Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2017 4:16:32 PM EDT
I mentioned what softpoint and KC3 do to some political acquaintances.

One of them posted back:

I was taking a couple of my foster kids to the local DCBS office for counseling, and they had a handwritten sign saying "No guns, no knives, this means everyone!".  They had hired a private security guard who had zero idea of the law due to a legitimate security threat to one of their case workers.  I advised them of the law, and even looked up the KRS for them, passed in 2014, IIRC.  I also recommended that case workers look into getting concealed carry permit, and told them that I would train them (I'm a Kentucky CCDW instructor) only charging the cost I have to pay to the state for training materials.  No takers so far.  They did take down the sign, though.
View Quote
I thought that was pretty good work on his part. He's run for state office and knows the law fairly well. He also stuck his neck out since as a foster parent who has put in for adoption the workers at the office could make things tough for him if they got uppity about a simple request to follow the law.

I posted this anonymously for now because he doesn't want anything to mess up his adoption application.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That is great work on his part. I understand the need for anonymity. The first time I went through one of these, I became an "enemy of the people" in the small, rural city and county where I grew up. All of the city and county officials had been friends of mine since childhood. After I complained about some signs at city hall and in the parks, they forgot who I was. It stayed like that for about ten years. I decided then, that, in some cases, it may be better to have someone from the outside approach local officials. There is nothing they can do to me or my family. There is always some risk for a local to undertake these projects. Of course, if you have city and county officials that would behave like that, they have no business in a government position, in the first place, but we all know that they do exist, sometimes. By the way, the new preemption statute was passed in 2012 and took full effect on Jan. 14, of 2013. Prior to this new law, the old statute only applied to agencies that are actually part of a city and county government. This new law applies to almost any organization that is funded by the public.

I am currently involved with discussions with people from a large company in Jefferson Co. I don't want to say who right now, but you'll know about it soon. When I first approached them, they said that the law didn't apply to them, because they were a private business. I disagree, but didn't want to get into that argument with them. It didn't matter. I knew that the board that governs them was public, there was no doubt about that and that board made all the rules and policies for the company. So, it is illegal for the board to pass any rules or policies about guns. When I put it to them that way, they realized that there was nothing they could do and I hope to have this completely resolved soon.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am currently involved with discussions with people from a large company in Jefferson Co. I don't want to say who right now, but you'll know about it soon. When I first approached them, they said that the law didn't apply to them, because they were a private business. I disagree, but didn't want to get into that argument with them. It didn't matter. I knew that the board that governs them was public, there was no doubt about that and that board made all the rules and policies for the company. So, it is illegal for the board to pass any rules or policies about guns. When I put it to them that way, they realized that there was nothing they could do and I hope to have this completely resolved soon.
View Quote
I'm interested in this story....

Look forward to hearing the details once you can go public with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top