Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let's hope so!
View Quote

Nope I disagree. There's nothing there that Dems want to pass. And lots there they don't want to pass. It's a bad move that jepordizes a good chunk of the gun legislation that would otherwise be rubber stamped.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
An update from GOCRA's Facebook page.

GUN VOTE THURSDAY
On Thursday, the full House will vote on four gun rights bills.
Please come to the Capitol at 3:00 Thursday to show your support for these bills! Wear your GOCRA shirt (or any maroon shirt), to show our strength.
Need a shirt? Pre-order one here: www.gocra.mn/shirt
Here are the bills:
Rep. Mark Anderson's suppressor bill, HF1434
Rep. Eric Lucero's interstate purchase bill, HF830
Rep. Jim Newberger's emergency Powers bill, HF722
Rep. Jim Nash's capitol notification bill, HF372
These bills will be presented and voted individually, to show how much support they have in the House, which should help the omnibus bill move forward (see our last update).
When: Thursday, April 16, 2015, 3:00 p.m.
Where: Minnesota State Capitol
Map: www.gocra.mn/capmap
Park: $1.75/hr in lot AA (at Aurora & Rice) or at meters
Wear: A maroon shirt (especially a GOCRA shirt!) -- or dress clothes (suits or dresses)
Carry: Discreetly, after notifying the commissioner: www.gocra.mn/capcarry
Tip: The meters and parking are only enforced until 4! Don't overfeed the meters!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
From GOCRA:

Everyone wants to know: what's going on with the suppressor bill?
THAT DEPENDS ON YOU!
If the House sees a big turnout of support for the suppressor legalization bill, HF1434, on Thursday at 3:00, they may be convinced to put the suppressor bill into the public safety omnibus bill.
Adding the suppressor bill to the omnibus would give it the BEST CHANCE of getting through the Senate.
So put on a maroon shirt and join us at the Capitol on Thursday at 3:00, and let the legislature know loud and clear that Minnesotans like their guns...not quite as loud.

-------------

Dustin's comments:

I will be at the Capitol early tomorrow, hope to see some of you there.

Everyone please contact your Reps. Tell them to please add the suppressor bill to the omnibus bill.

We need the suppressor bill attached to the omnibus bill if it is to have any chance in the Senate this year. This is the only way to get the suppressor bill on the Senate floor given the Senate Committee Chair's strong anti gun stance. The Senate itself is slightly pro gun, as is the Senate majority leader.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Silencer Bill Status
04/15/2015 House rule 1.21, placed on Calendar for the Day Thursday, April 16, 2015
View Quote

This is new.  :)  Hopefully after it is read the second time it goes on the General Register then onto the Calendar for the Day.

Edited to add; It is on the Calendar now.
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/cco/calendar.asp

Randy
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Silencer Bill Status

This is new.  :)  Hopefully after it is read the second time it goes on the General Register then onto the Calendar for the Day.

Randy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Silencer Bill Status
04/15/2015 House rule 1.21, placed on Calendar for the Day Thursday, April 16, 2015

Randy

Thanks for the update.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I emailed my rep Bob Vogel about getting HF1434 added to the omnibus public safety finance bill. I hope to see some of you guys at the capitol tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I am live blogging at.   http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=47068

We have a good turn out, so far one bill passed the House.

Another passed, read my live blog for details, suppressor are up now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Capitol Carry passed.  Suppressors coming up now.

ETA:  Emergency Powers passed as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Jesus, Dehn is a babbling moron.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there somewhere that I cab listen to live coverage?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Live audio and video is availableI. I can't do a search with this iPad right now. When you find it please post the link.

We won every bill including suppressors!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
1434 carries.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#14]
89-40 is not the landslide I was hoping for, but better than a loss.

Randy
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
89-40 is not the landslide I was hoping for, but better than a loss.

Randy
View Quote

It's certainly better than passing 65-64 or 40-89 against.  If you look at the other pro-gun bills that passed, this is roughly the same margin of victory.  While I haven't looked at the voting breakdown, I would hazard a bet that those 40 votes are for urban districts around the Cities, Duluth, and/or Rochester.  Those are the types of people who would vote against a bill saying the sky was blue and the grass was green if they thought it was pro gun.

The bigger battles will be in the Senate and (hopefully) the Governor's desk.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I think every republican voted pro gun on every bill. Our only problem seems to be the sizable metro dems. I will update you guys after I get home and check. I am at the victory dinner party right now.

Luckily this is an omnibus bill, and the governor can't line item veto parts of it. I support line item vetos, but not having them helps us now. We have the votes in the senate, but all of the key positions for mucking things up are staffed by radical anti gun types, with the exception of the senate speaker.

We now have a better than 50% chance of getting these bills signed into law.

