Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2016 4:49:17 AM EDT
There doesnt seem to be a whole lot of information out there regarding building a Short Barrel Shotgun in minnesota. There is always mention of C&R being required for a legal SBS, but it is rather confusing.

Does the item need to be configured as an SBS already and transferred as a C&R gun?
Is the owner required to have a C&R license to own it in the first place?
Is it as simple as finding a 50+ year old shotgun and submitting paperwork to form 1 it?

I have a trust, suppressors, and an sbr in wait, but this SBS C&R nonsense blows my mind. Hopefully one of you guys can provide some clarification on the issue!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
There doesnt seem to be a whole lot of information out there regarding building a Short Barrel Shotgun in minnesota. There is always mention of C&R being required for a legal SBS, but it is rather confusing.

Does the item need to be configured as an SBS already and transferred as a C&R gun?

Yes, must be a C&R and already configured

Is the owner required to have a C&R license to own it in the first place?

No

Is it as simple as finding a 50+ year old shotgun and submitting paperwork to form 1 it?

No

I have a trust, suppressors, and an sbr in wait, but this SBS C&R nonsense blows my mind. Hopefully one of you guys can provide some clarification on the issue!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Well that just about takes that off the list off possibilities, just as they want I am sure.

Thanks for the info.

I guess that just gives us more motivation to take care of that issue.

http://mngunowners.polldaddy.com/s/2016survey
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
You could always get an AOW like the Sebu Super Shorty. Those are legal in MN.

You could also look into the Non NFA 14" shotguns with the birdshead grips. I would strongly suggest looking over MN's specific regulations on what it deems a shotgun though. There is the possibility of getting into hot water with local regs on that one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anything less than 18" will be covered under the NFA, if it is a smooth bore pistol then it would be an AOW  and only $5.00 tax

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could always get an AOW like the Sebu Super Shorty. Those are legal in MN.

You could also look into the Non NFA 14" shotguns with the birdshead grips. I would strongly suggest looking over MN's specific regulations on what it deems a shotgun though. There is the possibility of getting into hot water with local regs on that one.

Anything less than 18" will be covered under the NFA, if it is a smooth bore pistol then it would be an AOW  and only $5.00 tax

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/440753_Non_NFA_14_Mossberg_500_.html

Basically a pgo shotgun with the birds head grip that is over 26" with a 14" barrel. Doesn't meet the federal definition of a shotgun so it is not a SBS. It is just a "firearm".

State regulations can vary on the definition of shotgun which is why I said you would have to look into mn's definition of a shotgun.

Link to finished product, you could also convert your own PGO shotgun but it must have been sold as a PGO only shotgun from the factory

https://www.slickguns.com/product/non-nfa-shorty-14-custom-mossberg-500590-shotgun-265-oal-legal-649

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 3:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
To the OP:

You are correct. This is MN, and SBS are illegal - but AOW (which in fact, may be extremely short-barreled shotguns) are allowed.

Now just what about that can you NOT understand? Don't you know that our leaders are only looking out for our best interests, trying to keep us safe!?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top