Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2017 11:10:25 AM EDT
CJ article

Wow the article linked the bill. Good job CJ. (no sarcasm, Im honestly happy to see that)

CW is that calls to the LRC work best. Just call 1-800-372-7181, some nice ladies will answer, ask for your name and address and phone, then take a short message. "Ask Rep so-and-so to support/oppose HR12345". That short message helps. Some reps wont react to these, but generally phone calls work best. *Be polite* and be on point.

You should definitely call if your rep sits on the relevant committee, Local Government. Listing here: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Comm.../standing/LocGov(H)/members.htm My Rep does, I'll have to phone him.

The legislative session is only 30 days long and I think they already ate up a week of that. Use your lunch break and call today. KY legislation moves quickly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It is very important that this bill, or any like it, never pass. I don't think that this bill has a chance in hell of ever seeing a committee hearing, but I'm still calling all of the committee members and telling them to oppose HB 101. If it should ever be scheduled for a hearing, I'll be there to speak against it.

The CJ article was pretty good, but it did have one mistake. There was no law passed in 2012 that "bars Louisville from prohibiting guns in city-operated buildings." I assume they are referring to KRS 65.870, but they misunderstand it. Louisville has the authority to ban "concealed" weapons in all of their buildings. They have had that authority since 1996 when concealed carry licenses first became available and comes from KRS 237.115, not KRS 65.870. They do not have the authority to ban openly carried weapons, and have never had that authority.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The members of that committee are a little scary. It is full of representatives from Jefferson Co. and a lot of democrats. I couldn't get RotaryJihad's link to the committee members to work, but here it is again:
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Committee/standing/LocGov(H)/members.htm

The 800 number in the OP is open 8 am til 4:30 pm.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I know that Riggs is probably OK. Democrat but NRA A or A- rated, he represents my district.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The best solution is for it to never get a hearing in committee. That way we don't have to worry about how many "yes" votes there are.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#5]
No one should forget that there is a much worse bill in the Senate. SB 46 would do the same thing as HB 101, except it would allow both Louisville and Lexington to regulate guns. Anybody see a pattern here?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No one should forget that there is a much worse bill in the Senate. SB 46 would do the same thing as HB 101, except it would allow both Louisville and Lexington to regulate guns. Anybody see a pattern here?
View Quote

What proposals have the proponents in those cities put forward? What would Scott, Fischer, and Owens suggest that Louisville do if this measure passes?

A common refrain from gun controllers is that gun control in DC, NYC, LA, and Chicago doesn't work because surrounding areas don't have strong gun control. Therefore what good does enacting gun control in Louisville do, its surrounded by Kentucky and Indiana. By their own logic their plan will fail.

I'm genuinely looking to see what the other side is putting forward. I doubt they have any new or novel ideas, if they do we need to know about it to counter it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Its about 2 things.

Control

and

Subjugating decent people to the  criminal element

The city CAN pass laws on the discharge of a firearm, yet they have not.   They don't want to arrest the trouble makers.

They squeal like  little bitches that we can't arrest our way out of the situation.   Then why do they need to make more local laws, other than to control and subjugate decent people?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What proposals have the proponents in those cities put forward? What would Scott, Fischer, and Owens suggest that Louisville do if this measure passes?

A common refrain from gun controllers is that gun control in DC, NYC, LA, and Chicago doesn't work because surrounding areas don't have strong gun control. Therefore what good does enacting gun control in Louisville do, its surrounded by Kentucky and Indiana. By their own logic their plan will fail.

I'm genuinely looking to see what the other side is putting forward. I doubt they have any new or novel ideas, if they do we need to know about it to counter it.
View Quote

It is the old "nose of the camel in the tent" theory. Once the camel gets his nose in the tent, the rest is soon to follow. If they can break the monopoly that the General Assembly has on gun regulations, they think they can get more and more and more, as time goes by. Let's not allow them to get to 1st base, then we don't have to worry about them stealing home.

If they can get these things done, next year it will be Owensboro and Ashland, then Pikeville and Pudacah, then finally any city will be allowed to violate your constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand it .

I would like pre-emption to be made part of the state constitution.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I understand it .

I would like pre-emption to be made part of the state constitution.
View Quote

The state constitution is commonly ignored. These people don't care about the constitution. If you can ever get them in a conversation on the issues and the constitution is brought up, their eyes will glaze over and you have lost them. If the cities would have paid any attention to the constitution in the first place, there would have never been a need for a preemption statute. All it did was codify the constitutional prohibition into the statutes, where everybody can see it. People can understand that you can't break a law, they are bound by laws every day. The constitution is a mystery to most people, especially the state constitution. Most people don't even know there is a state constitution.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:08:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is the old "nose of the camel in the tent" theory. Once the camel gets his nose in the tent, the rest is soon to follow. If they can break the monopoly that the General Assembly has on gun regulations, they think they can get more and more and more, as time goes by. Let's not allow them to get to 1st base, then we don't have to worry about them stealing home.

If they can get these things done, next year it will be Owensboro and Ashland, then Pikeville and Pudacah, then finally any city will be allowed to violate your constitutional rights.
View Quote

Isn't Louisville made up of mainly democrats, what's from stopping them doing this? Sorry for my ignorance on the state constitution, but doesn't that go against the Constitution? I don't understand how this can pass, especially since Republicans hold power here in the state. As I said earlier all cities would be doing this as they're mostly democrats.

I wish I had more times on my hands to go over what my state constitution and laws are. Blah, hate working so much.

