User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Effective Date listed before and after the relevant section is August 1st.  I hope I'm wrong but I need to find out for sure prior to jumping on the plane.

Randy

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sure effective date proceeds the language of the section. That effective date is for previous section.  

The Effective Date listed before and after the relevant section is August 1st.  I hope I'm wrong but I need to find out for sure prior to jumping on the plane.

Randy

There is no date for that section. So it reverts to july 1 i beleive.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There is no date for that section. So it reverts to july 1 i beleive.  
View Quote

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Thank you.  I hope that's the way it works.  

I want to put together a silencer shoot at the Northwoods Shooting Sports range near Barnum.  http://www.northwoodsshooting.com/  Anyone know this range?  

Randy
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=SF878&version=2&session=ls89&session_year=2015&session_number=0

Reading lines  4.31  to  5.17  There is no date for that section. The date on 4.29 and 4.30  is for the above section.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome job all. This is going to be fun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#5]
So just to clarify here....... Minnesota is now a suppressor state??

We can legally purchase and own??

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#6]
A big round of THANK YOU's to everyone who put in those long hours fighting the good fight!!  And thanks to everyone for the email/phone campaign!!  Now...  The only question left unanswered...

When can we start having cans transferred in to our SOT's?  Does the law have to be in effect before the ATF approves the form 3?  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

A big round of THANK YOU's to everyone who put in those long hours fighting the good fight!!  And thanks to everyone for the email/phone campaign!!  Now...  The only question left unanswered...

When can we start having cans transferred in to our SOT's?  Does the law have to be in effect before the ATF approves the form 3?  

View Quote
If your dealer is ok with it it wouldn't natter. Form 3 is dealer /manufac to dealer.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good Job Everyone!
View Quote

I would of never of guess he would sign it. I was betting he would just let it become law without his signature.

Good job to all who made this possible  Can't wait to bring my can up when I'm visiting the Grandkids.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wait...shit. I just realized. I'm gonna need a .22lr can, a .223 can, a .308 can, a 9mm can, a .45acp can...a DeLisle Carbine...
View Quote

Been there and have done that, plus I added a .40 can, and several .22lr cans.

Hell my stamp just came back today for my SBS.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there a good one that will work well on both a ruger 10/22 and a mk iii?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
July 1st they are legal to possess. August 1st you can legally hunt with them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
July 1st they are legal to possess. August 1st you can legally hunt with them.
View Quote

Just to confirm...

We can order them up now and have them waiting at our SOT's to be processed come July1?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Your dealer can possess it for you now. I would talk to a dealer about this though.

I doubt the ATF will let you file your paperwork with them until July 1st though. I plan on sending in a form 1 suppressor (manufacture) a bit before July 1st to see what happens. I need to research that a bit first. I am not sure how long until the e-form gets processed or what happens if they reject it because the law hasn't changed yet. It would be nice if they would just hold it for you for a few days. Right now I have to research trusts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your dealer can possess it for you now. I would talk to a dealer about this though.

I doubt the ATF will let you file your paperwork with them until July 1st though. I plan on sending in a form 1 suppressor (manufacture) a bit before July 1st to see what happens. I need to research that a bit first. I am not sure how long until the e-form gets processed or what happens if they reject it because the law hasn't changed yet. It would be nice if they would just hold it for you for a few days. Right now I have to research trusts.
View Quote

Not just any dealer. Has to be an SOT.

As for submitting your form 1 or 4 with the ATF, you'll be able to submit it any time, it's just that the examiner will deny it if the law isn't in effect when the form makes it to their desk. So it's a timing gamble. If you want some help in narrowing down the timing for how long it takes a form to get to an examiner, you can use NFA tracker. For paper form 4s, I'd feel OK submitting them right now. eForm 1s are going pretty fast though.

http://www.nfatracker.com/
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait...shit. I just realized. I'm gonna need a .22lr can, a .223 can, a .308 can, a 9mm can, a .45acp can...a DeLisle Carbine...

Nobody likes you...

SBS is the final NFA toy we can't have.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not quite true...like MGs, they need to be C&R.

But, good luck finding a registered SBS that's 50 years old or older.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nobody likes you...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody likes you...

I have a shotgun that's 18.1" it kinda scares me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could pin a suppressor to get the total length.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I really want a 14" 870
View Quote

Better get started then.  I would recommend researching crime associated with SBS in MN.  When and if you are able to prove that registered
SBS in MN are not associated with crime in MN, then go shopping for a sponsor.  I would recommend a blue dog Democrat; but settle for anyone who is willing to push the bill through like Cornish did with the silencer bill.

