Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2012 4:35:03 PM EDT
I've been meat hunting various game for quite a few years and have always taken the "if you don't eat it, don't shoot it" approach. Well, for reasons I can't explain I want to go shoot some coyotes. Don't want to eat them for sure and not terribly interested in pelts. It just sounds like a fun challenge. I have access to potentially good private land near New Ulm and Sleepy Eye with the in-laws but don't know exactly how to approach it. Its easy to find internet posts about how shy MN yotes can be with calling. I'm not interested in running them with dogs or chasing them with something motorized and just want to stand hunt. Anyone willing to offer some tips to a newbie?
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't want to eat them for sure and not terribly interested in pelts. It just sounds like a fun challenge.

This information along with OP's post count =
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 3:30:32 AM EDT
[#3]
When you boil their skulls it smells like stew. Lots of minny guys on the predator masters forum.
Like any other hunting, play the wind, look for sign, and approach your the area you plan to call as quietly as you can.
Mouth calls do work, but electronics give you more sounds. Try, and fail, and you'll get better at it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't want to eat them for sure and not terribly interested in pelts. It just sounds like a fun challenge.

Why the confusion?
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why the confusion?

Possible anti-hunting activist that's posting that he's killing animals for fun, not food or even the furs in order to defame arfcom?

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I am not an anti-hunting activist. My post count is basically zero because I have not been active on the site for so long it got reset. I support gun rights and hunting rights for all!!! Predator hunting sounds like a fun, difficult challenge. I will be out trying this winter and am just looking for some advice to shorten the learning curve. I guess a low post count can seem suspicious but virtually everyone here was zero at some point. If I need a character reference ask rgrprib, we've been friends for years.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Hunting coyotes for fun is all the reason you need to shoot one. It's most excellent fun to have one come to the call, land permission is easier than any other type of hunting, and it extends your season to 365 days. You might get a nice one someday you'll want to have tanned, but take my advice and try to talk somebody else into doing it for you. They are some stinky SOBs.

As far as the folks that feel you should only shoot what you can eat, I hope they hold to their beliefs when they find themselves in the middle of a zombie infestation.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#8]
As soon as I call I get buck fever. I had one show up before I even got the call back in my coat. I've had lots of dry sets too.
Lots of guys take them to a furrier, and drop them off whole/in the round. Don't know how much they get for them, but probably pays for the gas.
It's a good time, but a partner is key, and more fun IMO.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am not an anti-hunting activist. My post count is basically zero because I have not been active on the site for so long it got reset. I support gun rights and hunting rights for all!!! Predator hunting sounds like a fun, difficult challenge. I will be out trying this winter and am just looking for some advice to shorten the learning curve. I guess a low post count can seem suspicious but virtually everyone here was zero at some point. If I need a character reference ask rgrprib, we've been friends for years.

I belive you man, just saying it's a little suspicious. Rock on and do your thing!
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Terminate with extreme prejudice and shoot to kill... I am not one to mince words when it comes to things like yotes.

I've had two deer seasons ruined by them and none of them deserve mercy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top