Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2015 11:12:17 PM EDT
Hey all,

I grew up in MN, but that was many years ago in my youth, before I truly had an appreciation for firearms.  I've been in Georgia since roughly 2001 or so, and have become accustomed to very generous gun laws.  I'm considering a move back home, and was curious what the laws were concerning a few things, namely concealed (or open) carry and SBR's.  I already know that I've got to do something with my suppressors before the move, should it happen.

Can y'all help me out on the legality concerning concealed (or open) carry?  Is there a difference?  Are SBR's legal?  How likely is the 'new' suppressor bill to pass?  Or point me to a source that has this knowledge all in a convenient place?

If it matters any, I'm considering the Saint Cloud area.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Minnesota has a shall issue carry permit that allows open or concealed carry.  Class for the permit runs $75-$100, permit is $100 and is good for 5 years.  A permit to carry or a permit to purchase, free and good for a year, is required for hand gun or evil assault rifle purchases.

As you know cans are a no go at this time and with governor mumbles running the show I see it as unlikely that the can bill will pass in the near term.  At least we have traction with it in the lower houses.

SBRs are good to go but SBSs and non-C&R full auto are out.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate the reply, Scott.  Its good to know that the carry permit is 'shall issue.'
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Minnesota has a shall issue carry permit that allows open or concealed carry.  Class for the permit runs $75-$100, permit is $100 and is good for 5 years.  A permit to carry or a permit to purchase, free and good for a year, is required for hand gun or evil assault rifle purchases.

As you know cans are a no go at this time and with governor mumbles running the show I see it as unlikely that the can bill will pass in the near term.  At least we have traction with it in the lower houses.

SBRs are good to go but SBSs and non-C&R full auto are out.

View Quote
Because I have been growing more interest in getting a MG, can your elaborate on this for me?

I hear some folks claim that you can legally get post 86 MGs, but I don't understand how.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Because I have been growing more interest in getting a MG, can your elaborate on this for me?  

I hear some folks claim that you can legally get post 86 MGs, but I don't understand how.

View Quote
FFL SOT's can deal with post '86 machine guns. To my knowledge, they don't really "own" them, they are just part of the business inventory, and when they go out of business, they must transfer them to another SOT, or destroy them. If you are not an SOT, you are restricted to currently NFA registered machine guns. If you live in Minnesota, you are further restricted to C&R machine guns. In about 21 years, all NFA machine guns will be C&R eligible, unless we can get rid of the Hughes ammendment.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I just moved up here from Georgia.  Thanks for the information about carry permits.  

What is the longest blade you can have in a pocket knife before you need a permit?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is the longest blade you can have in a pocket knife before you need a permit?
View Quote

First of all, the 'Permit to Carry a Pistol' only allows handguns to be carried for self defense purposes, no other weapons, and butterfly knives and automatic knives are illegal to carry for any reason outside the home.

That said, there's no length limit. I have a folder in my pocket every day and the blade lengths vary between 2 and 4 inches. Just don't be dumb about how and where you use it and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:05:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

First of all, the 'Permit to Carry a Pistol' only allows handguns to be carried for self defense purposes, no other weapons, and butterfly knives and automatic knives are illegal to carry for any reason outside the home.

That said, there's no length limit. I have a folder in my pocket every day and the blade lengths vary between 2 and 4 inches. Just don't be dumb about how and where you use it and you'll be fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Do you need a permit to have your pistol at work or in your car?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If the pistol is unloaded and in a secured case, then no permit to carry is needed, as it is considered to being transported.  If the pistol is loaded, then you will need a permit to carry. http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/ss/ssfiretrns.pdf

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Do you need a permit to have your pistol at work or in your car?

If the pistol is unloaded and in a secured case, then no permit to carry is needed, as it is considered to being transported.  If the pistol is loaded, then you will need a permit to carry. http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/ss/ssfiretrns.pdf

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

for my own clarification. if the mags are loaded but not in the gun is it still considered in transport. or loaded. I recall a couple of states try to pull a gotcha there
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Butterfly knives are not illegal to carry. MInnesota only restricts auto (switchblade) knives that open with a "press of a button". Stupid, stupid law.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#11]
knife laws

http://www.knifeup.com/minnesota-knife-laws/
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Not as good as some not as bad as others!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top