Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2016 5:46:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a personal choice.  I don't have any problem with open carry, I don't because I don't want to advertise that I carry.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Agreed. Just because it's lawful doesn't mean it's smart.

Openly carrying a pistol is one thing. I've done that myself on rare occasion, being very aware of how I'm dressed and groomed. Nice pants, nice shirt, freshly cleaned up, no problem. Most people either don't notice or don't care enough to make an issue of it (which is why I am sure to dress and act appropriately). Openly carrying a rifle is totally different. You are begging for attention if you openly carry a rifle in public. And the kind of lovin' you will get isn't the kind of lovin' you want...

I will keep an eye on ths case for sure. I have lots of questions I'd like to learn the answers to.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You've locked how many threads , and you post this garbage?

Christ almighty.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Christ almighty.
View Quote

It's a safe bet that if it's from MN GOCRA, it's not garbage.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Christ almighty.
View Quote

Someones got their panties in a bunch.

This ain't garbage.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Just cause you can does not mean it is wise at all.

Seeing people open carry with long guns is really asking for attention.  Perhaps this guy has issues with not getting enough attention growing up?
But, all the same some of the more out spoken advocates seem to think it is "our right" and as such should be exercised.  

It is moronic to witness people opening carrying with shoulder holsters in camo clothing and then not having the holster properly secured with the tie down straps!
The list topper is a guy who had a drop leg POS brand tactical holster on with velcro closures....
Who are these people trying to impress?  Must be Phallic problem on their end!

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If one does not  exercised / used a right out of fear, do you truly have said right..

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw this a while ago.

Rights are rights, the law is the law.

Open carrying a rifle in public does draw attention. I believe he was TRYING to be a test case because of St. Cloud's illegal city ordinance.

Was it legal? Yes, the MN state law is clear. Was it wise? I can't say I would do it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If one does not  exercised / used a right out of fear, do you truly have said right..
View Quote

While that may be true, you don't go into a theater and exercise your first amendment rights of free speech and YELL FIRE WHEN THERE IS NONE!
Well what can be said? Stupid is as stupid does!
Why draw attention? Other than having some kind of phallic problem?
We have had our share of morons who desire to be test cases!  The last blubbering moron has assumed ground temperature!  Thank God!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought we had a rather lengthy discussion on here a year or 2 ago where we determined that carrying a rifle was not covered under a permit to carry. Has something changed?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

While that may be true, you don't go into a theater and exercise your first amendment rights of free speech and YELL FIRE WHEN THERE IS NONE!
We have had our share of morons who desire to be test cases!  The last blubbering moron has assumed ground temperature!  Thank God!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, open carry = yelling fire in a crowded theater?
And why are you insulting some one who is willing to stand up to an unlawful city ordnance in order to get it thrown out?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought we had a rather lengthy discussion on here a year or 2 ago where we determined that carrying a rifle was not covered under a permit to carry. Has something changed?
View Quote

I recall that discussion and was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#13]
open carrying rifles in a very public place like that has always seemed like trolling to me.
Also seems like a good way to piss off people who may be on the fence about carry and gun ownership in general and push them over into the anti gun crowd.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2015 Minnesota Statutes

624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.

§

Subdivision 1.Definitions.

For purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given them.

(a) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in diameter.

(b) "Carry" does not include:

(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;

(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;

(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section 624.714;

(4) the carrying of an antique firearm as a curiosity or for its historical significance or value; or

(5) the transporting of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun in compliance with section 97B.045.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]
^^ See subsection b(3)
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]
624.714 applies to carrying pistols in public. It defines the act of carrying a pistol in public as a crime. (Thanks MN!) It grants an exception to this crime if one has a permit to carry. Pretty straightforward.

624.7181, as Rat_Patrol posted, applies to carrying long guns in public. Again, it defines the act of carrying a long gun in public as a crime. However, a similar exception is also granted here for persons with permits to carry a pistol under 624.714. The legislature (or should I say, those who wrote the law) wisely sprinkled numerous 'fringe benefits' throughout other sections.  This is one of them. So a PTC as written in 624.714 does not explicitly authorize carrying long guns, but 624.7181 compensates.

Another great example of this is 97B.045. Transporting a firearm in a vehicle requires that it be unloaded and cased, or unloaded and in the trunk or rear of the vehicle, unless -- you guessed it -- the firearm is a pistol carried under permit. A pistol carried under permit may be transported in any condition. (Please note this exception is specific to pistols. Long guns sadly may not be carried loaded and uncased under permit.)
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

624.714 applies to carrying pistols in public. It defines the act of carrying a pistol in public as a crime. (Thanks MN!) It grants an exception to this crime if one has a permit to carry. Pretty straightforward.

624.7181, as Rat_Patrol posted, applies to carrying long guns in public. Again, it defines the act of carrying a long gun in public as a crime. However, a similar exception is also granted here for persons with permits to carry a pistol under 624.714. The legislature (or should I say, those who wrote the law) wisely sprinkled numerous 'fringe benefits' throughout other sections.  This is one of them. So a PTC as written in 624.714 does not explicitly authorize carrying long guns, but 624.7181 compensates.

Another great example of this is 97B.045. Transporting a firearm in a vehicle requires that it be unloaded and cased, or unloaded and in the trunk or rear of the vehicle, unless -- you guessed it -- the firearm is a pistol carried under permit. A pistol carried under permit may be transported in any condition. (Please note this exception is specific to pistols. Long guns sadly may not be carried loaded and uncased under permit.)
View Quote
This is one I truly don't understand. I understand the law as written, I just don't understand why its not legal.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is one I truly don't understand. I understand the law as written, I just don't understand why its not legal.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DNR get that put in to try to counter poaching?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely.  Minnesota's a hunting state and a lot of our statewide firearms laws were written from that perspective.  It would be nice if we could fix the long gun-mounted night vision ban, too.  Or at least rewrite these laws so that the DNR still has something to work with as far as reducing poaching.  That said, our hunting traditions in this state are part of what keeps Democrat state reps and senators honest and voting on our side so I won't complain too much.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep.  I can somewhat understand the thinking behind the general restriction on uncased loaded long guns in vehicles, but when it comes to permit holders, I don't think it makes any sense at all.  The permit holder can simply exit the vehicle and then openly carry that same uncased loaded rifle.  Seems silly to restrict them inside the vehicle.  My 2 cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top