Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I think so, but there is another way to vote bills to the floor if the committee refuses to act.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I really hope they do this right and instead of trying to get it to stand on its own, attach it to something the retard we call a governor will sign no matter what is attached to it.

I'd very much like to have suppressors. I Can think of a Tavor I've got that would be freakin sweet with a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
In WA after the SBR bill was killed by the committee chair on the final day of hearings, the Speaker of the House plucked the bill out of committee and brought it to the floor for a vote.  Are the House and Senate leaders in the MN legislature allowed to do the same?  Thanks.

Randy
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a process. I am not sure about the details. We did that the second time we had to pass the carry law. The first time our carry law passed it was struck down on a technicality.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:49:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really hope they do this right and instead of trying to get it to stand on its own, attach it to something the retard we call a governor will sign no matter what is attached to it.

I'd very much like to have suppressors. I Can think of a Tavor I've got that would be freakin sweet with a suppressor on it.
View Quote

Thats shaky ground. Judges could screw with things that way.. best is to compromise with libs, pass something they want in return for signing this.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The first carry bill was struck down because it was attached to a general DNR bill. Minnesota has a law that requires the Legislature to approve only single-subject legislation.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure, but is it Erin Murphy (Chair of the Rules and Legislative Administration) who we are waiting for to schedule the silencer bill for a third reading on the House floor?  Anyone know if she supports the bill?

Randy
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
She has a F grade from GOCRA.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#9]
So how are things going with this?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Erin Murphy is a democrat who represents St Paul.  She's a baby boomer, so too young to be an old school, more common sense democrat and too old to be open to new ideas on guns like some of the millenial dems.  I can guess her opinion on just about any issue with probably 99% accuracy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not sure, but is it Erin Murphy (Chair of the Rules and Legislative Administration) who we are waiting for to schedule the silencer bill for a third reading on the House floor?  Anyone know if she supports the bill?

Randy
View Quote

The current chair of the Rules and Legislative Administration is Joyce Peppin. A democrat wouldn't be chair in the Republican controlled house.

Here is the current committee info for the house:
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/comm/commemlist.asp
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Randy
View Quote

I'm more concerned about Latz not hearing the companion bill in the Judiciary committee in the Senate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Wouldn't a DFL Senate committee chair be more willing to give a gun bill coming from the House a hearing verses one from the Senate?  

Can anyone help explain this to me?
Committee deadlines
1st deadline - March 20, 2015
2nd deadline - March 27, 2015
3rd deadline - April 24, 2015

"The first deadline is for committees to act favorably on bills in the house of origin."

"The second deadline is for committees to act favorably on bills, or companions of bills, that met the first deadline in the other house."

"The third deadline is for committees to act favorably on major appropriation and finance bills."
View Quote

I would assume that the Senate bill SF1435 is dead now?
If HF 1434 is passed by the House, is the Senate Judiciary Committee still allowed to consider it after March 27th?  Since the House is adjoined until April 7th, is HF 1434 dead also?  I hope not.

Randy
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Wouldn't a DFL Senate committee chair be more willing to give a gun bill coming from the House a hearing verses one from the Senate?
View Quote
Yes, they are more likely to take something up that made it through the other body without any real issues, especially if it received broad bipartisan support.

There is a possibility that the bill will skip committee. The various gun bills aren't dead despite the timeline.

Everyone reading this please contact your Representatives and Senators to try and keep the bills moving.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, they are more likely to take something up that made it through the other body without any real issues, especially if it received broad bipartisan support.

There is a possibility that the bill will skip committee. The various gun bills aren't dead despite the timeline.

Everyone reading this please contact your Representatives and Senators to try and keep the bills moving.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the update Dustin!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I was just listening to GOCRA on talk radio.  http://saleminteractivemedia.com/ListenLive/player/WWTCAM   1-3pm Saturday March 28th. GOCRA President Andrew Rothman is asking us to keep pushing our Reps and Senators to push this forward. He also wants us to contact the Senate Majority leader. More details to follow. I have to go to work soon. They will broadcast from Bill's all day today and tomorrow.

Bills gun shop and range is hosting a big event Friday to Sunday. https://www.billsgs.com/  GOCRA has a table there. I might be able to make it later tonight, or at least tomorrow. Free gun rentals from a lot of manufactures, shoot anything for free if you buy the ammo, including full auto.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#17]
The Senate majority leader is Tom Bakk. He's from the range and generally pro gun. Here is a page with his contact info:

http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/members/member_bio.php?mem_id=1003
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Any updates on this?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#20]
That has been the word since day 1.. its all hearsay nothing substancial
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Update:

Word is the Governor will probably not sign it.  
View Quote

Yup it was a waste to push with a dem controlled Senate and sir slurs a lot.

The only chance for it is bargaining, push something they want through in reciprocation for this. The republicans won't play that game because they don't see this as important.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The only chance for it is bargaining, push something they want through in reciprocation for this. The republicans won't play that game because they don't see this as important.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update:

Word is the Governor will probably not sign it.  

Everything said here is the truth, sadly.  As I was planning my SBR, I was debating on going with a 300BLK, then I realized that the suppressor law has little chance to be signed by Governor stutters.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is not a waste to push and keep pushing for several years.

