Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 3/5/2015 11:55:13 AM EDT
There are new silencer bills in the House and Senate.  There are posts in the sticky above but these bills deserve their own thread.

Senate Bill

House Silencer Bill

The deadline for bills to be acted on in the house of origin is March 20th, the 27th for bills from the other house.  Committee Deadlines

It is important that anyone interested in silencers being legal for civilians in MN contact their legislator.
Find your legislator

Senate contact information

House of Representatives contact information

If you don't educate them on the benefits (hearing protection, less noise at shooting areas) and limitations (not actually make a gun silent) then you can count on the anti-gunners to do it for you.

The House silencer bill is going to the Public Safety and Crime Prevention Policy and Finance Committee first.
Committee link

The Senate version goes to the Judicairy Committee.
Committee Link

The Republicans control the Public Safety Committee while the DFL controls the Judiciary Committee.  Don’t let party affiliation convince you of how they will behave towards the bills.  They will be most influenced by what their constituents tell them.  Write a polite educational letter to them in a legal sized envelope and follow it up with an e-mail and phone call.  Once you get a reply it is usually best to continue with e-mail as it is much faster.  If they disagree with you, be polite and persistent.  If they don’t give a good reason why they are opposed to silencer ownership, press them for a reason, but always be polite and never make a claim you can’t prove.

Promote the idea that we are just trying to bring state law into line with federal law and that these types of REGISTERED firearms are very rarely associated with any violent crime, poaching included.

Randy
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a sample letter for the Senate bill.  Please do not copy/paste.  Change the bill number for writing to the House of Representatives.

Senator XXXXX,

I am writing to express my support for bill SF 1435.  This bill will bring MN law into line with federal law and allow Minnesota residents to purchase registered firearm suppressors.  As you may know the federal government has strictly controlled these devices since 1934 by requiring any individual buying them to pay a $200 tax and obtain BATFE authorization to possess them.  The person applying for the tax stamp must also obtain their local sheriff’s signature on the form and send it in along with their photographs and finger prints.  Federal law has very severe sentencing enhancements for criminals who commit crimes with suppressors.   Crime associated with suppressors is extremely rare in the United States as a whole.

I believe there is no good reason to continue to restrict civilian possession of suppressors to the law abiding residents in Minnesota.  While they can make a firearm significantly less noisy they are not capable of making them silent.  A typical suppressed firearm will still be at least 110-140 decibels.  While the short duration impulse noise does not seem harmful, hearing protect would still be required by the shooter for all but the most effectively suppressed and lower powered guns.

The main benefit of using a suppressor is hearing protection; for the shooter and those nearby who might not be wearing hearing protection or wearing it improperly.  Another benefit is the reduction of sound levels near shooting areas.  As people encroach upon formerly remote areas used by shooters, noise complaints increase.  The use of suppressors can reduce complaints and make a shooting range a better neighbor.

I feel that allowing suppressor ownership in Minnesota will not significantly aid poachers.  Typical hunting rifles with a suppressor attached can still be heard at long distances.  Any law banning suppressor possession is probably not a deterrent to criminals that poach wild game animals in our state.

Respectfully,

Your Name
View Quote

Only by writing lots of letters are we going to be able to convince the legislature that these bills deserve a chance.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to complain about semantics but this is a SUPPRESSOR bill.

Thanks for taking action on this!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Representative Bob Vogel (R) District 20A supports this legislation. I am waiting to hear back from Senator Kevin L. Dahle (DFL) District 20.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The legal name for these devices is silencer, not suppressor; this is a silencer bill.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#5]
First round of emails are sent.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Done! I thought there would be more interest here considering.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The legal name for these devices is silencer, not suppressor; this is a silencer bill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Sent!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Strangely yes, they are suppressors, but the legal term when doing paperwork for them is silencer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If anyone has legitimate references to suppressor statistics (crimes, murders committed, illegal game taken), it would be very valuable to post it here. I am receiving some responses:
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
"Dear Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to write me about this issue. I am so encouraged when people in my district take an active role in politics. Constituent input is vital for me to properly represent our community, and I appreciate you taking the time to express your support for the legalization of sound suppressors.

