Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2016 12:42:28 PM EDT
I'm planning to attend a concert at the waterfront in Louisville in the near future.  The production company put out a list of prohibited items which includes all types of weapons.  This seems like bullshit to me, but does anyone know if a private entity can implement a ban at the waterfront park while they're renting the space?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Law...no

Policy ban...yes

Concealed means.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Law...no

Policy ban...yes

Concealed means.....
View Quote

Is this like the fairgrounds and yum center where the city can't ban carry as the owner but the person who leases it out can ban it?

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is this like the fairgrounds and yum center where the city can't ban carry as the owner but the person who leases it out can ban it?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Law...no

Policy ban...yes

Concealed means.....

Yes, all "waterfront" property is controlled by the Waterfront Development Corp. It is a part of Louisville Metro government. This is from the "concealed carry law", KRS 237.110 (17):

The owner, business or commercial lessee, or manager of a private business
enterprise,
day-care center as defined in KRS 199.894 or certified or licensed
family child-care home as defined in KRS 199.8982, or a health-care facility
licensed under KRS Chapter 216B, except facilities renting or leasing housing,
may prohibit persons holding concealed deadly weapon licenses from carrying
concealed deadly weapons on the premises and may prohibit employees, not
authorized by the employer, holding concealed deadly weapons licenses from
carrying concealed deadly weapons on the property of the employer.
If the
building or the premises are open to the public, the employer or business
enterprise shall post signs on or about the premises if carrying concealed
weapons is prohibited.

It is important to remember that the law restricts "who" can ban guns, not "where" they can be banned. As long as it isn't a state or local government that does the banning, guns can be banned almost anywhere.  Notice the law says a "private business enterprise". If the concert were free that would not be a "business enterprise", in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Above all, recognize when carrying is illegal.   GENERALLY,  a (private) business can ban guns.   But, generally,  they can't do much with their ban.   Businesses renting the Yum center have access to metal detectors.   That means they can identify you and tell you to leave.    Short of metal detectors or pat downs,  carrying isn't an issue if you follow the other guidelines, like staying out of bars.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding the worst they can do is tell you to leave should they realize you're concealing a gun.

However, should you stay even after being asked to leave, you are them trespassing.

I'm talking about venues where guns aren't banned by law of course.

To the experts, is my understanding correct?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding the worst they can do is tell you to leave should they realize you're concealing a gun.

However, should you stay even after being asked to leave, you are them trespassing.

I'm talking about venues where guns aren't banned by law of course.

To the experts, is my understanding correct?
View Quote

Yes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top