Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 10:58:16 PM EDT
I have a family member moving back to MN from FL,  he has gotten a couple FA firearms and a few suppressors and we are trying to figure out a way to keep them.  We have read that he can keep them at a residence in WI as long as no one else has access to them that is not a trustee.  We have also read that a wi dealer could store them.  Like I said this is just what we have read so far and will be checked with a call to the ATF.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
What was suggested to me is keep them in a safety deposit box in the state they are registered in.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That is beginning to look like the only option.  Who told you this?  He is still waiting to hear back from the ATF.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It is against the law to keep firearms in a safety deposit box as far as I know.  The suppressors may be a different story though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is against the law to keep firearms in a safety deposit box as far as I know.  The suppressors may be a different story though.
View Quote

BINGO!!!

It is against the bank policy at Wells, USBank, BoA, Chase, and many others, to store any firearms or ammo or explosives in the deposit boxes.

Also be aware, storing them in a safety deposit box is no guarantee that they will not be safe.
linky...

And if there is ever a branch office closure, those contents will most likely be removed and placed into another box. Any contraband or weapons will be confiscated.

Your best bet is to talk with an NFA dealer and NFA lawyer to see what options you have.

Or, move to WI instead of MN and avoid MN laws.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
This was right from the ATF agent that did my last audit.  I'm sure you guys know how to treat that info.  I am just repeating what I was told.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Suppression devices wrapped and sealed to where nobody knows what it is would not trigger any issues. I'm guessing....

But check with the branch office that the bank deposit box has for rules.

ATF is notorious for contradicting itself and giving bad info over the phone.
The only one who can tell you for sure is the branch officer for the bank.

Nfa weapons are a whole different issue... I still think a trust is the best route and then put them into it and move them to a location where the trust is recognized with the items.

Nfa trusts in MN are worthless if the items include any prohibited items. Two attorneys spoke out about this a while back on Armed America Radio.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BINGO!!!

It is against the bank policy at Wells, USBank, BoA, Chase, and many others, to store any firearms or ammo or explosives in the deposit boxes.

Also be aware, storing them in a safety deposit box is no guarantee that they will not be safe.

linky...

And if there is ever a branch office closure, those contents will most likely be removed and placed into another box. Any contraband or weapons will be confiscated.

Your best bet is to talk with an NFA dealer and NFA lawyer to see what options you have.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BINGO!!!

linky...

you could try a small local bank, they might be more friendly. You can also keep them in a case, then put the case in the box its not like they are going to audit your box's contnents

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top