storm hits or just a few inches to even nothing yet.

Bring good wool socks for sure, wear them always!!! This is a basic list that if you have available to you, will get you through, hopefully.

November weather is very unpredictable up here so be prepared for anything from sunny and 70's in the early part of November to low 20's or colder and snow at any time.

If I may ask, where near Hibbing will you be hunting? I ask because this is where I live. Otherwise enjoy Hibbing, it's not much, but we do have a walmart!!!

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll add to the above.

Have something, anything to put under your feet. Steel from a stand or snow can freeze your feet easily.
Being from Texas, you may want to wear a couple pair of wool socks diff sizes so they don't fit tight.

The last couple of years have been fairly warm near opener like 50's/ 60's. You will still get chilly/cold if standing still or happen to break a sweat.

I hunt mostly stand and have a pair of LaCrosse 1200 (I believe) that I wear religiously.

If it is an enclosed stand... Bring a little buddy heater
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I apologize for the lack of details. We will be deer hunting in stands but with a moderate amount of hiking.   I'll read through the rest of the responses. Thanks for your answers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vague question is vague. You don't say what type of hunting you are doing, deer, waterfowl, grouse, are you sitting in a stand all day, or walking a lot etc.

So here is your answer.

Bring a pair of lightweight hiking/hunting boots, around 800 gram thinsulate minimum, waterproof of course also, these will be good if it's warmer here and you are doing a lot of walking. Should also do good in mild temps say around down to the freezing mark as long as your feet stay dry.

Bring a pair of insulated style rubber boots, like the arctic muck boots, or something similar, lots of wet area's up here so these will serve well if you are hiking in those area's, not necessarily swampy area's where hip boots or waders would be better for, unless you are waterfowl hunting then you'd want insulated chest waders probably.

Bring a pair of winter boots, temps up here in November can be anywhere from 70* to low 20's and even colder. These will also be what you want if you are sitting in a stand for deer, or walking if it's colder out and or we have snow, which we can have a few feet if a storm hits or just a few inches to even nothing yet.

Bring good wool socks for sure, wear them always!!! This is a basic list that if you have available to you, will get you through, hopefully.

November weather is very unpredictable up here so be prepared for anything from sunny and 70's in the early part of November to low 20's or colder and snow at any time.

If I may ask, where near Hibbing will you be hunting? I ask because this is where I live. Otherwise enjoy Hibbing, it's not much, but we do have a walmart!!!

View Quote

I've been up to Hibbing 4 times,  just not in the winter yet. My girlfriend's parents live across from the college there. He calls the students of the police academy the Hitler youth.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Another option for when your sitting in a stand and want to add warmth to your hiking boots is boot Blankets. along with some foam to put under your feet, especially of your sitting in a metal stand.

Otherwise may I suggest a pair of mukluks. After I bought mine my heavy leather boots just sit. These things are warm as hell, lighter them fuck, and feel like you're in slippers..  Ely is not that far of a run from Hibbing, and it is best to try them on to get the correct size, as compare to winging it and ordering blind. Patti Steger and her crew will get you set up right..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top