Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2016 5:34:11 PM EDT
Prior New Years have sounded like a war zone in Louisville.    With the increase in shootings and firearm related murders,  tonight will give Mogadishu a run for the money, unless we get a lot of rain and bad weather.

I would love to be in Northern KY tonight at the house.   But, I better stay in town to watch out for my property.

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
By 7:30pm,  gunfire was picking up.    It is now just after 10pm.    People are doing mag dumps.    Lots of 15 rd 9mm and 40S&W  mag dumps with a few 30 rd mags of rifle fire thrown in for good measure.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Cops don't even try to find the shooters.    

They are completely under staffed for a night like tonight.

I have seen far fewer cops tonight than an average work night.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of gunfire in the downtown area
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#4]
After, 11:30p  now.

Nonstop gunfire.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Just after midnight.

Lots of 30 rd mag dumps of rifle fire.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Our worthless piece of trash mayor and police chief think this stuff is funny and refuse do anything about it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, they're really mag dumping in downtown Lville? Is it really that bad over there?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#8]
The house in question is not in the downtown business district.   The house is in the  Portland neighborhood, almost straight down the street from my downtown office.

I suppose I should have stayed in Northern KY, as there is nothing I can do here, since the police won't respond to calls of gun fire.      They see it like littering, maybe less serious comparatively.

Shooting has died down to occasional gunfire.     A few handgun rounds went off while typing this.

I never understood the whole shooting at midnight New Year's Eve.  

The downtown business district is the most heavily guarded area within Louisville, as the mayor is big on tourist.   He does seem to dislike residents though.

If there is shooting in the business district, that is worse than just 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#9]
It wasn't me. I swear!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The house in question is not in the downtown business district.   The house is in the  Portland neighborhood, almost straight down the street from my downtown office.

I suppose I should have stayed in Northern KY, as there is nothing I can do here, since the police won't respond to calls of gun fire.      They see it like littering, maybe less serious comparatively.

Shooting has died down to occasional gunfire.     A few handgun rounds went off while typing this.

I never understood the whole shooting at midnight New Year's Eve.  

The downtown business district is the most heavily guarded area within Louisville, as the mayor is big on tourist.   He does seem to dislike residents though.

If there is shooting in the business district, that is worse than just 3 years ago.
View Quote

The distance from the business district to no man's land is measured in blocks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Happy New Year D.

I heard plenty of "shots fired" until about 0030 this morning.  I'm surprised it didn't make my dog go nuts.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#13]
NE Louisville for me and right at midnight it went from quiet to a war zone for about 5 minutes. Worried me enough to check in on the kids. Feel bad for the kid hit by someone else being a dumbass firing wildly into the air.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
NE Louisville for me and right at midnight it went from quiet to a war zone for about 5 minutes. Worried me enough to check in on the kids. Feel bad for the kid hit by someone else being a dumbass firing wildly into the air.
View Quote

Where in NE Louisville? Out by the Summit Mall area was quiet though maybe closer to the Jefferson County Line to Crestwood or La Grange people were shooting in their less-densely populated areas.

I'm betting none of the "celebration" in downtown Louisville involved shooting into a proper backstop and practiced safety precautions.

Is firing a gun within city limits against the law? I know only KY legislature is the only authority on gun-related laws (except a few small exceptions allowing local govt bodies and colleges to regulate weapons carry/possession) but would local ordinances on discharging firearms be legal? I think not. The can get you on that noise ordinance though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#15]
It was mostly shooting into the air.    That is always a bad idea unless using a shotgun with no.# 9 or 10 shot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
NE Louisville for me ...
View Quote

Is that anywhere around the general area of Prospect?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is firing a gun within city limits against the law? I know only KY legislature is the only authority on gun-related laws (except a few small exceptions allowing local govt bodies and colleges to regulate weapons carry/possession) but would local ordinances on discharging firearms be legal? I think not. The can get you on that noise ordinance though.
View Quote

Discharing a firearm within city limits is illegal in probably every city, with few exceptions, such as self defense within licensed businesses such as firing ranges.

I would wager $100 those charges would stick too.

Edit : I would prefer my $100 wager go toward a great dinner together,  well over a hundred dollar value.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe. I can't find any KRS or even a Louisville ordinance prohibiting it though. If anyone can find it in the link below or knows of it let me know. All of the weapons-related ordinances Louisville has are written to comply with State law and even reference specific statutes. I found metro council documents that have even air rifle discharge being repealed.

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/metro-council/services/most-requested-ordinances

http://agendas.louisvilleky.gov/sirepub/cache/2/jvfuqp3pqeghflggm1e3nkzp/74546701022017041655420.PDF
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Can't find anything in case history either. I have access to extensive appellate cases and the only one dealing with discharging of a firearm and city ordinances is from 1920 with a law that no longer exists.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Noise and nuisance is what they use to prohibit discharge of firearms. It is very common for cities to use this kind of ordinance since it keeps them from violating KRS 65.870.

Here is Louisville Metro's noise ordinance:

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Kentucky/loukymetro/louisvillejeffersoncountymetrogovernment?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:louisville_ky
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks! That should be easily avoided with suppressors, especially once they get removed from the NFA list
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:25:43 AM EDT
[#22]
FYI

Many of the news programs mentioned "dozens" of "shots fired".    

LOL!!!!

It was thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:32:04 AM EDT
[#23]
In my opinion, I think those who fire rounds into the air for "celebrations" should be charged with the felony, wanton endangerment.  

Yes, a shot can be taken at an animal in the city in a safe manner.    Would most people try to be safe?    I doubt it.   But, it can certainly be done.

