Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 3:34:51 PM EDT
In a couple weeks I will be married, and after we get back from the honeymoon I'll start the process to change my residency from OH to KY. I currently have an Ohio CHL and need to get a KY CCDW.

Looks like I'll need to take that course again (bleck...already did that in OH but whatever) and pay the fee. I assume I can only get the KY license after getting my DL changed? Is there a waiting time for new residents before they can apply?

And - maybe I'll post this in the Ohio HTF - but can I carry under my Ohio CHL until my KY one comes in?

And yes, I did google all this.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to KY.  And congrats on the marriage.

Once you become a resident of KY, you can take a class with an instructor.

8 hours, open book 25 question test, and range test (11/20 rounds at 7yds).

Your certificate will be sent to your residence, and then you'll take it to the S/O in your county.  They can take your picture, or require you to provide a picture.  $60 is the cost for the license, and is good for 5 years.  It also bypasses NICS as long as it has your current residence on it.  You'll need to provide 2 payments to the Sheriff's Office---one for $40 to the state treasurer, and $20 the county to do the BG check.  No FP cards needed.

If you move to another place in KY, a change of address can be completed at the S/O and won't take very long to update.

It will qualify you to carry a firearm, along other types of weapons.  Death star, shiruken, billy club, slapjack, artificial knuckles, weapons of mass destruction, knives other than ordinary hunting knives (think OTF).

As far as your OH CCW license being valid once you change citizenship from OH to KY, I can't answer that, but the KY license should be in your possession within 90 days.  You can put a gun in your center console or glove box in the interim, and KY is an open carry state.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Sent you an email.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all.

And for anyone else, I answered my own question on the validity of an Ohio CHL for a KY resident HERE

Ohio has no problem with it until it expires, but you can't renew. KY however asks you to file as above.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The CCDW license is not connected to a drivers license. The day you become a resident you can take a class and begin the process. You are not required to show any proof of residency to take the class. In fact, anyone from any state can take the class.
View Quote
Is there a specific class or does hunters ed count?

Sorry for the stupid question but I looked on the state police website and didn't see the answer.

I'm probably moving back next year, have a WA CPL, and took hunters ed in KY.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is there a specific class or does hunters ed count?

Sorry for the stupid question but I looked on the state police website and didn't see the answer.

I'm probably moving back next year, have a WA CPL, and took hunters ed in KY.
View Quote
Totally different classes. Hunting deer doesn't involve the same use of force law that is covered in the CCW course.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Good to know, thanks.

Here in WA we have no class.

Pun intended.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks all.

And for anyone else, I answered my own question on the validity of an Ohio CHL for a KY resident HERE

Ohio has no problem with it until it expires, but you can't renew. KY however asks you to file as above.
View Quote
Keep in mind that you only have so many days to change your address on your driver's license from OH to KY once you move here.  It's state law and a misdemeanor.  There are exemptions/exceptions for deployed military personnel and things like that, but for most folks it's a set amount of time.  

Can't recall if it's 30, 60, or 90 days.  Local court clerk could answer the question.  Most people don't get caught but it's easy to get involved with work or something and forget, get pulled over, a few questions from the cop and...potential jail time.  

This is just for the DL not CCDW.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In a couple weeks I will be married, and after we get back from the honeymoon I'll start the process to change my residency from OH to KY. I currently have an Ohio CHL and need to get a KY CCDW.

Looks like I'll need to take that course again (bleck...already did that in OH but whatever) and pay the fee. I assume I can only get the KY license after getting my DL changed? Is there a waiting time for new residents before they can apply?

And - maybe I'll post this in the Ohio HTF - but can I carry under my Ohio CHL until my KY one comes in? No, you cannot. Ky does not recognize permits from other states held by KY residents. The only way for a KY resident to ccdw here is with a valid KY permit.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If your moving around Richmond /Berea area I give classes thru my company Fire For Effect LLC. I am approved thru the State of Kentucky for ccdw, my class is only 4 hrs then go shoot, I hand you a certificate day of and if you register and apply online at Ksp website and get your license within 2 weeks. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if interested.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And - maybe I'll post this in the Ohio HTF - but can I carry under my Ohio CHL until my KY one comes in? No, you cannot. Ky does not recognize permits from other states held by KY residents. The only way for a KY resident to ccdw here is with a valid KY permit.