Several years ago I was researching silencer crime in MN, never really found any useful data though as little was kept.  Good luck.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#21]
double post
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty sure effective date proceeds the language of the section. That effective date is for previous section.  

Randy

Is flying with a suppressor the same as flying with a firearm or will they let you carry it on so you can keep it under your personal control, since it doesn't actually shoot a projectile on its own?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Is flying with a suppressor the same as flying with a firearm or will they let you carry it on so you can keep it under your personal control, since it doesn't actually shoot a projectile on its own?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

They won't let you take most gun parts on via carryon, I can't imagine they'd let you take a suppressor into the cabin with you.  There's a thread in the NFA forum with lots of helpful material, I've never personally done it but it doesn't seem to be that much more of a pain than flying with a regular firearm.  If there's any doubt, call the airline and get it straight from the horse's mouth.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have three870's that are 18.1"

I really want a 14" 870

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a shotgun that's 18.1" it kinda scares me.

I have three870's that are 18.1"

I really want a 14" 870

That's what my 870 started out as, with factory installed pistol grip and a over folding stock.
Now that my stamp is back I have a 14'' barrel to install after I get it engraved.

In Michigan I had to register it as a pistol because it was under 30'' OAL with the stock folded.
Our state police fought to keep that law in place until people started to carry them as pistols under a CPL.
Then they fought to have it changed to federal guidelines, but people like me are grandfathered in.
Since it's a NFA gun now I won't try to carry it anymore.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#25]
With the law change this creates a unique situation for us in MN.  I plan on building my own can, and submitting a Form 1.  Question is, do I need to wait for the law to become active, or do I submit my paperwork now seeing it'll take 5-6+ months before someone looks at it anyway?  What are people going to do that are building their own?  Curious your thoughts.  Thanks for your help!

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
With the law change this creates a unique situation for us in MN.  I plan on building my own can, and submitting a Form 1.  Question is, do I need to wait for the law to become active, or do I submit my paperwork now seeing it'll take 5-6+ months before someone looks at it anyway?  What are people going to do that are building their own?  Curious your thoughts.  Thanks for your help!

View Quote

Form 1 e-filing is actually rather quick right now.  If you formed a trust, then filed on-line, it would be hit or miss as to whether or not it was on their "desk" prior to the law being in effect.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Form 1 e-filing is actually rather quick right now.  If you formed a trust, then filed on-line, it would be hit or miss as to whether or not it was on their "desk" prior to the law being in effect.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Form 1's are taking mini 75 days right now, GOCRA just posted this on their FB page "We talked to the ATF this morning, and they confirmed that even if you mailed in your paperwork today, it would almost certainly be later than July 1 before anyone actually looked at your eligibility.".. I filed a form 1 this morning and it went pending research, I am not to worried about it. If anything they will probably leave it in research status until July 1st.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If this is true, it is going to get expensive for me.
View Quote

It's true. My Wife may be starting a "support" group for similarly affected "Wives of Gun Nuts".

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think just for shits & giggles I'll show up to the range, and training classes with a Y-Comp / muzzle brake - because I'm an asshole like that.  
View Quote

Just don't line up next to me with any kind of brake. I did a class with EAG that had me between muzzle brakes.

Waist of my time, ammo, and money. It was pure hell, and I wasn't allowed to change spots.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think just for shits & giggles I'll show up to the range, and training classes with a Y-Comp / muzzle brake - because I'm an asshole like that.  
View Quote

The only reason to have a muzzle break is if it is inside of a can.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#33]
This begs me to ask a few questions as a suppressor newbie.

I will be looking to add a few to the collection -
5.56 10.5" SBR - AAC SDN 762
300 BLK 10.5" SBR - AAC SDN 762
Spikes Tactical Mid-length ST-22 Upper - Silencerco Sparrow (SS?)

The SBRs are not built yet so I have some flexibility in building them up.  Seeing the talks on muzzle brakes, what will and wont work with the above.  The ST-22 is already built, and I would have to look at what is currently installed.  Are suppressors typically threaded and easy to remove?  I would like to keep one each on the SBRs.

I am going to root around in the other threads to teach myself some more, but figured I would ask the locals here first.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This begs me to ask a few questions as a suppressor newbie.