This recklessness has to be stopped.    Decent people have to come up with some way to shut down the scum bags.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Firing rounds in public is and has been grounds for a wanton endangerment charge, though it's only a felony when in the first degree. But on private property it is a different case because well, it's private property, and I am a big supporter of private property rights. Oddly enough "property" is considered only that when used in the context of the community you are in. If you are alone on an island, you may have sole use of the things there, but you own no property until others arrive. Interesting food for thought. At the very least people who shoot guns into the air like that could be considered to be liable in a civil suit should damage/injury/death occur to someone else. But then again, I doubt that most of those people "celebrating" have any amount of money, let alone enough to judicially compensate for a loss.

As to solutions, ironically enough wasn't Fischer trying to push that "gun shot detector" system?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:27:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I live right by the Iroquois park entrance.
1201 to 1215 am gunshots, gunshots all around!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I am very pro-gun, even without the 2nd.Am, but this is fooking insane.    I wasn't in KY on NYsEve though, I have no idea how it was in my little town.

Maybe next year we should paint our faces black and shut these assholes down for good.

Yeah I know we can't do that.... I just get all worked up about *effective* solutions from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I can relate.    I am doing better today.   But at the time, I was not afraid, but was going bonkers having to accept that I should not ... effectively address the situation.     Mind you, I was fully  geared up in case anyone decided to get froggy directly.   My blood was boiling, but I held it together.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I was told along time ago that a lot of officers would park under overpasses when it got close to midnight.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#29]
There is no "city limits" in Louisville.  It's all Jefferson County and there is no specific law against shooting a firearm.  The only law is against doing it in an unsafe manor.  

The police won't respond to shots fired calls on New Years Eve because the sheer amount would be too many to deal with.  It's only "attempt to locate" BOLO's that will be broadcast.  

The smarter cops are hiding during the mess.

I remember one year out in the county we asked for the helicopter for some guys breaking into a business on the roof.  It was about 11:40 at night.  We got laughed at.  And rightfully so.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:54:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There is no "city limits" in Louisville.  It's all Jefferson County ...
View Quote

It is a mess.   We all know and understand traditional city and county governments.  There is the city.   The city still has their set of operations.  There is the county.   The county still has their set of operations  They both have their structures of organizations.       I have no clue what the actual structure of the "metro" government is, if there is any.     All that I can tell is that city made a power grab to take over some county personnel at one time.  

That is the sign I see coming into the ... city/county/metro, or whatever this Hell hole area is defined as.   (We just be here for the da Benjamins!   LOL!)

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:02:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
... there is no specific law against shooting a firearm. The only law is against doing it in an unsafe manor.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
... there is no specific law against shooting a firearm. The only law is against doing it in an unsafe manor.  

Quoted:
From KRS 65.870:
65.870 Local firearms control ordinances prohibited -- Exemption from immunity -
- Declaratory and injunctive relief.
(1) No existing or future city, county, urban-county government, charter county,
consolidated local government, unified local government, special district, local or
regional public or quasi-public agency, board, commission, department, public
corporation, or any person acting under the authority of any of these organizations
may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the manufacture, sale, purchase,
taxation, transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, storage, or transportation of
firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, components of ammunition,
firearms accessories, or combination thereof.

It appears it does not prohibit cities from regulating the discharge of firearms.

I suppose the cities could regulate the discharge of firearms.    I suppose the mayor and council could do that.    A strong mayor could then order the CoP to enforce the same.

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There is no "city limits" in Louisville.  It's all Jefferson County and there is no specific law against shooting a firearm.  The only law is against doing it in an unsafe manor.  

The police won't respond to shots fired calls on New Years Eve because the sheer amount would be too many to deal with.  It's only "attempt to locate" BOLO's that will be broadcast.  

The smarter cops are hiding during the mess.

I remember one year out in the county we asked for the helicopter for some guys breaking into a business on the roof.  It was about 11:40 at night.  We got laughed at.  And rightfully so.
View Quote

I don't know what you mean. Do you mean that Louisville Metro has the same boundaries as Jefferson Co.? If that is what you mean, it is not true. Louisville Metro was formed by the merger of the governments of the City of Louisville and Jefferson Co. That is all. The other cities in Jefferson Co. were not effected and still exist. The Louisville Metro boundaries have to cut out the boundaries of each of these cities.

Or, do you mean that the City of Louisville no longer exists and has been replaced by the government of Jefferson Co. That is absolutely not correct, either.

Louisville Metro has a mayor, not  a County Judge/ Executive. Louisville does not have a Fiscal Court. It has a Metro Council. Louisville Metro is a member of the Ky. League of Cities, it is also a member of the Ky. Association of Counties. Neither the City of Louisville government nor the Jefferson Co. government exist today. The Louisville Metro government has replaced both of them. Some of the agencies still retain the name, like Jefferson Co. Police Dept, but that is only because they have powers throughout the old county jurisdiction. That really doesn't mean anything. The Ky. State Police have police powers in the same places, but we all know they are a state agency. There are a few elected offices, like County Clerk and County Attorney, that retain the old name

There is some sharing of services. The smaller cities in Jefferson Co. do not have their own police depts. and the Jefferson Co. Police patrol those cities. Several of the larger cities have their own police, their own mayor and city council, they can pass their own laws.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#33]
The county offices are tied to the state, such as the county clerks office to include the motor vehicles and PVA (Property Valuation Assessment - property tax).   I am guessing the Sheriff's office is also independent of the Metro and is probably tied to the state.   I know the state directs the county clerks offices and has the clerks in the state retirement system.

How is the city handled?   I know the county often uses many of the old city buildings at little to no rent.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait... so is it 'normal' in KY that we can patrol our own property (ya know, out in the country and all ...) and defend it with deadly force?    Cuz "the law" won't bother to show up, at all?
(do the trespassers know this??)

...Surely I've just entered the twilight zone!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top