Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2016 3:19:58 AM EDT
Long story short, my dad stores a few boats and cars in the barn for cheap, I don't think he has created an actual company.

He has a client who he hasn't heard from in over 3 years, no response from letters, phone number is disconnected. He's at the point where he is wondering about how he can force the title and registration of the boat and trailer into his name so that he can sell it to cover his losses. The boats value is probably about what is owed on storage fees.

He has a simple contract that lists the clients name address phone etc along with the monthly rate and states that failure to pay will result in collection by whatever state statute allows or something.

Is this something that has to go to court or can he simply go to the deputy registrar and force the title into his name somehow?  

My dad has no use for the boat but I do. Hence my interest in the matter lol.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#1]
IANAL, but I'd guess he would have to go through a certain effort to find the client.

Else 'No Proof of Ownership' title transfer?
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/dvs-content-detail.aspx?pageID=638&pageTitle=Title-%20Vehicle-Transfer-%20No%20Proof%20of%20Ownership
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a friend in which their family owns a car repair shop in Iowa. On occasion extra cars get parked there. I believe they notify the sheriff/police and then they have to wait a set amount of time and then they either resell it or have it hauled to the scrap yard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
i've done motorcycle titles in south dakota and wisconsin. i called the MN DMV a couple months ago about another bike
the lady i spoke with made it sound a bit more convoluted but here's generally how it works in Wisconsin (although it's possible i have a couple steps out of order)

1. get possession of the vehicle

1a. find out if it's listed as stolen

2. document how you obtained the vehicle

3. contact the DMV and ask about appropriate paperwork (in WI we can now download the paperwork, but i forget the form number)

4. fill out the paperwork

5. have a Law Enforcement Officer look at the vehicle, and sign paperwork indicating the VIN(s) match your paperwork

6. contact an insurance company and get a surety bond. basically that's an insurance policy (usually costs around $100) in case the legal owner ever comes back

7. submit paperwork with surety bond to DMV and get your title

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top