I am familiar with this issue, as it was brought forward in a previous legislative session when I served on the Senate Environment & Energy Committee. If I am given the chance this year, I would likely support the legalization of sound suppressors. However, it is important to know that this issue has been a difficult one in Minnesota due to the fear that allowing sound suppressors for hunting purposes would create enforcement issues for both the DNR and law enforcement.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
In the past, the DNR has opposed efforts to legalize sound suppressors over concern that the use of suppressors would limit DNR Conservation Officers' ability to enforce other hunting laws. For example, a hunter's ability to take game without making the traditional audible sound can encourage people to shoot prior to shooting hours, after shooting hours, sneak onto private posted property to take animals, hunt off season, and more easily hunt illegal game. In addition to DNR opposition, law enforcement agencies have also traditionally opposed this issue due to the fear that it could create a loop hole in criminal code by opening the door for sound suppressor owners to use the suppressors criminally.

The fact that 42 other states across the nation have legalized sound suppressors lends legitimacy to a pro-suppressor argument, but a battle for sound suppressor legalization will certainly not be an easy one in Minnesota due to the politics of our state. In response to your letter, I have reached out to the DNR about this issue to gauge their current attitude towards legalization, and they have indicated that their position has not changed.

Again, though I see this issue as unlikely to succeed in the current political environment, I am a likely to support it given the chance. Thank you, again, for writing me about this issue. I greatly value your input, and appreciate you contacting me about this issue. Please call or write anytime with your ideas and concerns.  I will always welcome your input and advice.  

Sincerely,
Senator John Pederson"
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Who the hell cares what they're called, lets get them legalized.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
FYI: https://www.defesa.org/dwp/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/silencers.pdf
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Messages sent.

Thank you to the OP for all the helpful links.

I didn't copy/past your letter but I did plagiarize quite a bit, again thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Done! I thought there would be more interest here considering.
View Quote

I'm a little surprised too
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FYI: https://www.defesa.org/dwp/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/silencers.pdf
View Quote

This link is one of the finest documents I've ever seen on the criminal use (lack thereof) silencers in the USA.  I referenced it in the silencer education video I made for MN residents and legislators.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDiLl6mPsuw

HF 1434 is scheduled for a hearing on Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:15 AM Room: 10 State Office Building

Details on speaking at committee hearings; FAQ

Randy

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:29:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the links OP, letter writing commencing now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I just spent a few hours emailing regarding several gun bills.  I hope many people send in their comments and support for the bills.  I hope suppressors are in our future!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#21]
It is very important that anyone who is able to show up at the Capital to speak at the hearing do so.  If the only people who show up are against the bill, it will fail.  You can be sure that if a person speaks out against the silencer bill they will use "facts" like it will increase poaching, crime will rise, they are for assassins, they make guns Hollywood quiet.  If you know a police officer, game warden or other state/county official who is willing to support the bill, bring them with.

Randy
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Emailed everyone.  Here is to hoping they listen with open ears..
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#23]
A family friend out your way got in contact with Rep Tim Miller. He is 100% in favor of repealing this for you guys.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A family friend out your way got in contact with Rep Tim Miller. He is 100% in favor of repealing this for you guys.
View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#25]
maybe i missed it in one of the links, when are the hearings?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#26]
"Ethan, I support the bill. Thx Denny"

Representative Denny McNamara
Chair House Environment & Natural Resources Policy & Finance
365 State Office Building
100 Rev.Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
St. Paul, Mn. 55155-1298
Phone (651) 296-3135
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:28:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Facebook Post By Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee
Friday March 6, 2015

NEXT WEEK: The first pro-gun bills will be heard in the Minnesota House Public Safety & Crime Prevention Committee on March 12th at 10:15am in Room 10 of the State Office Building in Saint Paul.
Over the past few months, we've been working hard with our friends at the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance (GOCRA) to advance our Joint 2015 Legislative Strategy to protect, restore, and advance your Second Amendment rights in Minnesota.
HF1434 - by Representative Mark Anderson would legalize suppressors for use by law-abiding citizens for all lawful purposes.
HF372 - by Representative Jim Nash would remove the obsolete notification requirement for Permit to Carry holders who enter any Capitol area state building.
HF830 - by Representative Eric Lucero would, after 29 years, update Minnesota law to make it clear that Minnesotans are allowed by purchase long guns in other states.
In addition, the committee will hear Representative Dan Fabian's HF305, which would add recognition of North Dakota carry permits in Minnesota.
We hope you can join us there!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Also posted on the first page; here they are again.