Randy
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:07:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

No there is a point when it is a waste of peoples thought and time. I'm grateful for the people who testified and pushed, for this but everyone knew deep down that this wasn't going anywhere.

There's a reason the S word isn't normally allowed in the MN HTF
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It took years to get a carry law passed. Keep up the fight!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've never seen you edit or lock a suppressor thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it's been fun saying while we still can!  SUPPRESSOR.  SUPPRESSOR.  SUPPRESSOR.  SUPPRESSOR.  SUPPRESSOR.  SUPPRESSOR.

LOOK! I didn't edit/lock myself!

I've never seen you edit or lock a suppressor thread

One of the biggest things is that our side did not control the language. We sunk this bill the moment we said, "Silencer." Control of the language is ESSENTIAL. 99.5% of the American people are abject fucking retards who don't understand the English language, and anything that is hyperbole is what anything is screamed.

A silencer is what I saw in the movie that the Hitman used to shoot people silently and deadly like. Only assassins use silencers.

A "Sound Moderator" like they have in Europe is considered to be the decent and right thing to do not making noise all over the damned place. It doesn't silence the gun, just quiet's it down. Moderates it, if you will. The silencer debate is no different than the Assault Weapon debate, and realistically we have lost the language war in regards to Assault Weapons to the point that it has become a liberal touchstone word for just about anything that fires a bullet up to and including a Thompson Contender. Remember the Black Talon bullets? Ermagherd, those evil Black Talon bullets are soooo dangerous that they wanted to ban the ammunition. Now the police use them as Ranger SXT. They sound so much more happy and cuddly like that.

The next time this possibility comes up we need to control the language and not hamstring ourselves out of the gate.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Does this mean it wasn't signed? Or is it still possible?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't wait to go back West. Minnesota is starting to wear it's welcome on me and I've only been back for 3 days
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can't wait to go back West. Minnesota is starting to wear it's welcome on me and I've only been back for 3 days
View Quote

How was tech school?

I've got a couple guys down there right now in basic, and one in tech school I think at Keesler.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Does ayone know why the GOP is not putting the silencer bill on the calendar for a third reading?  With the GOP controlling the Rules & Legislative Administration Committee why would the bill not have a chance?  Anyone ever get Representative Peppin's opinion on HF 1434?  If the GOP allows the bill to die in committee, then it might be harder in the future.

Randy
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does ayone know why the GOP is not putting the silencer bill on the calendar for a third reading?  With the GOP controlling the Rules & Legislative Administration Committee why would the bill not have a chance?  Anyone ever get Representative Peppin's opinion on HF 1434?  If the GOP allows the bill to die in committee, then it might be harder in the future.

Randy
View Quote

Politicians are the most career minded people on the planet. For a smart politician, if something is not advantageous to their career and/or continued reelection, they won't do it.

It's not about us and what we want or need, it's about their career and the next rung on the ladder of power.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Randy
View Quote

Maybe they don't want to expend political capital on what is a sure loser since they think Dayton will veto it?  Just speculating.  But even for Republicans who say they support it, there's probably a difference between supporting it and willing to die on this hill if they think it will piss off a lot of anti-gun constituents.  Personally I think most average Minnesotans don't care about cans either way, but politicians don't think like us.    

This is probably a multi-year effort.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Maybe they don't want to expend political capital on what is a sure loser since they think Dayton will veto it?  Just speculating.  But even for Republicans who say they support it, there's probably a difference between supporting it and willing to die on this hill if they think it will piss off a lot of anti-gun constituents.  Personally I think most average Minnesotans don't care about cans either way, but politicians don't think like us.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

I don't think there is anyone who votes based on antigun positions.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe this or that?  No one here has bothered to write and ask Peppin's opinion?

Randy
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry to be jumping in here kind of late. What options does this bill still have? Would it be helpful to contact the representatives from my district still?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes. I just received a email from the NRA and they are asking folks to contact their reps and the House leadership to make sure this gets a vote on the house floor.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes. I just received a email from the NRA and they are asking folks to contact their reps and the House leadership to make sure this gets a vote on the house floor.
View Quote

Done.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done.

Me too...

Though I live in the Phillips Neighborhood of Minneapolis and don't think it will matter at all.

They've been trying to chase ol' Kocielski out of business for about thirty years and he's still there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Received an update from GOCRA (everyone is a member right?). None of the pro firearm bills are yet scheduled for a floor vote. Here is the guy to call:

Speaker of the house
Kurt Dauht
800-710-7642
[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 4:19:23 AM EDT
[#47]
So, any update with this?

And what about the Castle Doctrine bill I heard about a couple weeks ago?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
There has been a tacked thread for the last 4 years that has been ongoing

can threads that turn into bullshit get locked and a warning will go out

I haven't sent out a warning for one in 4 years

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There has been a tacked thread for the last 4 years that has been ongoing

can threads that turn into bullshit get locked and a warning will go out

I haven't sent out a warning for one in 4 years

This could change
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#49]
There is a vote in the House this morning on the pro firearms bills! They hope to roll them into an omnibus crime bill, this will get them into the senate for a vote. Read more here: GOCRA's facebook page
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Let's hope so!
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top