Live and archived video of the House and Senate   http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/htv/liveweb.htm
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#17]

So what does it look like in the senate?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think every republican voted pro gun on every bill. Our only problem seems to be the sizable metro dems. I will update you guys after I get home and check. I am at the victory dinner party right now.

Luckily this is an omnibus bill, and the governor can't line item veto parts of it. I support line item vetos, but not having them helps us now. We have the votes in the senate, but all of the key positions for mucking things up are staffed by radical anti gun types, with the exception of the senate speaker.
View Quote
Wonderful

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#19]
When does it get voted on in the senate?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Pretty soon, possibly without much warning. The deadline is in a few weeks, and a lot of the items in the omnibus are important.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pretty soon, possibly without much warning. The deadline is in a few weeks, and a lot of the items in the omnibus are important.
View Quote

Well, for what it's worth, you're doing great work.

Keep it up.

Liberal tears are the best tears.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:35:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for the updates.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for the updates and a special thanks to those that attended yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#24]
There is a roll call vote here; but the yeas and nays are reversed.  
Vote List

Here is a better list; page 1946.
Journal of the House

This is how we determine how many GOP voted against the bill and how many DFL voted for it.  Anyone want to go through it?  I figure at least 17 DFL Reps voted for the silencer bill

Randy
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#25]
It'll never pass the senate, will it? :(
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Right now it is up to Senator Latz (DFL), the Chair of the Judiciary Committee.  I've read that they meet from noon to 1:30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays but nothing appears on the schedule yet.  Might want to write to Latz and politely educate him on the benefits of silencer use.  How often does the Senate kill a bill from the House that passed by over a 2/3's margin?

On the other hand this link, http://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/deadlines.aspx says;
1st deadline - March 20, 2015
2nd deadline - March 27, 2015
3rd deadline - April 24, 2015

Explanation

There is no yearly deadline for the introduction of bills. However, each year the Legislature establishes deadlines for committee action on bills. Committee deadlines are announced during the first half of a session in order to winnow the list of topics to be dealt with that year.

"The deadlines do not apply to the House committees on Capital Investment, Ways and Means, Finance, Taxes, or Rules and Legislative Administration, nor to the Senate committees on Capital Investment, Finance, Taxes, or Rules and Administration."

"The first deadline is for committees to act favorably on bills in the house of origin."

"The second deadline is for committees to act favorably on bills, or companions of bills, that met the first deadline in the other house."

"The third deadline is for committees to act favorably on major appropriation and finance bills."

"When a committee in either house acts favorably on a bill after a deadline established in the concurrent resolution, the bill must be referred in the Senate to the Committee on Rules and Administration and in the House of Representatives to the Committee on Rules and Legislative Administration for disposition. Either rules committee, when reporting a bill referred to the committee under this rule, may waive application of the rule to subsequent actions on that bill by other committees."
View Quote

In this case the bill is now in the hands of Senator Bakk (DFL).

Randy
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#27]
The Senate is mostly pro gun, and with these bills being incorporated into the omnibus bill the Senate will have to act on them in some fashion. Now is the time to contact our Senators.

https://www.facebook.com/gocra  Has score sheets for how everyone voted.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Does an omnibus bill have to go through committee or does it go straight to the full Senate for a vote?  I think that's the only thing I'm not 100% clear on.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I haven't been able to find the omnibus details online yet, but there's some confusion on whether or not HF1434 (the surpressor bill we all love) is in the omnibus bill or if it still stands on its own.  Does anyone know for sure, or know where we can confirm?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I guy can hope!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#31]
the house suppressor bill stands on its own,  it is not in the house omnibus bill.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
the house suppressor bill stands on its own,  it is not in the house omnibus bill.
View Quote

OK, but knowing that this would go to Latz's committee why wouldn't it be added to the omnibus bill?  And why was GOCRA pushing for supporters to show up to the floor vote, saying that support would convince people that the suppressor bill would be added to the omnibus bill?

Don't get me wrong, GOCRA is doing a great job in working with the legislature on this bill (and the other pro-gun bills in process) but letting it stand on its own and leaving it in the hands of Senator Latz to hear in his committee is almost guaranteeing that this bill will never see a vote in the Senate.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:31:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah I don't understand that strategy either. Can someone explain why the suppressor bill wasn't included in the omnibus.  Seems like a fatal mistake to me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I oops the Senate bill number but I just shot off an email to Latz, Bakk and Lourey (my senator).

It can't hurt, right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't imagine the bill going anywhere unless some sort of deal is made.  This is why it is called politics.

Randy
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
All we can do is hope and pray, but I seriously doubt the governor will sign it.
View Quote

He won't.

Not including it in the omnibus bill was astoundingly stupid and irresponsible.