HF 1434 is scheduled for a hearing on Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:15 AM Room: 10 State Office Building

Details on speaking at committee hearings; FAQ

You can also watch committee action live and archival footage here; Link

Randy
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Rep. Daniels says he supports the bill.

Haven't heard back from Sen. Jensen.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#30]
probably a dumb question but if the proposed bills pass would they become legal that same day or how does that work?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friday March 6, 2015

NEXT WEEK: The first pro-gun bills will be heard in the Minnesota House Public Safety & Crime Prevention Committee on March 12th at 10:15am in Room 10 of the State Office Building in Saint Paul.
Over the past few months, we've been working hard with our friends at the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance (GOCRA) to advance our Joint 2015 Legislative Strategy to protect, restore, and advance your Second Amendment rights in Minnesota.
HF1434 - by Representative Mark Anderson would legalize suppressors for use by law-abiding citizens for all lawful purposes.
HF372 - by Representative Jim Nash would remove the obsolete notification requirement for Permit to Carry holders who enter any Capitol area state building.
HF830 - by Representative Eric Lucero would, after 29 years, update Minnesota law to make it clear that Minnesotans are allowed by purchase long guns in other states.
In addition, the committee will hear Representative Dan Fabian's HF305, which would add recognition of North Dakota carry permits in Minnesota.

Thanks, hopefully i can get off work for it.
anyone else planning on going?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
probably a dumb question but if the proposed bills pass would they become legal that same day or how does that work?
View Quote

Not dumb at all. Depends on the bill. The authors usually include a start date. There may be a standard, say August 1. But I know of several bills that became law on Jan. 1, Jul. 1, and even sometimes the day it's signed by the guv.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not dumb at all. Depends on the bill. The authors usually include a start date. There may be a standard, say August 1. But I know of several bills that became law on Jan. 1, Jul. 1, and even sometimes the day it's signed by the guv.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, really just wondering if it were to pass with say an April start date if it would be okay to submit a form 1 on the 12th since the ATF's wait time will be a month + anyway.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#34]
How a Bill Becomes Law in MN
Most new laws go into effect on Aug. 1 following a legislative session unless a bill specifies another date. Exceptions are bills that contain an appropriation, which become effective July 1, the same date the fiscal year begins.
View Quote

Looks like August is it.  I heard of people submitting ATF forms right after a bill was signed and hoping the examiner would not look at it until the effective date passed.  I waited until the effective date in WA as the e-filed forms only took three weeks to be approved.

Randy
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Unfortunately, Dayton will most likely not sign it because too many DFL'ers will tell him not to sign it. He's not a very independent thinker from what I have seen. Still though, if there are enough blue dogs that support it, it may have a chance. I'd say the people that we need most to contact and urge to sign are the moderate D's.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Looks like August is it.  I heard of people submitting ATF forms right after a bill was signed and hoping the examiner would not look at it until the effective date passed.  I waited until the effective date in WA as the e-filed forms only took three weeks to be approved.

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Most new laws go into effect on Aug. 1 following a legislative session unless a bill specifies another date. Exceptions are bills that contain an appropriation, which become effective July 1, the same date the fiscal year begins.

Randy

Just in time for 41P to screw half of us in this state from being able to take advantage of it. (if it were to pass)
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, Dayton will most likely not sign it because too many DFL'ers will tell him not to sign it. He's not a very independent thinker from what I have seen. Still though, if there are enough blue dogs that support it, it may have a chance. I'd say the people that we need most to contact and urge to sign are the moderate D's.
View Quote

Which legislators have actually come out in print or a letter/e-mail to oppose civilian silencer ownership in MN?  In WA back in 2011 it was a non-issue for the most part.  In fact it was such a "nothing" bill that the anti-gun groups did not oppose it at all.

Randy
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friday March 6, 2015

I wanted to be there for this but I am scheduled to be out west in South Dakota for work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Sen.Kevin Dahle

sbl23,

I have heard from several people living in our district about SF 1435. I certainly understand your concerns.  I will look into this bill and talk to my senate colleagues in order to hear arguments on both sides and make an informed decision in the event that this bill is heard on the floor.

