Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 9:27:59 AM EDT
Think I read there was new state reciprocity wrapped into the recent changes.

Anybody know more on that?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
North Dakota is good now if you have a MN permit.  Nothing else I have heard yet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

North Dakota is good now if you have a MN permit.  Nothing else I have heard yet.
View Quote

Is that 100%? The websites for both states don't mention it yet
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe we are also good to carry in Nevada now, but that is more due to a change in Nevada law than ours...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe we are also good to carry in Nevada now, but that is more due to a change in Nevada law than ours...
View Quote

This has been asked like 4 times already, it was a slight change in wording and I don't forsee it changing much.  But, its up to the BCA to determine the difference between substatially similiar and similiar.  
Neither MN nor North Dakota recognize each others permits.  Don't carry thinking it is cause officially its not if the change is even true.

Reciprocity in a state is up to those individual states, a change in MN may not change another states reciprocity to allow our permit.

http://nvsca.com/ccw-permits.php
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I checked the MN BCA site earlier this week and ND still wasn't allowed.  I think the BCA says they look annually to see if anything changes, not sure when they "do" this annual check....
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting.  I was told this change was in effect July 1 but government doesn't always work that way
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The change is in the language of the law.  There is no guarantee that it will actually increase the amount of OTHER state permits that Minnesota will accept for reciprocity.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]

I called the BCA this morning and they didn't even know what I was talking about

View Quote

I'm sure the Governor will let them know right away  
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I asked for confirmation from GOCRA about ND permits , but they said it will be a while until the Dept of Public Safety determines which states will have reciprocity. North Dakota permits will be recognized in Minnesota. It's just a matter of when the Dept of Pubic Safety will tell us.

The next leg of this mess is if North Dakota will recognize Minnesota permits. No idea if that will change or any discussions have been made about that.
View Quote

Info from my group.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Info from my group.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I asked for confirmation from GOCRA about ND permits , but they said it will be a while until the Dept of Public Safety determines which states will have reciprocity. North Dakota permits will be recognized in Minnesota. It's just a matter of when the Dept of Pubic Safety will tell us.

The next leg of this mess is if North Dakota will recognize Minnesota permits. No idea if that will change or any discussions have been made about that.

Info from my group.

I always heard that this was a guest over corn and not ND's lax requirements. The "no reason given" was always interesting to me too. If the requirements didn't meet standards then why not say?

Will be interesting to see how this works out
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#13]
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx

As of July 2015...

Missouri, Texas, Wyoming, and Utah (YES Utah!) concealed carry licenses are no longer valid in MN.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx

As of July 2015...

Missouri, Texas, Wyoming, and Utah (YES Utah!) concealed carry licenses are no longer valid in MN.

View Quote

No offense intended to those who worked hard to finally get the Tim-Pawlenty-slow-roll reciprocity language fixed ( I know how awful legislatures are), but, what the hell? I thought this was supposed to force the AG to be more honest and liberal about reciprocity?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.inforum.com/news/3816178-nd-minn-reach-reciprocity-concealed-weapon-licenses

ND, Minn. reach reciprocity on concealed weapon licenses

North Dakota Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem said effective immediately, Minnesota will recognize Class 1 licenses from North Dakota but not Class 2 licenses, which don’t require a shooting proficiency test. All Minnesota license holders now have reciprocity in North Dakota.

Also http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-north-dakota-reach-concealed-carry-reciprocity/321560221/ but I refuse to hot link the StarTrib...
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#17]
That's extremely disappointing.  The new wording should have expanded reciprocity...  MN DPS clearly didn't get the memo.

https://novogradac.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/close-enough-how-to-measure-substantially-similar-under-fasbs-new-lihtc-investment-guidance/

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's extremely disappointing.  The new wording should have expanded reciprocity...  MN DPS clearly didn't get the memo.

https://novogradac.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/close-enough-how-to-measure-substantially-similar-under-fasbs-new-lihtc-investment-guidance/

View Quote

Looks like MN took a big step backwards. I think a lot of it boils down to childish games, and the fact that MN wants you to take their PTC classes and spend the money in their state. I checked into it and most guys are charging around $80 to take the class and it costs another $100 at the Sherriff's office to actually get the permit. I was going to get my MN permit and actually took a class but then decided not to get the permit because I really didn't want to spend close to $200 just to gain one state.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Read the reasons posted above for the changes.  The wording clearly did expand reciprocity by adding North Dakota.  Four other states now have changes which doesn't make their permit system and laws similar to ours.  
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like MN took a big step backwards. I think a lot of it boils down to childish games, and the fact that MN wants you to take their PTC classes and spend the money in their state. I checked into it and most guys are charging around $80 to take the class and it costs another $100 at the Sherriff's office to actually get the permit. I was going to get my MN permit and actually took a class but then decided not to get the permit because I really didn't want to spend close to $200 just to gain one state.