No. Not true, not true, not true. Google has led you astray. Use google again to read KRS 237.110(20)(b). Under certain conditions a new resident of Ky. can carry in Ky. on his out of state license for 120 days or until his Ky. CCDW comes in.http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=44465
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No. Not true, not true, not true. Google has led you astray. Use google again to read KRS 237.110(20)(b). Under certain conditions a new resident of Ky. can carry in Ky. on his out of state license for 120 days or until his Ky. CCDW comes in.http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=44465
View Quote
Amazingly our state CCDW department is wrong then. I just got recertified as a CCDW trainer and I asked this very question and answered nearly verbatim as to what I was told at the recert meeting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Amazingly our state CCDW department is wrong then. I just got recertified as a CCDW trainer and I asked this very question and answered nearly verbatim as to what I was told at the recert meeting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure what you mean by "our state CCDW dept.", but it really doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what the laws passed by the General Assembly say. Did you read KRS 237.110 (20)(b) from the link I supplied above? This is a very good example of why none of us should listen to what anybody says about our gun laws. Go directly to the statutes and read them for yourself. Then you will KNOW what the law is. Don't believe anybody, including me, that tells you that they know what they are talking about. I try to include a link to the relevant statute every time I make a reference to a gun law. Law Enforcement Officers and gun store clerks are the worse source of gun law knowledge. They seem to think they must respond to any question about gun law, no matter whether or not they know anything about the subject being questioned. They think that saying, "I don't know" will make them look less qualified for their job. Many CCDW instructors and instructor trainers don't keep up with the changes each year and some of them are confused by what has been law for a long time. Don't take anybody's word for it.There is a lot of confusion about Ky. gun laws out there. There is even a lot of misinformation coming out of the Dept of Criminal Justice Training in Richmond. Saying "that's what my CCDW instructor (or Sheriff, or Chief of Police or best friend) told me" will not keep you out of jail.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am not sure what you mean by "our state CCDW dept.", but it really doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what the laws passed by the General Assembly say. Did you read KRS 237.110 (20)(b) from the link I supplied above? This is a very good example of why none of us should listen to what anybody says about our gun laws. Go directly to the statutes and read them for yourself. Then you will KNOW what the law is. Don't believe anybody, including me, that tells you that they know what they are talking about. I try to include a link to the relevant statute every time I make a reference to a gun law. Law Enforcement Officers and gun store clerks are the worse source of gun law knowledge. They seem to think they must respond to any question about gun law, no matter whether or not they know anything about the subject being questioned. They think that saying, "I don't know" will make them look less qualified for their job. Many CCDW instructors and instructor trainers don't keep up with the changes each year and some of them are confused by what has been law for a long time. Don't take anybody's word for it.There is a lot of confusion about Ky. gun laws out there. There is even a lot of misinformation coming out of the Dept of Criminal Justice Training in Richmond. Saying "that's what my CCDW instructor (or Sheriff, or Chief of Police or best friend) told me" will not keep you out of jail.
View Quote
I am fairly sure you knew exactly what I mean by my statement of " our state CCDW dept.". Yes you are correct and I was incorrect in my statement.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Just to clarify, is a Death Star, a ninja throwing star?  I have a few that need to see duty as a CCW.  The perp would fall down laughing at me if I pulled them out.  Then I could subdue him....
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just moved to Kentucky from Tennessee last June after completing construction on our house. This is absolutely correct. Go to your Sherriff's office there is a form to be filled out that gives you the 120 day "grace period"
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Filled out my form, mailed it, and got the return receipt. All good for now but the clock is ticking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top