Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2015 7:17:49 PM EDT
For obvious reasons, haven't really seen any good posts on MN specific Gun Trusts?

I was looking at 199trust?  Sounds like a outfit out of Florida will set you up with a MN Lawyer for $600+.  I saw a name mentioned here a few weeks ago, that guy is now a County Attorney.  I believe he was also the go to guy for the FL outfit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I am going to be visiting Atomic Tactical next week some time.

They do this quite often.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I heard they were doing them, but it says coming soon on their site.  Guess I'll talk to them as well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I heard they were doing them, but it says coming soon on their site.  Guess I'll talk to them as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did mine today, it was easy and cheap. $79 and always good service from those guys. There was a small celebration going on there today for obvious reasons.

I have a feeling they are going to be extremely busy tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. There were 2 guys that came in as I was finishing up my paperwork that were coming in for trusts. Glad I got there first, the shop started to feel a little small.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I did Gun Trust Lawyer. $600 but you get support for any questions and issues for the duration of the trust, and the comfort of knowing it's done right.  I've gotten 5 stamps over the last year and a half, and not had a single issue.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had my Trust done by Sean Cody@ Texas Gun Trust

Sean is a member here and a good friend of mine  

View Quote

Sean Cody did mine as well when i lived in TX.  What do those of us with out of state trusts need to know about bringing our items into the state.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I did Gun Trust Lawyer. $600 but you get support for any questions and issues for the duration of the trust, and the comfort of knowing it's done right.  I've gotten 5 stamps over the last year and a half, and not had a single issue.
View Quote

Do you know which local Lawyer helped you?  I wonder if that is the one that is now the County Attorney?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:49:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#9]
This state is full of unemployed and underemployed lawyers.  Shouldn't be long before the more enterprising ones start offering dedicated trust services, and undercutting each other on costs for the business.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got an email from gearhog. They are running an nfa gun trust for $59 right now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'll ask Sean later today, I'll be talking to him Saturday afternoon because I need to ask my Grandson to my trust. I'll post up what he has to say

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had my Trust done by Sean Cody@ Texas Gun Trust

Sean is a member here and a good friend of mine  

Sean Cody did mine as well when i lived in TX.  What do those of us with out of state trusts need to know about bringing our items into the state.

I'll ask Sean later today, I'll be talking to him Saturday afternoon because I need to ask my Grandson to my trust. I'll post up what he has to say

thanks dpmmn
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Any one have any experience with Ben Rust, Minnesota Gun Trust Lawyer?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was wondering this too. I've seen his advertising.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I messaged him on facebook, he asked me almost right away to email him.  I emailed him and he asked to call, this was at around 2300 hours.  Talked to him on the phone, he sounded a little overworked but we got started on the track to get me a suppressor.  I ordered the Bronze package and he is going to bill me for some add ons.  So far, I'm liking this.  For $150 I'm going to have a trust from a LAWYER!  Also, he will let you upgrade in the future to get more control over the trust and more options and he will take your previous payments as full towards the next level.

ETA: From what he said he is working on the website, he seemed a little self conscious of that but said it is a work in progress.  He seems busy, rightfully so.  Get that money well its flowing!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I did mine with Dakota Silencer when I  bought my first one. Didn't cost me anything for the trust, and they have an easy template.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I messaged him on facebook, he asked me almost right away to email him.  I emailed him and he asked to call, this was at around 2300 hours.  Talked to him on the phone, he sounded a little overworked but we got started on the track to get me a suppressor.  I ordered the Bronze package and he is going to bill me for some add ons.  So far, I'm liking this.  For $150 I'm going to have a trust from a LAWYER!  Also, he will let you upgrade in the future to get more control over the trust and more options and he will take your previous payments as full towards the next level.

ETA: From what he said he is working on the website, he seemed a little self conscious of that but said it is a work in progress.  He seems busy, rightfully so.  Get that money well its flowing!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does he come from a gun background?  Interested in hearing if anyone else tries using this guy and what their experiences are.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Can anybody explain the difference between his bronze and silver NFA trust?

