Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 7:13:59 PM EDT
I know there are several people in Scott County on this board.  Last fall I talked with a couple of people who, along with myself, expressed disappointment with the lack of information and response from the Scott County GOP.  I started going to their meetings and was extremely disappointed by what I saw.  I mentioned it in a couple election threads here at the time.  For the size of Scott County and home of the Senate Majority Leader the party energy and involvement was basically zero.

Well the 4 year reorganization happened last Saturday March 18th and there is a new chairman.  Daymon Thayer actually organized the take over and his hand picked candidate won in a landslide.  It appeared to be a blindside to the current leadership, which I doubt would have been necessary.  The votes were not even close, something like 40 to 8.  Jeremy Mattox is the new Scott County GOP Chairman.  He worked with Daymon previously and he was heavily involved in Pratt's campaign and victory.  A new younger (mid 30s-40s) crowd is in charge and seems motivated.  The 8 or so people that voted for the old chairmen had good intentions but just didn't get much done.

Daymon Thayer said he wants to make Scott County the Republican strong hold of Kentucky.  He has several rising stars of the area on board, such as Country Boy Brewing.  If you want to be involved now is a good time start.  Thayer gave a speech about how he wants to finish off what remains of the Democrat party and Scott County will be key to that.  The meetings have generally been the 3rd Tuesday of month, cancelled this month though.  Not sure if next month will keep the same date or not.  I will post more before it happens.

Scott County GOP Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/scottgop/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

They currently don't have a functional website but I have offered to create something for them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
This is going to be very interesting!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Good!  I would gladly make the drive up there from Lexington.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info Swire.

I'm up for getting more involved.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#4]
For those interested...

"Scott County GOP Meeting
We will hold our next monthly meeting on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 5:30 pm in the banquet room located in the rear of Galvin's restaurant at 155 W. Main Street in Georgetown, Kentucky. Please note the change in time and location from prior meetings. 

Yours very truly,

Jeremy Mattox
Chairman"
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Any registration/sign up or just show up?

Will try and make it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Just show up as far as I know.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Jeremy Mattox said he wanted it to be an informal gathering and hoped that it would attract more people.  

The previous meetings were official "formal" meetings on the 3rd floor of the court house.  I wouldn't say they were stuffy but the room was crowded, the same dry format was followed, and it was mainly the die hard regulars who have been carrying the water for everyone for all the years.  They got the work done, so I'm not putting down anything they did, but that meeting format was not conducive to attracting new people, especially younger people.  I posted about that here back in October.  I went to my first meeting and half way through I had decided I would never be back.  The meeting tone changed shortly after that and was more interactive and discussion based, which is more what I had expected.  The meetings following that were more along the lines of the first part of the first meeting.  

There is no sign up.  Not sure how big the meeting room at Galvins is.  The previous meetings attracted 15-25 people.  The reorg that happened last month had about 50 people.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Reminder the informal meeting is tonight at 5:30pm at Galvin's new location which is one block west of their old location next to the court house.  There is pretty much no parking, so you will still need to park by the court house and walk or see if you can find an area on Water St to park.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to see you again this evening Swire.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good to see you again this evening Swire.
View Quote
Yes good to see you as well.  

For those that didn't make it the new chairman actually has some fairly aggressive plan and ideas compared to anything that was done in the past.  They aren't flushed out yet or really put in motion as it has only been a month but it is a good start.  People are seeing the writing on the wall and jumping off the sinking Democrat ship.  That is a huge deal.  I've lived in Scott County for 16 years and when I moved here half the Republican slots on the local ballot were empty because no one even bothered to run.  Now life long Democrats are registering as Republican and even elected officials are changing their party affiliation while in office.  That is a huge deal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry I missed the meeting and seeing you guys, work got in the way.  Need to have a get together in G'town.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a heads up that the next Scott County GOP meeting will be one that you don't want to miss.  You don't have to be from Scott County to attend.  Generally the legislators have stuck around for a little while for people to talk with them one on one.  It might be a good time to ask them how to get legislation prepped for the next session or see what pro-gun legislation they might be willing to pass.  Any input on what we should ask? @softpoint

Come hear Sen. Damon Thayer and Reps. Phillip Pratt, Brian Linder and Mark Hart discuss the 2017 General Assembly legislative session and all the good things the new Republican majority is doing for the Commonwealth of Kentucky and Scott County.

Tuesday, May 16 at 5:30 PM - 6:30 PMGalvin's Conference Room155 W Main St, Georgetown, Kentucky 40324
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:25:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I forgot to bump the thread and correct the location of the meeting.  He switched it back to the court house.  All the guest speakers were there and explained what they accomplished along with their motivation for why they pushed for the things they did.

The next meeting will be Tuesday June 13th at 5:30pm.  The location has not been set yet.  

They will be having a Lincoln Day Dinner/Fundraiser on June 24th from 6pm to 8pm at the Georgetown College conference room.  The price per person will be $30.  It is one of the bigger fundraisers that they put on.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn it, missed it.

They need to get a mailing list or something set up for those that are actually interested. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I missed it as well, just too much going on.  Will try to meet you all at the June meeting and Lincoln Day dinner.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Damn it, missed it.

They need to get a mailing list or something set up for those that are actually interested. 
View Quote
Right now Facebook is where all the updates are going.  I would have missed the meeting too or at least shown up at the wrong location if I hadn't seen that.

I"m still working on the getting the domain name transferred.  Then I'll work on getting that info on the website.  I will also work to get some new type of email/text system going.  I still get no emails as well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I missed it as well, just too much going on.  Will try to meet you all at the June meeting and Lincoln Day dinner.
View Quote
I will not be able to make the June meeting but I plan to attend the Lincoln Day dinner.  Not to discourage people from attending that but they said it would mainly be focused on the Lincoln Day dinner.  I'm assuming things such as prep, verifying numbers, speakers...etc.

Andy Barr is going to be the main speaker.  They are working on getting the Lt. Gov and Rand Paul but they generally don't confirm appearances until the week before.  Andy Barr has confirmed and the Democrats are making a huge push to take him out, so he is the one getting top billing to raise awareness.  

I do have the audio from last nights meeting if you are interested in it.  I haven't listened to it yet so I'm not sure of the quality.  

If our schedules work we can try to schedule a Georgetown meet up.  Everyone has different evenings that they are free due to work and family.  In order to make things happen, I will make any evening after 6pm work.  If you and kallnojoy can find an evening that works then I'll be there.  After that we can announce the date/time here here and see if anyone else can show up. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to try to make some of the next meetings as well.  My wife and I have been on vacation and just had our 2nd anniversary on the 16th, so needless to say there's been some good events happening
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I still get the emails, sorry that I didn't advise - thought you mentioned getting one.  I should be able to make the next meeting and the dinner.  Hoping "normal" returns in June/July...  Who knows, maybe I will even be able to go shoot...
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Been out for a while and just got this, anyone going?  

"The June meeting of the Scott County Republican Party will be held on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 5:30 pm at Galvin's in the large room in the back. This meeting will feature updates on the Lincoln Day Dinner planning. Please note the change in location from last month's meeting place of the Scott County Courthouse

Thank you,

Jeremy Mattox
Chairman "

Not sure I can make that time but planning to attend.  Anyone going to the Lincoln Day Dinner besides me?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top