Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2015 12:33:28 PM EDT
Looking into getting a springer.  Anyone have any recommendations on MN breeders?  Looking for a good hunting dog but it needs to be able to turn it off to be in the house and around kids.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't how much money you want to spend and that may limit whose dog you buy.  I can say with a bit of certainty that  if you are after a really good hunting dog that is driven and will hunt to the gun, you may not get the cuddly, warm, leisurely English Springer Spaniel.   The Minnesota English Springer Spaniel Field Trial Assn will list a number of people to see about a field dog.

Additionally, you might try the dogs on the English Springer Spaniel Rescue of America ( GOOGLE ESRA) for more details.  If you are concerned with maybe a dog might not be the one you want, join the rescue and become a foster parent for the rescue.  By doing this you will have exposure to a number of dogs and if you find the right one that fits into your family and your hunting needs all you have to do is adopt it..
If you want to talk at length about it, PM me and I will send you my phone number.  I have been around ESS for about 40 years.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Looking into getting a springer.  Anyone have any recommendations on MN breeders?  Looking for a good hunting dog but it needs to be able to turn it off to be in the house and around kids.  Thanks
View Quote

English Setter /Thread
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at the Welsh Springer Spaniel. Great with the kids and has the off switch when in the house. They are not that common, so you will have to find a breeder and be willing to drive a bit. I think there is one in Minnetonka. Otherwise Iowa and WI.

I had never heard of them before. I started with criteria similar to yours and that is where I ended up.  

I'd type more but I'm using a phone.

Post pics when you find your new dog.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree, the Welch Springer Spaniel is a wonderful dog!

However, there are only a few breeders and they are in the middle of restoring the breed to the standard, as a result, their regulations when you purchase a dog is really a laundry list of the breeders rights to your dog.  I had an extended discussion with their breed assn. president and I suspect that these rights that they retain may never go away.

They really are a lovely dog, but, I look at these rules the same as a Home Owner Association agreement ... ain't gonna happen here.

But, the best thing to do is investigate the breed and their purchase agreements.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback guys.  For price I'm expecting it to be in the 1000-1500 range.  I'm not expecting a total transformation of the dog between field and house but I've seen some dogs who are able to take it down a few notches when not in the field and that's what I'm looking for.  I love hunting but let's be honest, the dog will spend more time around the house than it will in the field.  I'll look into what everyone has posted thus far.  Thx
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.topgunspringers.com/

My folks raise these guys and they can hunt

Run the agility courses in border collie times

hey're great with kids and have an "off switch" I've got one of Kelly's daughters and she loves my 3 and 5 year old!

I love the look of setters . . .they hunt great but I've never met one that isn't herp derp potato level intelligence. . .

Welsh Spaniels? Very smart dogs, great hunters but they're very soft, you can't handle 'em rough, yell at them, shock collar training, force training, etc. They'll simply melt into a puddle. Springers CAN be like this but its pretty rare.

A good springer usually runs $1500-1800 for a puppy with a money back guarantee. A good breeder has a waiting list and will interview you and have you sign a contract stipulating breeding rights, if the dog will live indoors, etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

i would talk to the guys at Wings North. I don't recall who their kennel service is these days, but, they have plenty of contacts.

We got ours from a local breeder who has since moved on. Our dog was good and easy to hunt with the time I took him out.

Miss him still.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd definitely hit up the Game Fair in Anoka this weekend. MN Springer club is going to be there and vendor space is sold out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah we will be unable to make it to the game fair this weekend but we'll be checking it out next weekend.  I actually talked to a lot of breeders there last year and took the business cards of a couple but when I attempted to reach out over the last couple weeks i received no replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top