We have an openly hostile governor and numerous senators. Were it part of a larger bill full of the liberal dreck he wants to sign, it would pass easily.

Staying on its own, I doubt any pro gun legislation has a snowballs chance of getting signed, especially "Silencers."
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#38]
All of this "the bill won't pass" crap is getting a bit tedious.  If you don't want a gun bill passed, just say so.

A bill does not need the governor's signature to become law, it happens after several days unless it is vetoed.  

This is what an omnibus bill is; http://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/faq/faqtoc.aspx?subject=2
An omnibus bill is a large bill that is generally made up of numerous smaller bills on the same broad topic....
View Quote

No one is going to get a pro-gun bill included in any omnibus bill along with an anti-gun bill (or whatever liberal dreck is supposed to mean), so forget about just trying to slip it in and hope people want something else so bad they are willing to let silencers become legal again.  Most likely a deal will be made to allow it a vote in the Senate or it will be allowed to die.

Randy
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I've heard a lot of opinion on what is in and out of the omnibus bill, but I can't seem to find the actual omnibus bill info anywhere online.  It would seem to me that it should be something that we can lookup and avoid opinions and instead focus on facts - correct?

When you lookup any of the pro-gun bills on the House website, they all show a status of 'passed'.  For example:  

HF 830:  https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?b=House&f=HF0830&ssn=0&y=2015
HF 372:  https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?b=house&f=HF372&ssn=0&y=2015
HF 722:  https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?b=House&f=HF0722&ssn=0&y=2015

All 3 of these show 'Bill Was Passed' - but these are the three bills currently noted as part of the House Omnibus bill.  (again, only hearing opinions, can't find confirmation which is frustrating)

By comparison, HF 1434 also shows 'Bill Was Passed':
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?b=house&f=HF1434&ssn=0&y=2015

Yet, despite having the same status online, we hear only anecdotally that this isn't part of the omnibus bill.

What I'm hoping someone can help with is an official source of what is part of the omnibus bill - not their opinion or 'what they've heard'.  I've searched the legislature's website with no luck.  

Has anyone else been able to find anything official?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I sure hope it passed I just became debt free And I sure would like to get a few cans for fun.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Per GOCRA's FB comments, and talking in person to GOCRA president Andrew Rothman, GOCRA has wanted the suppressor bill in the omnibus bill since the beginning. Quote from GOCRA's FB page: "The House GOP leadership hadn't yet decided to add it to the omnibus. They clearly need to do so."   I heard, but I am not sure from whom, that the reason it isn't is because it failed a 24 hour deadline to make it in before, but the bill can be added later.

The omnibus strategy is to force the gun bills through with the rest of the "almost must" pass bills. I seriously doubt the governor would veto an omnibus bill. We need to write our House reps and let them know to add the suppressor bill to the omnibus bill.

My personal guess is the House and Senate leaderships are still debating what bills to pass this year. I hope it isn't a matter of them not being sure if they want to push and spend the political capitol on suppressors, and the delay is just a coincidence or nothing to worry about, but I am not sure.  We need to write/call/visit them and convince them to pass them all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What I'm hoping someone can help with is an official source of what is part of the omnibus bill - not their opinion or 'what they've heard'.  I've searched the legislature's website with no luck.  

Has anyone else been able to find anything official?
View Quote

Is this what you're looking for?
HF 849
I have no idea how current this is, or if it's more or less useful that Dustin's post above.
I found it here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#43]
tjsei- I read the damn omnibus bill with my own eyes.  the omnibus bill did NOT have the silencer bill in it.

Abbey Simons from Star Tribune tweeted that the omnibus bill did include the silencer bill, but i corrected her and she sent out a corrected tweet saying it was not part of the omnibus bill.

As it stands today, the silencer bill is on its own.  I don't see the language in any other bill.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Too late to get it added?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Was told it was added yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome if true!
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Awesome if true!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome if true!

Can anyone confirm this before I send out another round of letters.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#48]
GOCRA said it was added last night. I am listening to the audio of that committee now.

Suppressor audio 28:15 minutes / seconds into the audio. Adopted into the omnibus bill with one nay.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome if true!

GOCRA Update on FB
4/20/15 at 7:00pm

GOCRA HF1434 Update

Last night, with no fuss, the House Public Safety Committee added Rep. Mark Anderson's HF1434 suppressor legalization bill to the House Public Safety omnibus bill, HF849.

This means that, once the bill passes the full House, the Senate will be forced to consider and vote on the measure.

If you're not getting GOCRA emails, sign up today for instructions on how to help. gocra.mn/join
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#50]
This issue doesn't seem to be as emotional as the carry issue when that was going through the legislature (both times).  Hopefully most people just don't care, and the omnibus passes with no drama.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top