Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2015 10:49:15 AM EDT
Anyone running into more delays when picking up new purchases?

I have been delayed since friday so far on a lower receiver.   Was delayed a couple hours several months ago on a shotgun.   Before then, no delay.  Have a clean record etc...    Do they have a deadline to approve?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Happens all the time. Most of the time, NICS will give the FFL an answer somewhere between the moment you left the FFL's business, and 2 weeks.

I haven't worked behind a gun counter in awhile, so I may be wrong on the following.

They have 30 days to deny or proceed. If the FFL receive nothing from NICS, they may let you pick up and pay for your firearm.

Most places will wait until NICS says denied or proceed. That means having to fill out another 4473 and have them do another background check after 30 days from your "delayed" response.

ETA: The 30 day thing is most likely the store I worked at. I remember reading something about a 3-day window, but I am too lazy to look up the regs.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have been delayed since friday so far on a lower receiver.   Was delayed a couple hours several months ago on a shotgun.   Before then, no delay.  Have a clean record etc...    Do they have a deadline to approve?
View Quote

Deadline?...that sounds like a customer service issue.  Customer service?...oh wait...it's the government.

But truthfully I haven't seen or heard of anything like this recently.  I bought a gun last week and one this week...no delay...done on the phone in my presence.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

The shop may legally transfer the firearm to you after 3 business days if NICS has not given a follow up to deny the purchase.  However, many shops will not do this and will insist on receiving the proceed from NICS.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone will be along shortly to correct me but I think it's something like 3 or 5 business days.  If they don't hear back in that time it's a proceed.

I used to get delayed when I first moved here from VA but now I just get further reviewed and proceed in less than 5 minutes.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks, the guy at the gun shop wears these monster magnified flip up glasses to input the data.  I kinda cringed, hopefully he input the info correctly.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The shop may legally transfer the firearm to you after 3 business days if NICS has not given a follow up to deny the purchase.  However, many shops will not do this and will insist on receiving the proceed from NICS.
View Quote

^
This has happend a couple times and on 3rd day was able to pick them up while still on delay from NICS. I guess it depends on the shop.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks, i'll check w/ the shop today.   He did say delays suck and he'd like to get this thing out of here.  haha
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

^
This has happend a couple times and on 3rd day was able to pick them up while still on delay from NICS. I guess it depends on the shop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^

It does depend on the shop.  I worked the gun counter at a big box store and store policy was to not transfer without a proceed.  I've seen smaller gun shops do it both ways.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
i just called and they said i was good to go.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i just called and they said i was good to go.
View Quote

This is what I expected.  Kind of on the same track as "NICS called back as soon as your car was out of the parking lot."  There are a few issues about how NICS is funded and run that make it less efficient at times, and an input late in the day on Friday before a Monday Federal holiday is one that's just pretty obvious to me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
thanks, the guy at the gun shop wears these monster magnified flip up glasses to input the data.  I kinda cringed, hopefully he input the info correctly.

http://thumb9.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/426613/165146996/stock-photo-quality-inspector-wearing-magnifying-glasses-inspecting-a-small-manufactured-part-165146996.jpg
View Quote

Sounds like Burnsville Pistol Range.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://thumb9.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/426613/165146996/stock-photo-quality-inspector-wearing-magnifying-glasses-inspecting-a-small-manufactured-part-165146996.jpg

Was just about to post that.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe you now have some shit-head with a similar name or alias popping up on your NICS check with warrants or felonies or some other thing.  Basically my understanding of a delay is that they may have a record that would deny but their not sure, so it is flagged for a further look to make sure.  When your run a NCIC query and you run someone they may come up with a warrant or other entry.  Most of the entries have a score, the score is the percentage that the hit pertains to the person ran.  All it would take is for some dickhead to use a name similar to yours/or your name and get arrested, then that will become part of his file and as such could come up under your name.  Another good reason to have an obscure or uncommon name.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Its 3 business days after the initial check.  Usually the examiner will give you a date on when the firearm can be transferred if there is no call back.  I will wait for the day after and call the customer and tell them they are good.  I am well within being legal at that point.   I think the E-check gives a date as well, but I have only had two delays with E-check.  Most go through right away.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe you now have some shit-head with a similar name or alias popping up on your NICS check with warrants or felonies or some other thing.  Basically my understanding of a delay is that they may have a record that would deny but their not sure, so it is flagged for a further look to make sure.  When your run a NCIC query and you run someone they may come up with a warrant or other entry.  Most of the entries have a score, the score is the percentage that the hit pertains to the person ran.  All it would take is for some dickhead to use a name similar to yours/or your name and get arrested, then that will become part of his file and as such could come up under your name.  Another good reason to have an obscure or uncommon name.
View Quote

This could be the problem a number of people have.  Similar names are one thing, but THE SAME name can happen too.  That space on the form for you SSN?  USE IT!  This is exactly why it's there.

My son got a mailed notice from the city attorney in a town he'd never been to about a citation for driving without a license.  Turns out the city attorney's office only used the name of the person on the citation but not any other identifying info - they just used the address of the first person with that name they found.  We didn't have any clue that there was another person in Texas with the same name that we gave our son...  The citation included the person's date of birth, which was years off from my son's, but the city attorney didn't bother with that.  My son went to the local police and they contacted the other city, clearing up the issue, but they gave him a two-page summary of the issue to keep in his car in case he got pulled over and the other person still had any outstanding warrants.  NICS depends on local inputs being right, and this is a problem when local law enforcement doesn't have time and staffing, or just bother to make sure their entries are both accurate and complete.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I get held about every 4th or 5th gun I buy, it seems.  I always get to pick them after 3 days.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I have only had an instant proceede a couple times. Last FFL said it could be a weekend "C" squad that sees any little thing that makes them second guess and they delay until the pros get there on Monday.

He said he sees most delays on weekends.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been delayed twice. But only at Gander for pretty nonchalant purchases.

I'm guessing it just happens as a freak occurrence though
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have only had an instant proceede a couple times. Last FFL said it could be a weekend "C" squad that sees any little thing that makes them second guess and they delay until the pros get there on Monday.

He said he sees most delays on weekends.
View Quote

I think it's more a question of lower staffing (or less staffing than might be needed) on weekends.  As I understand it, the computer pops up "this applicant" and "flags", which the humans are supposed to evaluate.  Now being a person who actually goes to gun shows and such, I would expect that NICS would be a bit busier on weekends than mid-week, so I personally would staff accordingly, but as in many things, "they didn't ask my opinion."  
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This could be the problem a number of people have.  Similar names are one thing, but THE SAME name can happen too.  That space on the form for you SSN?  USE IT!  This is exactly why it's there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always put down my SS# and have never experienced a delay. Just my luck on the next one i'll have a 4 day wait.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've always put down my SS# and have never experienced a delay. Just my luck on the next one i'll have a 4 day wait.
View Quote

I don't put my SS in and have never been delayed. Knocking on wood.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:19:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I always get get delayed.

Last time I filled in the ssn and was still delayed.

First world problems I guess.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a common name and never provide my SSN. Never been delayed. Some guys have all the luck, I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top