Its the LAW, not sure its a childish game.  The people who make the money off the permit system are far removed from those who are in charge of making and changing the law.  The money made is even farther away and is only used to run the permit programs at the County level.  Minnesota took a step forward and changed the law.  Several other states changed their laws which caused Minnesota to remove them from the list of out of state permits accepted in Minnesota.

I like the changes made by the other states that are now no longer accepted, someday we may get towards constitutional carry or allow military members under 21 to carry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I can understand uniformity some what.  But, ND has come a long way from when the permit system went to shall issue back in the mid 80's.
So, like everything things evolve!  The world is not perfect.

I remember chasing down photos and fingerprints for the first ND Permit.  Not like there is Walgreen's on every corner!  LOL
I had to ND DOT office in Grand Forks for the pictures.  The local sheriff did the fingerprints.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I am pretty dumb when it comes to reading laws so I have to ask;
I have a MN and Utah permit. Is my Utah permit not valid anymore in states other than MN? I travel a lot (including tx).
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a MN and Utah permit. Is my Utah permit not valid anymore in states other than MN? I travel a lot (including tx).
View Quote

Your Utah license is valid in a bunch of States.  For those of us who let our MN lapse because we had a Utah, We can not currently carry in MN because the Utah is no longer accepted in MN.  We must get a MN permit once again.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Four states were removed from the 2014 list

• Missouri passed a law in 2014 to allow 19-year-old military personnel and veterans to obtain a permit. Minnesota law does not allow issuing permits to anyone under 21.

• Texas passed a law in 2014 to allow 19-year-old military personnel and veterans to obtain a permit. Minnesota law does not allow issuing permits to anyone under 21.

• Wyoming law gives local sheriffs discretion to issue permits to 18-21-years-olds. Minnesota law does not allow issuing permits to anyone under 21.  In addition Wyoming law does not require permit-holders to demonstrate shooting proficiency. Minnesota law requires training to include shooting proficiency.

• Utah law does not require permit-holders to demonstrate shooting proficiency. Minnesota law requires training to include shooting proficiency.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Your Utah license is valid in a bunch of States.  For those of us who let our MN lapse because we had a Utah, We can not currently carry in MN because the Utah is no longer accepted in MN.  We must get a MN permit once again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will I be able to continue to get the Utah permit upon renewal? Or which other states are available still (I need one that TX will honor).

By the way thanks for dumbing it down for me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#25]
The TX and MO changes are an @$$#013 move on MN AG's part...  if they don't want to recognize the tiny number of TX or MO permits issued to 18-20 year old military personnel and veterans, they could do so simply by stating they only recognize valid permits where the holder is 21+.  Other states do it that way.  It is an overreaction to essentially a non-issue.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:15:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The TX and MO changes are an @$$#013 move on MN AG's part...  if they don't want to recognize the tiny number of TX or MO permits issued to 18-20 year old military personnel and veterans, they could do so simply by stating they only recognize valid permits where the holder is 21+.  Other states do it that way.  It is an overreaction to essentially a non-issue.
View Quote

NV does the same thing.  Just because TX allows military members 19 or older to carry, all of us who have TX CHLs can't carry their either.

I really don't understand these things, why not just not recognize any permit if the person isn't 21 instead of a blanket policy?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#27]
So how hard does a push for universal recognition in MN look, like we finally got through a few years back in Iowa, and MO has had for a while?  If the AGs and governors continue to lie and screw you for over a decade, take the power away from them?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So how hard does a push for universal recognition in MN look, like we finally got through a few years back in Iowa, and MO has had for a while?  If the AGs and governors continue to lie and screw you for over a decade, take the power away from them?
View Quote
Need a governor that isn't a pill popper first

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top