Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:36:17 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a membership here. I read the thread from two and a half years ago that had mixed reviews. Any current info from the HTF? I'm mostly interested in the rifle and handgun ranges but I do occasionally shoot trap.

ETA: I'm a current OGC member but am ready for a change.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I live a few minutes away but it's way too expensive for me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I'm not excited about the cost but I'm not excited about 18 hours of range duty either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Tis all relative.....some clubs you have mandatory work hours.  Some places  your can buy out of the hours, and others there is no buy out.  Then factor in transportation costs and your time?  Outwardly might be expensive?  But, perhaps not?  Do not be quick to judge it is too expensive.

The bad thing....is the rifle range sort of over laps on access to hunting grounds...almost need two people when  using rifle range.  One to spot for people transiting from one area to another.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The bad thing....is the rifle range sort of over laps on access to hunting grounds...almost need two people when  using rifle range.  One to spot for people transiting from one area to another.
View Quote

That is a bad thing. I almost always shoot by myself.

Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm not excited about the cost but I'm not excited about 18 hours of range duty either.
View Quote

So do something other than range duty to fulfill your hours?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been a member for 3 years now.  It's a good range and they let you get away with more than most other ranges as far as shooting fruit, water bottles, clays, steel, etc.  The cost is a little hard to stomach but for me it's worth it just in the money I save on gas as my next best option would be caribou in Le Seur, and I like to shoot often when the weather is nice.  The best thing is guests shoot for free on the rifle and pistol ranges for up to 10 guests.  I have a lot of buddies who come out there with me and because they are good dudes they occasionally throw me 10-20 bucks so that helps me with the membership costs.  

They have one pistol range which is probably about a 10 yard range with plenty of lanes.  A 200 yard rifle range which is the one they mention that shares an access road with some of the land hunters use.  Most of them are smart enough to honk and wait when they are going to and from, but it never hurts to keep an eye out.  The berms are set up 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards.  They also have a small 100 yard range with one berm.  This is our favorite range as you generally should have it to yourself.  We like to set up the steel and have little competitions with each other so this range is perfect for that.  Or if you just want the range to yourself or only your group without having to wait for others to check your targets etc.  There's 5 sporting clay courses there and with a membership you get like 6 bucks off so its $18 instead of $24ish.

I've never had any issues with the people who run it they're all good people who seem easy to get along with.  They do seem to put more money towards the clays and hunters which was a little frustrating after the hike in price but they have been slowly improving the ranges over the last year since the fire.  My biggest gripe is when they have clay events they tend to shut down the ranges which can be annoying if your time is limited and something happens to be going on when you want to shoot, but you can always call ahead and find out.

If you have any other questions ask away, like I said it is expensive but for me the 10 minute drive, and the fact I can bring my steel and friends out there for free makes it worth it.  Call out there and ask for Eric, he'll give you a tour of the grounds and might even let you do a little shooting if they're not busy.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've been a member for 3 years now.  It's a good range and they let you get away with more than most other ranges as far as shooting fruit, water bottles, clays, steel, etc.  The cost is a little hard to stomach but for me it's worth it just in the money I save on gas as my next best option would be caribou in Le Seur, and I like to shoot often when the weather is nice.  The best thing is guests shoot for free on the rifle and pistol ranges for up to 10 guests.  I have a lot of buddies who come out there with me and because they are good dudes they occasionally throw me 10-20 bucks so that helps me with the membership costs.  

View Quote

They have one pistol range which is probably about a 10 yard range with plenty of lanes.  A 200 yard rifle range which is the one they mention that shares an access road with some of the land hunters use.  Most of them are smart enough to honk and wait when they are going to and from, but it never hurts to keep an eye out.  The berms are set up 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards.  They also have a small 100 yard range with one berm.  This is our favorite range as you generally should have it to yourself.  We like to set up the steel and have little competitions with each other so this range is perfect for that.  Or if you just want the range to yourself or only your group without having to wait for others to check your targets etc.  There's 5 sporting clay courses there and with a membership you get like 6 bucks off so its $18 instead of $24ish.

I've never had any issues with the people who run it they're all good people who seem easy to get along with.  They do seem to put more money towards the clays and hunters which was a little frustrating after the hike in price but they have been slowly improving the ranges over the last year since the fire.  My biggest gripe is when they have clay events they tend to shut down the ranges which can be annoying if your time is limited and something happens to be going on when you want to shoot, but you can always call ahead and find out.

If you have any other questions ask away, like I said it is expensive but for me the 10 minute drive, and the fact I can bring my steel and friends out there for free makes it worth it.  Call out there and ask for Eric, he'll give you a tour of the grounds and might even let you do a little shooting if they're not busy.

Awesome. Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the key thing to me.  I have had a membership for about 6 months just because of the fact it was gifted to me.  For $500 a year you would expect better ranges.  They are pretty bad for the most part.  Clays and hunting is their focus and they don't give a shit about the rifle and pistol ranges.  I would need a large amount off the membership for me to renew in July.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:15:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would make an assload of money if they allowed people to buy out of one day.

Realistically they have way too many ROs anyway.  I would never want to shoot during public hours with 8 people all staring at me.  

There is plenty of stuff to do though.  Its still worth it.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is the key thing to me.  I have had a membership for about 6 months just because of the fact it was gifted to me.  For $500 a year you would expect better ranges.  They are pretty bad for the most part.  Clays and hunting is their focus and they don't give a shit about the rifle and pistol ranges.  I would need a large amount off the membership for me to renew in July.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:17:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They would make an assload of money if they allowed people to buy out of one day.

Realistically they have way too many ROs anyway.  I would never want to shoot during public hours with 8 people all staring at me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would totally buy out one day.

What other stuff is there to do? I get emails to work at shows and stuff but it's usually too short notice.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
  What other stuff is there to do? I get emails to work at shows and stuff but it's usually too short notice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know some people have gotten theirs in with things like lawn mowing, sorting brass, hanging new chicken wire on the ranges and other maintence type stuff.
Otherwise there is also the gun shows and county fairs.

Give them a call, they are always looking for folk to do stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure they are allowing people to do that, though it's technically on a "penalty" basis when renewal comes up.  It's not something they offer ahead of time, AFAIK.  There was something in the most recent newsletter about it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know some people have gotten theirs in with things like lawn mowing, sorting brass, hanging new chicken wire on the ranges and other maintence type stuff.

View Quote

Or, y'know, teach hunters ed like we do
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:50:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Pretty sure they are allowing people to do that, though it's technically on a "penalty" basis when renewal comes up.  It's not something they offer ahead of time, AFAIK.  There was something in the most recent newsletter about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you have to pay the penalty and make the day up the next year iirc.

ETA: I'll have to check out the latest news letter. I did send my renewal in.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top