Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 11:58:28 PM EDT
I found a Taylor Mill city ordinance that prohibits possession of firearms in city parks. Here is the relevant part of that ordinance:

Nobody other than officers and employees of the city shall cause, promote, permit, allow, aid, assist, encourage or engage in any of the following activities or occurrences within Pride Park, which is located at 5614 Taylor Mill Road, Taylor Mill, KY.

(A) The presence of anybody within the boundaries of the park anytime after dusk and before dawn, without special authorization from the city commission.

(B) The possession of a firearm by anybody other than members of the Taylor Police Department or any other peace officer.

(C) The discharge or display of any fireworks without both a state permit and specific authorization from the commission therefore.

I sent an email to the City Manager, Jill Bailey. On Monday, the city attorney called me and we had a conversation about the ordinance. Every time I referenced KRS 65.870, he would tell me that he was familiar with the statute, but he didn't seem to really know anything about it. Now, he could have been trying to see if I knew anything about it, but I don't think so. Today, Thursday, he sent me a copy of an amended ordinance to review and comment on. That amendment can be seen here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71293583/Park%20Regulations.doc

This amended ordinance should be read at the City Commissioners meeting on Nov. 9 and then again in Dec. for a final adoption. If that schedule is followed, Taylor Mill will just get under the wire to avoid being 4 years late in complying with KRS 65.870.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#1]
These cities would prosecute a person for breaking their petty ordinances.    

The cities should be fined heavily.

Those leaving the ordinance in place, those passing the ordinances after  KRS 65.870 went into effect,  and those enforcing such criminsl actions should all be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for civil rights violations.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Those leaving the ordinance in place, those passing the ordinances after  KRS 65.870 went into effect,  and those enforcing such criminsl actions should all be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for civil rights violations.
View Quote

Well that'd be one way to encourage them to stop breaking the law.

As discussed on other threads, it's likely some of them just don't really know the law... but some of them know the law but are hoping no one calls them out on it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

As discussed on other threads, it's likely some of them just don't really know the law... but some of them know the law but are hoping no one calls them out on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny how ignorance of the law is no excuse for us and we're expected to know every stupid little ordinance in every little stupid town, but it's ok for them to ignore the ones that effect the entire state.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Funny how ignorance of the law is no excuse for us and we're expected to know every stupid little ordinance in every little stupid town, but it's ok for them to ignore the ones that effect the entire state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EXACTLY!

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
You're doing great work for Kentuckians, softpoint

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You're doing great work for Kentuckians, softpoint

Thank you!
View Quote
+1, nice work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top