Sounds like silver is ,"Here is your trust, you're on your own". Also sounds like you may not be able to add others?

I am looking for one that I can add my family (all adults) and niece who at the time is 5.
I also want to make sure if anything goes wrong with the trust, the person who wrote it has to answer for it.

I want some fun toys very badly but do not trust all the legal speak.

If anyone can help I would be forever greatful.

Thanks.

Website. http://minnesotaguntrustlawyer.com/?page_id=40

ETA: are the add ons other nfa items down the road? I think an sbr will be first then suppressor later (or sooner)

ETA: found another nfa trust lawyer. http://lawkps.com
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#18]
This guy seems very legit.  I already have my trust, it looks straight.  As far as price, it was very reasonable and you get a discount for being a member (on the email list) of GOCRA.  I paid for an add on sheet to be able to add Co-Trustees.  You NEED to call this guy, he is very straight forward.  He will tell you what is a good idea, but at the same time will not try to sell you a $1000 trust if you don't need it.  I got my trust in 22 hours from order time.

I NOW HAVE A TRUST!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got my trust this afternoon from Atomic,  they were busy today.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This guy seems very legit.  I already have my trust, it looks straight.  As far as price, it was very reasonable and you get a discount for being a member (on the email list) of GOCRA.  I paid for an add on sheet to be able to add Co-Trustees.  You NEED to call this guy, he is very straight forward.  He will tell you what is a good idea, but at the same time will not try to sell you a $1000 trust if you don't need it.  I got my trust in 22 hours from order time.

I NOW HAVE A TRUST!!!
View Quote

Did you go with his "bronze" trust? I was confused if you can add trustees for that price or if it's extra? I spoke with him briefly, but didn't get too detailed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Did you go with his "bronze" trust? I was confused if you can add trustees for that price or if it's extra? I spoke with him briefly, but didn't get too detailed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I NOW HAVE A TRUST!!!

The form to add trustees is more, but he hooked me up with a GOCRA discount.  It cost me not a whole lot more, I asked for it and he just added it and billed me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The form to add trustees is more, but he hooked me up with a GOCRA discount.  It cost me not a whole lot more, I asked for it and he just added it and billed me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I NOW HAVE A TRUST!!!

So you went with the "bronze" then..?? + The form to add additional trustees?

This is the part I'm confused about. I thought that when you draft the trust, you appoint trustees right off the bat. Maybe some of the more generic trusts are like that, but when you're having an actual attorney customize/tailor the trust, I'm guessing that's sort of an add-on service and extra charge.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is the part I'm confused about. I thought that when you draft the trust, you appoint trustees right off the bat. Maybe some of the more generic trusts are like that, but when you're having an actual attorney customize/tailor the trust, I'm guessing that's sort of an add-on service and extra charge.
View Quote

Been emailing Ben today and looks like I'll likely go with the bronze + so that I can designate my wife as the successor trustee right in the trust. Haven't even talked price. I feel better going with an actual attorney and it's nice he's a resident.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Been emailing Ben today and looks like I'll likely go with the bronze + so that I can designate my wife as the successor trustee right in the trust. Haven't even talked price. I feel better going with an actual attorney and it's nice he's a resident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I went with the Bronze and then the add on to appoint Trustees.  I will most likely be working with him in the future to get a better trust and some other things in regards to life documents.

ETA: the Bronze is a purpose built trust for NFA items.  It looks towards state law and or other documents such as a will for what to do with the items when you pass.

ETA 2: YOU NEED TO CALL HIM AND TALK TO HIM AND ASK HIM THE QUESTIONS! :)
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Ben is definitely good people.  I got to have a chat with him a few days ago and is a very firearms friendly attorney.  He also added me on hi NFA FFL finder.  

Quoted:

Yes, I went with the Bronze and then the add on to appoint Trustees.  I will most likely be working with him in the future to get a better trust and some other things in regards to life documents.

