Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2014 7:35:17 AM EDT
We're looking to take a mini vacation in August.  We'll be starting out from either Forest Lake or Pierz, MN.

Family of five--mom and dad early 40's, kids aged 3-5-7.  "The Magnums"!

We're into museums, pan fishing, and walks.  We could do camping but I'd rather rent a cabin.  Open to either.

We're not real outdoorsy but working on it. Practically NO canoeing/boating XP. None of us likes dealing with biting insects.  We live on five acres so "The Woods" would have to be fairly different to be appealing. (I have a small wood lot).

We're going to be in Pierz, Mn for a family reunion on a Sunday, then we will either stay in little falls an overnight or two  OR drive home and then go to the North Shore for an overnight or two starting the next day.

Of course, we budget so finances are a consideration.

I'm not going to want to drive from Pierz to the North shore Sunday night, so would need to do a stayover (split the trip from Pierz to north shore) somewhere.

I could use some help with ideas.  I have not travelled much in the state, nor has my wife (She's from AZ).
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the north shore. Tons of hiking, great waterfalls and scenery.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
North shore is awesome for scenery. Doesn't cost allot. Heck, get a nice hotel to relax after site seeing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a bunch of research today and were going to skip LF as the Lindbergh museum isn't open on Monday.
So instead were going to leave the reunion early and stay over at a cabin in banning state park, then stay in Duluth a day and night, then try to get a reasonable cabin on Lake Superior the last day/night and explore the north shore.

EDIT: now two night stay in Duluth.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
We go to the North Shore quite a bit.  Be sure to check out the shipping times on the Duluth Boats website.  I'm sure the kids would like to see some of the big ships go by up close.  

Keep an eye on specials for lodging at some of the resorts up the shore.  They will often have weekday specials that come close to a night at a hotel in Duluth.  We have stayed at Larsmont Cottages and Superior Shores and liked both.  The Edgewater Waterpark wasn't bad either and some rooms overlook Superior.  It's less than a 3 hour drive from Pierz to Two Harbors and only 2.5 hours to Duluth and may be worth it just to do it in one shot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go to the north shore.Goosebery falls,Grand Marais,Split rock light house,canal park and if the big boats are around it is
really fun for the kids.We've taken the boat tour out of superior which worked out great 1 summer with all the sailboats around.
We usually stay in two harbors.You can go north for another 1-2 hours or go south back to Duluth to check out the sights
and activities.Guess I'm partial to the north shore.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
North shore it is.
I'm having a difficult time finding affordable cabins of any type for our sun-wed early august adventure.  All booked up!
I'll try the above links yet, thanks for them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd go to the north shore.Goosebery falls,Grand Marais,Split rock light house,canal park and if the big boats are around it is
really fun for the kids.We've taken the boat tour out of superior which worked out great 1 summer with all the sailboats around.
We usually stay in two harbors.You can go north for another 1-2 hours or go south back to Duluth to check out the sights
View Quote

Any more info on the boat tour so it can look it up?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what tour hes talking about that is out of Superior, but this one is a pretty cool boat tour to do if you have the time. Vista Fleet tours

Then there is also a tour of an ore boat that is very near to the boarding area of the vista fleet tours, that boat is called the William A Irvin.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#9]
There is vista and 1 more that we were on that was More
Of an open style boat versus the vista ferry type .could be wrong on
My cities but they were very interesting and worth the $.with young kids
The vista line would be worry free and you can stay inside
And look out or go out on deck
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Hows the Railroad trip?  Youu can bundle the boat, RR, train museum, and aquarium as a pass and it's less than half price--for our fam of five it would be $136 for all 4 but $218 for them all purchased individually.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd do the bundle and that would take care of 1 whole day in Duluth and then back to a hotel
to swim and relax and explore the next day or save it for your last day and head home from
Duluth,haven't done the train.I Guess I would call gooseberry falls park and ask them how the falls  and hiking trails are
in the area.I've never been there when we've had this much rain.Should still be a good sight and the water
is probably ripping thru there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
We were in GB falls two weeks ago and it was fine--you could still cross the waterways on foot and get to the island, and all bridges/trails were easily passable.

So, we're doing the pass and just trying to decide where to stay.  Most nice places are way too much money and we probably won't have time for the edge waterpark listed above (packages are already sold out on our date anyways).
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:00:08 AM EDT
[#13]
try Dodges Log Lodges.... its most likely booked but its my favorite place to stay next to larsmont/grand superior lodge
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah dodges lodges was booked.
So the finalized plans are: banning state park primitive camper cabin; rental home on Lake Superior near two harbors for two nights; vista fleet boat one day; train ride and museum another day; aquarium another day; and a quick stop at gooseberry or split rock with final night on tettagouche at the ilgen falls cabin.

I had to extend my vacation on day.

I also bought a pop up camper as this camping stuff seems OK and the children like it.  But that's not going on this trip as  I need to do some upgrades to my tow vehicle before long trips.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like you have things coverd, I'm not sure how far N your heading up the shoar, but the kids may thinks this is cool..

Devils Kettle

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the tip on Devils Kettle.

The Sudan mine, albeit not the north shore, is also another Minnesota cool spot that's not well known.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm planning on hitting the soudan mine over winter.  Just have to confirm its open while the snow flies.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#18]
So, what other family stuff is there on the North shore over winter (besides skiing or snowshoeing)?  Is it worth a trip up there in the winter?

Soudan mine is closed--in fact, all the mines and caves I know about close over the winter.  they said they don't get enough visitors after October to make it worthwhile (at mystery cave).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top