Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2012 12:59:23 PM EDT
I heard from someone that you could have a fixed blade knife on your person if it's not over a certain length or considered a fighting knife.

I'm having a hard time finding the actual law. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if this knife would be legal in the state of MN to carry or if having .mil on it disqualifies it. Thanks.

If I'm carrying a knife that's legal in the state of MN, but illegal in a city, can they charge me with any more than a misdemeanor?

http://www.knifeworks.com/ratcutleryrc-3milwjump-proofmollesheathsystemplainedge.aspx

ETA: I've spent the past hour googling and from what I've read, the law is pretty vague, for the most part, if it's not designed as a weapon, you're GTG.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool knife.  I would carry it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cool knife.  I would carry it.

Is there any greater compliment? Thank you. I've read everything that comes up in the first 10 google hits, and I'm just going to go with it. If I'm ever unfortunate enough to be in a position where a cop is questioning my 3 and 3/8 fixed blade knife as a weapon, I'll argue that, no, my pistol is a weapon, the knife is a tool. LOL.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Is there any greater compliment? Thank you. I've read everything that comes up in the first 10 google hits, and I'm just going to go with it. If I'm ever unfortunate enough to be in a position where a cop is questioning my 3 and 3/8 fixed blade knife as a weapon, I'll argue that, no, my pistol is a weapon, the knife is a tool. LOL.

[/quote]

The pistol/rifle/thunderbang is still just a tool; you're mindset is THE weapon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The only mention of knives in state statute is the prohibition on automatic opening knives and that under 609.66.  Keep in mind this opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only mention of knives in state statute is the prohibition on automatic opening knives and that under 609.66.  Keep in mind this opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

I thought you were a cop.  Does that mean that if you bust someone for that statute, they could come find this post, bring it to court, and tell them that you said, "Well, that's just my opinion, man"?

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 4:05:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you were a cop.  Does that mean that if you bust someone for that statute, they could come find this post, bring it to court, and tell them that you said, "Well, that's just my opinion, man"?

Merely a disclaimer my good man.  Far too many laws for somebody to be fully versed on every single one.  In the event I missed one, or some local jurisdiction has their own city ordinance stating something different, I covered the bases.

And just for the record, banning auto openers is stupid and I might find a more creative way of handling it than burdening an already flooded system with another defendant.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I was told, by a LEO, that the state does not address carrying a fixed blade but Hennepin and Anoka counties do prohibit it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was told, by a LEO, that the state does not address carrying a fixed blade but Hennepin and Anoka counties do prohibit it.

Hmm... I wonder how they have it written. I couldn't find the statute in my meager search, but, I am curious if it has to do with length or location?

For folders, I know of several contractors who have a leatherman/iPhone leather on their belts.

Personally, the idea of carrying a fixed blade in public is asking for other to "look at me" and draw attention. But, to each their own.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm... I wonder how they have it written. I couldn't find the statute in my meager search, but, I am curious if it has to do with length or location?

For folders, I know of several contractors who have a leatherman/iPhone leather on their belts.

Personally, the idea of carrying a fixed blade in public is asking for other to "look at me" and draw attention. But, to each their own.

When people see the .44 magnum on my hip, they won't even notice the blade.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#10]
My folder has MSPTA written on the side of it, which stands for Minnesota State Patrol Trooper Association.

So, if I ever get detained by LEOs I just pull that knife out and deploy the blade just as fast as I can to show them I am a good guy!  Alternatively, I will scream out "I've got a gun!" and draw it just as fast as I can to show them that I am a legal CCW permit holder and that I am well practiced in deploying my pistol.  That way, again, they know I am obviously a good guy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My folder has MSPTA written on the side of it, which stands for Minnesota State Patrol Trooper Association.

So, if I ever get detained by LEOs I just pull that knife out and deploy the blade just as fast as I can to show them I am a good guy!  Alternatively, I will scream out "I've got a gun!" and draw it just as fast as I can to show them that I am a legal CCW permit holder and that I am well practiced in deploying my pistol.  That way, again, they know I am obviously a good guy.

I actually lol'd at that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hahaha...have we met?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha...have we met?

Cocaine is a powerful drug!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top