I will be looking to add a few to the collection -
5.56 10.5" SBR - AAC SDN 762
300 BLK 10.5" SBR - AAC SDN 762
Spikes Tactical Mid-length ST-22 Upper - Silencerco Sparrow (SS?)

The SBRs are not built yet so I have some flexibility in building them up.  Seeing the talks on muzzle brakes, what will and wont work with the above.  The ST-22 is already built, and I would have to look at what is currently installed.  Are suppressors typically threaded and easy to remove?  I would like to keep one each on the SBRs.

I am going to root around in the other threads to teach myself some more, but figured I would ask the locals here first.
View Quote

You're going to need an AAC 51T mount for the SDN. The sparrow will thread onto any 1/2x28 thread that is .400 long. Most AR barrels are threaded .600 long so you will need a spacer. My Spectre 2 came with one but that was a year ago when I bought it. I don't know if SiCo is still shipping them with spacers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#35]
This is great news. I'm moving to the state as we speak. I had amended my trust to add a relative as a Co-Trustee. Poor him doesn't get to enjoy my suppressor. I'll be bringing it with me.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just don't line up next to me with any kind of brake. I did a class with EAG that had me between muzzle brakes.

Waist of my time, ammo, and money. It was pure hell, and I wasn't allowed to change spots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding.

Fuck that.

I'd have been in someone's ass for shit like that. Put the clowns that rock those ultra loud brakes next to each other down on their own side of the range. Better yet, don't allow them in the class.

I did a class a few years ago and had a dude with one of those Springfield M1A's that's shortened, has the massive brake, and a front sight post about six sizes too wide two positions down from me. It was still stupid loud and felt like someone was slapping me. Every time I felt him shoot, I'd look over to determine whether or not he fired his gun or had touched off a bomb.

Hopefully suppressors will alleviate that crap to a massive degree.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're kidding.

Fuck that.

I'd have been in someone's ass for shit like that. Put the clowns that rock those ultra loud brakes next to each other down on their own side of the range. Better yet, don't allow them in the class.

I did a class a few years ago and had a dude with one of those Springfield M1A's that's shortened, has the massive brake, and a front sight post about six sizes too wide two positions down from me. It was still stupid loud and felt like someone was slapping me. Every time I felt him shoot, I'd look over to determine whether or not he fired his gun or had touched off a bomb.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding.

Fuck that.

I didn't realize so many people had issues with brakes on rifles.  I've purposely ran next to people with brakes at classes to see how it felt and had no issues.  While I try to be as courteous as possible (my rifle is a 12.5" SBR with a Surefire brake) it's inevitable that it's going to get loud at a shooting range.  I've even shot next to someone who borrowed said SBR and had no problems with shooting the drills.

Maybe I'm just a masochist...
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I didn't realize so many people had issues with brakes on rifles.  I've purposely ran next to people with brakes at classes to see how it felt and had no issues.  While I try to be as courteous as possible (my rifle is a 12.5" SBR with a Surefire brake) it's inevitable that it's going to get loud at a shooting range.  I've even shot next to someone who borrowed said SBR and had no problems with shooting the drills.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding.

Fuck that.

Unless I'm in a class shooting urban prone and the guys brake is blowing dirt at me I don't mind.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#40]
The report of the brakes wasn't the issue, the muzzle blast was. I wore foam ear plugs under my electronic muffs.
Battle comp on the right, and a surefire on the left. I flinched every time one went off. So I waited for them to shot, and I get chastised for holding up the course of fire. Asked to be moved, said once we line up that's your assigned spot, for the next 3 days.

The next class I'll take will be if brakes are not allowed. I'm starting to see that more and more.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The report of the brakes wasn't the issue, the muzzle blast was. I wore foam ear plugs under my electronic muffs.
Battle comp on the right, and a surefire on the left. I flinched every time one went off. So I waited for them to shot, and I get chastised for holding up the course of fire. Asked to be moved, said once we line up that's your assigned spot, for the next 3 days.

The next class I'll take will be if brakes are not allowed. I'm starting to see that more and more.

View Quote

I understand what you're saying.  In my example above, I gave my 12.5" gun with Surefire to the shooter next to me for an extended drill and then altered my position in relation to the brake.  At one point, I was directly even with the brake and about 4 feet to the left and didn't have any problem.  I have taken a couple of classes where I've been next to some BattleComps, a Spike's Dynacomp, KAC Triple Tap and MAMS.  To me, it's just a chance to practice shooting through distractions.  

Or, again, I may just be a masochist with respect to muzzle concussion...
Page / 14
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top