ETA: the Bronze is a purpose built trust for NFA items.  It looks towards state law and or other documents such as a will for what to do with the items when you pass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I got my trust from Ben Rust today

He was very helpful, eager to help actually, he really seems to like this shit

it was easy and painless, I went with the $100 dollar package just to get the ball rolling. I have no kids, live alone, I can add people later. I just wanted to get the ball rolling for now.

I highly recommend him, but keep in mind he is going to be a VERY busy guy, be patient, dont be a douche if he cant get back to you right away.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm all over it. Sounds like you guys couldn't be happier.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:46:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm all over it. Sounds like you guys couldn't be happier.  
View Quote

At this point I'm not sure I could have found better.  He helped, and quickly and the trust is squared away in regards to many aspects from what I can tell.  I would not recommend another way at this point with my limited knowledge once you factor in what he is charging.  He is going to be busy (if he isn't already) once more and more people find out, he is simply the best option I've found so far.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Count me in as another client of Ben Rust...  He was more then understanding with me and answered all my stupid questions.  I believe, as soon as the tidal wave subsides, I'll have him upgrade the trust to a more complete estate plan.

Thanks Ben!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do recall a Ramsey county attorney who bragged about how the former sheriff and his brazen anti carry antics were a wonderful source of income. He has been so successful at during the county he managed to put both of his kids through 4 years of college on that alone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't waste your money on going to a lawyer to do your trusts.

Brandon over at http://www.dakotasilencer.com/ will do them for you for free if you buy a can from him.  He doesn't mess around either.  The approved paperwork and suppressors get shipped direct to your door. No messing around with a middle man at a sports shop that doesn't have a clue on NFA items.

Brandon is the go to NFA guy here in ND/SD. Give him a call 888.781.8778

Hope this helps you guys out.
xdeano
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Brandon over at http://www.dakotasilencer.com/ will do them for you for free if you buy a can from him.  He doesn't mess around either.  The approved paperwork and suppressors get shipped direct to your door. No messing around with a middle man at a sports shop that doesn't have a clue on NFA items.

xdeano
View Quote

Trusts aren't a one-size fits all product.  This is estate planning.  Determining successor trustees (the people who will manage the trust and in most cases take possession of the trust assets when you die) can be complicated.  Nothing wrong with getting MN-specific legal advice if that helps people sleep better.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

xdeano
View Quote

Thanks for the info, Brandon.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

xdeano

????

I second using dakota silencer.
I'm 4 for 4 using his trust template. 3 cans and an SBR.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Ben rust is using gundocx  out of Kirkland Washington.  That's what my form said at least when I filled it out.  The guy is very responsive and has good communication.  He'd have high feedback here on ARFcom.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ben rust is using gundocx  out of Kirkland Washington.  That's what my form said at least when I filled it out.  The guy is very responsive and has good communication.  He'd have high feedback here on ARFcom.
View Quote

So he's basically using canned docs just like the other nfa trust sites?  Is there anything MN specific in there or can I get the same thing for cheaper someplace else?  I'm not a lawyer but I'd have to think there's not that many different ways to create a trust.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So he's basically using canned docs just like the other nfa trust sites?  Is there anything MN specific in there or can I get the same thing for cheaper someplace else?  I'm not a lawyer but I'd have to think there's not that many different ways to create a trust.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get the same bronze trust from Gundocx.com for $97.

With Ben you would also get 1/2 of his time, to walk you through the process, and the ability to apply the amount you have already paid towards and upgraded trust in the future.

If you are comfortable doing it on your own and have now plans on a more advanced trust then you really wouldn't need a lawyer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Right.  Part of the price for me was bens service.  For $3 I think it's worth it.
I also like having another person on the line with me, JIC.

I would have paid more than $100 for a locally backed trust.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone know how late he takes calls? I work late and don't want to play the phone tag game.