I certainly appreciate your input on these and other issues. Your thoughts are always welcome. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Regards,
Sen.Kevin Dahle
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Emails sent to the committees.  Sending to my reps next.  Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I hope this passes in Minnesota, so I can bring my cans along when I come to visit the grandkids.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I hope this passes in Minnesota, so I can bring my cans along when I come to visit the grandkids.
View Quote

I hope this passes so I can stop storing mine out of state. Moved here 2 years ago and only get to shoot suppressed when I go back home.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I plan to attend the hearing tomorrow.  (should be interesting, I've never attended one before)

I've emailed each member of both committees (house and senate) to advocate for support on these bills.  So far I've heard nothing but support, which is great but many have still not responded.

Supporters I've heard from include:
Rep Jeff Howe, 13A
Rep. Brian Johnson, 32A
Rep. Jim Newberger, 12B

GOCRA has some good notes for anyone wanting to educate legislators on their website:  
http://www.gocra.org/news/2015/03/suppressor-capitol-carry-hearings-scheduled-for-next-week/
http://www.gocra.org/news/2015/03/gocra-briefing-sound-suppressors-mufflers-for-firearms/

Please, don't sit on the bench and 'see what happens' here.  If you've ever had a sigh of disappointment at not being able to shoot suppressed because you live in MN, this is your time to take action and make a difference.  Getting engaged and becoming active is the only way it will happen so let's all do our part.

Worried that you aren't a politician, lobbyist, or activist?  Getting involved can many things including:
-  Call or write an email to your local rep  (after all, they work for YOU!)
-  Call or email other legislators on the committee (here's the list of all of them with their contact info - http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/comm/committeemembers.asp?comm=89019)
-  Come to the hearings, even if you don't say anything, stand with others and show that this bill matters

And of course, as you're doing these things be polite, genuine, and to the point.  :)

Hope to see you all there at tomorrow's hearing!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Which legislators have actually come out in print or a letter/e-mail to oppose civilian silencer ownership in MN?  In WA back in 2011 it was a non-issue for the most part.  In fact it was such a "nothing" bill that the anti-gun groups did not oppose it at all.

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

Unfortunately our DNR is dead set against it.  They are of the opinion that if they were legal every deer in the state would be dead before the next deer season.  They believe it will encourage poaching, trespassing and other illegal activities.  That gives Dayton the easy out of saying because of DNR recommendations he will not sign it.  I believe that if the Minnesota DNR had the authority they would ban guns from us lowly civilians.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#45]
We have the same problem with our DNR in Michigan allowing us to hunt with suppressors. (Suppressor ownership is legal here in Michigan)

Duh, why would I spend several hundred dollars to just be able to poach dear, when I can purchase the best deer poaching weapon
in the world. A crossbow. Plus they are legal to use to hunt deer here, just during normal hunting hours. The things make NO noise.

Conservation Offers can't hear them, but they can hear a gun shot of a suppressed firearm. Their excuse is liberal BS

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#48]
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/htv/htv.asp
House & Senate Broadcast Television Schedule - a list of upcoming events

Thursday, Mar. 12, 2015

Agenda:
HF372 (Nash) Notice of possession of firearms at the Capitol complex requirement amended.
HF830 (Lucero) Federal Gun Control Act; firearm sale and purchase permitted in any state where lawful under the act.
HF1434 (Anderson) Suppressor possession and use prohibition repealed, chief law enforcement officers required to complete federal certifications relating to suppressors in a timely manner, and appeal process for denial of certification provided.
View Quote

Tune in at 1100 for the broadcast online.  Looking forward to any info from those that are at the hearing.  :)

Randy

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#49]
dang will be in a meeting at 11... hopefully someone can post up as I will have internet access just cant watch the stream!
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We have the same problem with our DNR in Michigan allowing us to hunt with suppressors. (Suppressor ownership is legal here in Michigan)

Duh, why would I spend several hundred dollars to just be able to poach dear, when I can purchase the best deer poaching weapon
in the world. A crossbow. Plus they are legal to use to hunt deer here, just during normal hunting hours. The things make NO noise.

Conservation Offers can't hear them, but they can hear a gun shot of a suppressed firearm. Their excuse is liberal BS

View Quote

I have a crossbow.  It makes more noise than a standard compound bow.  They are legal for deer hunting in MN for certain groups.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top