Also if you don't mind give me the links of the people I need to contact. The least I can do is call them on my breaks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Isn't Louisville made up of mainly democrats, what's from stopping them doing this? Sorry for my ignorance on the state constitution, but doesn't that go against the Constitution? I don't understand how this can pass, especially since Republicans hold power here in the state. As I said earlier all cities would be doing this as they're mostly democrats.

I wish I had more times on my hands to go over what my state constitution and laws are. Blah, hate working so much.

Also if you don't mind give me the links of the people I need to contact. The least I can do is call them on my breaks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't Louisville made up of mainly democrats, what's from stopping them doing this?

What stops them from doing it, is a state law that says they can't. We have a state law that says cities, counties and all other public agencies can not have gun regulations. That state law is KRS 65.870. No matter how many people that live in Jefferson Co. want to ban guns (or just make it harder to own them) they can't do it, because state law says they can't. All gun laws in Ky. must come from Frankfort, so that they will be the same all over the state. The Ky. General Assembly has said that they, and they alone, will decide what gun laws  will be passed in Ky. This new bill would give Louisville and Lexington an exception to that state law and allow them to pass any gun restriction they want. If that happens, soon every city and county will pass its own gun laws and every time you cross into a different jurisdiction the laws will be different and you'll have to keep up with what the law is in this place, this year. Every library, health dept., fire station, water district, public bus system, parks dept. will have their own gun rules and you will be required to figure it all out and remember it. You will have to remember if your state issued CCDW is valid it each city and county. It would be a nightmare. I hear people complain that they can't figure out which state will recognize their CCDW, what if we had to do that with every city and county? Over the last few years, Jefferson Co. has passed countywide gun registration, 3 day waiting period to buy a gun, 10 round magazine capacity, gun ban in government buildings each time they have been rejected by the Attorney General's office or the courts. If they are ever allowed to pass any gun regulation, it will become impossible to carry or use a gun in Jefferson Co.

Sorry for my ignorance on the state constitution, but doesn't that go against the Constitution?

Yes, I my opinion it is, but my opinion and yours don't count for much. There are laws passed every year that violate our state or federal constitutions. It takes years and millions of dollars to get them declared unconstitutional by the courts. Often there is nobody with enough time and money that cares enough to get it fixed. That's the reason the NRA sends out those letters every month asking for donations.

I don't understand how this can pass, especially since Republicans hold power here in the state.

Most likely, it can't pass. I doubt it will even get a committee hearing to be discussed, but we want to make sure it doesn't pass. It would be a disaster for our state. Do you want to just assume it can't pass? Isn't it worth a few minutes of your time to make a phone call? Most of the bills that the NRA, KC3 and other gun rights groups oppose, can't pass and thankfully, they don't pass. The effort, time and money must be expended to oppose them anyway.  Not only do we want to see that they don't pass, we want them smacked down so hard that they don't come back again next year. If we don't, next year they might pass. The few, bad gun laws we have were passed and it is taking years of work to get them fixed. Nobody was paying attention and let it happen.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Isn't Louisville made up of mainly democrats, what's from stopping them doing this?

What stops them from doing it, is a state law that says they can't. We have a state law that says cities, counties and all other public agencies can not have gun regulations. That state law is KRS 65.870. No matter how many people that live in Jefferson Co. want to ban guns (or just make it harder to own them) they can't do it, because state law says they can't. All gun laws in Ky. must come from Frankfort, so that they will be the same all over the state. The Ky. General Assembly has said that they, and they alone, will decide what gun laws  will be passed in Ky. This new bill would give Louisville and Lexington an exception to that state law and allow them to pass any gun restriction they want. If that happens, soon every city and county will pass its own gun laws and every time you cross into a different jurisdiction the laws will be different and you'll have to keep up with what the law is in this place, this year. Every library, health dept., fire station, water district, public bus system, parks dept. will have their own gun rules and you will be required to figure it all out and remember it. You will have to remember if your state issued CCDW is valid it each city and county. It would be a nightmare. I hear people complain that they can't figure out which state will recognize their CCDW, what if we had to do that with every city and county? Over the last few years, Jefferson Co. has passed countywide gun registration, 3 day waiting period to buy a gun, 10 round magazine capacity, gun ban in government buildings each time they have been rejected by the Attorney General's office or the courts. If they are ever allowed to pass any gun regulation, it will become impossible to carry or use a gun in Jefferson Co.

Sorry for my ignorance on the state constitution, but doesn't that go against the Constitution?

Yes, I my opinion it is, but my opinion and yours don't count for much. There are laws passed every year that violate our state or federal constitutions. It takes years and millions of dollars to get them declared unconstitutional by the courts. Often there is nobody with enough time and money that cares enough to get it fixed. That's the reason the NRA sends out those letters every month asking for donations.

I don't understand how this can pass, especially since Republicans hold power here in the state.

Most likely, it can't pass. I doubt it will even get a committee hearing to be discussed, but we want to make sure it doesn't pass. It would be a disaster for our state. Do you want to just assume it can't pass? Isn't it worth a few minutes of your time to make a phone call? Most of the bills that the NRA, KC3 and other gun rights groups oppose, can't pass and thankfully, they don't pass. The effort, time and money must be expended to oppose them anyway.  Not only do we want to see that they don't pass, we want them smacked down so hard that they don't come back again next year. If we don't, next year they might pass. The few, bad gun laws we have were passed and it is taking years of work to get them fixed. Nobody was paying attention and let it happen.
View Quote

Thanks for your response. I sent emails to the our congress critters in the link you gave above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top