So how much are we talking for a trust with beneficiaries(sp?) ball park?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks like that's the silver.  For GOCRA member it's $200.
He returned my emails after 8pm I never phoned him
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Looks like that's the silver.  For GOCRA member it's $200.
He returned my emails after 8pm I never phoned him
View Quote

I thought the $250 ($50 GOCRA discount available) was the bronze plus. Silver is $500 ($100 GOCRA discount).

Bronze plus will get most people what they need.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#42]
This is Ben Rust from Minnesotaguntrustlawyer.com. I am using the Gundocx software to prepare trusts. It is a forms-based system, but a dirty little secret is that every lawyer uses forms to create legal documents. It prevents errors. The Bronze trust is 17 pages long. I don't know anyone who can type up a 17 page document without making a couple errors. If your lawyer doesn't use forms, I would strongly suggest that you find another lawyer.

I wouldn't call the documents 'canned'. When I sit down and consult with someone to do a trust it is taking about an hour for a Bronze Plus and 2-3 hours for a Silver trust. There are a important decisions to make and each of them can have a significant impact on what it is that you want to do. Its not terribly difficult to read the words on the pages of a trust and understand what effect they will have. The concepts are not that difficult to master, but when you apply those concepts to the specific facts of your situation there can be profound differences in the effect that the choices you make have on the way that you possess, use and ultimately distribute the firearms to those you leave behind.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#43]
The best analogy I have is that getting a trust is like buying blueprints for a building. You can get predone blueprints out of the back of Popular Mechanics and if you have sufficient knowledge and follow those blueprints carefully you will end up with a functioning building. Will that building be the most appropriate shelter for your intended use? Unless you have some background in construction or architecture, you don't know what you don't know. Contrast that to going to an architect. You tell the architect what your goals are, where you plan to build, what you intend to use the building for, how long you want it to last, and how much you have in the building budget. The fees you pay the architect will likely be substantially more than the PM blueprints, but in the end you are going to have a building that will meet your specific needs that will probably save you money in the long run. Thats the difference between me and a canned online trust. I'm like the architect that will help you build a solid plan for you that is custom fit to your particular needs. I'll talk to you about what it is that you want to do and get you a product that fits your exact needs. If your single, have no kids, and don't really care who gets the firearms after you die or become incapacitated, then the Bronze will get you your stamp and you're perfectly happy. If you have a more complicated family situation or want to control where your firearms go after your death or incapacity you need something more advanced. Maybe you want to leave a gun or two to a charitable organization. Maybe to one of the groups that got you the ability to get a suppressor in the first place. cough GOCRA / MNGOPAC / SilentMinnesota cough.   I can help you do that. I'll give you the advice about what effect the choices you are making will have, and leave the choices up to you. As YOUR lawyer that's my job, and I truly do love what I do.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#44]
If the only reason you're getting a trust is to get a stamp without getting fingerprinted, photographed, and a CLEO signature, you're missing 75% of the value of a trust. I think I provide a valuable service, and my clients seem to agree. If you want to know how I can help you, get in touch with me and I'm happy to talk it over with you. I've been a member here for about 4 years but kids and a career mean I don't have a lot of time to lurk in the forums and respond to messages here. If you want to get in touch, the best way is through email or phone, both of which are on the website.

Thanks to those that have left reviews. It is my privilege to work with you all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for chiming in Ben.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:03:04 AM EDT
[#46]
you posting on here convinced me,will get the basic trust and upgrade in the future just want to get things going.you will have another customer the next week
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

????

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

xdeano

????

That's great but their advertised prices (full retail!) are terrible, unless they have a discount when you call in or something.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#48]
They have price matched everyone for me.
if they have it in stock, they price matched plus their transfer fee, and I didn't have to wait for the transfer from dealer to dealer.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 4:46:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I used Mr. Ben Rust from MN Gun Trust Lawer and can honestly say it was a very informational and positive experience. He is the first and last that I would recommend. Top notch guy!
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I used Mr. Ben Rust from MN Gun Trust Lawer and can honestly say it was a very informational and positive experience. He is the first and last that I would recommend. Top notch guy!
View Quote

This. Same experience for me. A+++++
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top