Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2016 6:50:30 PM EDT
An employee of the City of Campbellsville contacted KC3 for some help. The City has an employee policy that prohibits possession of firearms while on duty. That policy is illegal. Employees and local people should never handle these things themselves, because the city government can retaliate later on. I know, because it happened to me. I was not a city employee, but I became unwelcome at the courthouse after I did some work in my home county 25 years ago.

I got a copy of the city's policy by submitting an Open Records Request. Here is a copy of page 12 and 13 of the "Employees Handbook". It not very legible, because it was faxed to me and then scanned and copied. The pages are in reverse order. Page 13 is on top and page 12 on the bottom.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71293583/Document22%2520(4).pdf

I sent an email to the Mayor of Campbellsville and he referred the problem to the city attorney, John Miller. Here is copy of an email that Mr. Miller sent me.

Dear softpoint,

Your recent correspondence to the City of Campbellsville regarding its firearm policy has
been referred to me for response. It appears at first blush that the statute you
reference may have rendered our Policy out of date and out of compliance. I will look to
see what steps may be necessary in order to bring the City of Campbellsville in
compliance with the statute. We will keep you advised of our progress. Should you like
to discuss this matter, please feel free to contact me.

Mr. Miller called me today and we had a long conversation. There was no real objection to changing the policy. He asked my advice on what to do to get the city into compliance. I told him that the easiest solution was to just delete that entire section of the City's policies. He thought that was a good idea and said he'd consider it. He finished the conversation by saying that there was a "special meeting" of the city council on Monday and he hoped he could get this done then, but was not sure that he could get it on the agenda this late. He assured me that, in any case, it would be fixed no later than the normal City Council meeting scheduled for Nov. 7th. He also said that he would send me a copy of whatever they decided to do and let me know when it was fixed. I feel certain that this is a done deal. I'll let you know when I get the final word on this.

I suggested to Mr. Miller that the city should do some retraining for its dept. heads and supervisors to make sure that they know that they can no longer approach employees about this subject, attempt to intimidate or humiliate them. He said that was a good idea. He also asked me to tell the employee that came to me that if there was any problem in the future to come directly to him. He would see that the problem was fixed and there would be no retaliation. I'm not sure I'd want to take that risk, but the man sounded sincere.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
thumbs up bro.   Hope we are all reading and learning.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
This has been a long, long, long time coming. These people could think of a hundred ways to postpone bringing this to a conclusion. A few city council members refused to comply with the law. The mayor was convinced that the had to comply or be sued. He tried to convince the defectors, but they would not budge. Finally, the mayor said that since this was not an ordinance and just a "policy", he didn't need a vote. So he pulled an Obama and issued an executive order to rescind the policy banning gun possession by city employees.

Here is a link to that executive order:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc0o37vdfzkc58a/Scan0043.pdf?dl=0
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you Softpoint for staying on top of this.  I have friends that are employed by the City, this is good news for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top