Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2016 1:28:04 AM EDT
KC3 has received many questions about firearms carry at the NRA Annual Membership Meeting in Louisville on May 19 thru 22. Just to be clear, there is no authority for any organization involved in any of the events to ban the carry of guns. The one possible exception is the National Prayer Breakfast, scheduled for Sunday, May 22nd at 7 am. That event is to be held in the Grand Ballroom of the Galt House and we do not know the policy on guns in that location. Contact the Galt House directly if you have any questions about that event. All the other events are held on public property and there will be no restrictions on guns being legally carried. We have obtained a copy of the lease for the use of the Ky. Fair and Exposition Center, the Kentucky International Convention Center and the Yum Center by the NRA for this convention. The firearms policy is clearly spelled out in the lease on page 5, Section 6, second paragraph. Here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71293583/Contract.pdf

Current, active members of NRA and their immediate families get into most of these events free, so make sure you bring your membership card with you or pre-register on line for a badge to avoid the lines. Here is a complete schedule of all events with locations and times:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71293583/NRASchedule.pdf
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely pre-register! When you have your badge you walk in, otherwise the lines to get a badge can eat up valuable time. https://www.nraam.org/attendee-info/pre-register.aspx

Thanks for the fact-check softpoint!

Quoted:
Awesome!  Carry proudly and come see us in Booth 2729!
View Quote

Will there be any deals? Is there an ARFCOM secret handshake we can use for a free flashlight?

If you're gonna shamelessly plug, I'm gonna shamelessly beg!
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I just checked on the Galt House.    (I work in the area and went in person.)

I found no anti gun signs on any hotel or Waterfront Plaza entrance.   The only "no weapons" sign was on a bank or credit union enterance within the Waterfront Plaza.

The Veterans Admin. offices on the 3rd floor of the WFP are marked too.    They have armed guards.  No surprise there.

The best entrance for the Grand Ball Room is the entrance to the Waterfront Plaza on Main Street between 3rd and 4th.

Security staff and hotel management is very open and receptive.   Hotel management directed me to a representative for the director of security.   Everyone immediately acknowledged Concealed Carry would not be an issue.   Checking policy, they told me it would not be an issue for the NRA to open carry at the Galt House facilities, including WFP.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
A big THANK YOU  to SoftPoint and KC3 for all he does and they do for us here in KY.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not heard if anyone is going to open carry.

Trump is supposed to be there on the 20th just after noon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not heard if anyone is going to open carry.

Trump is supposed to be there on the 20th just after noon.
View Quote

I'll be there open carrying.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#8]
softpoint - A blog I follow reposted the NRAAM firearm policy rules.  http://gunfreezone.net/index.php/2016/04/13/before-shannon-watts-lies-again-nras-firearms-carry-policy-for-this-years-annual-meeting/ . These appear about 2/3 of the way down the nraam.org page.

It reads,

During the 2016 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Kentucky Exposition Center (KEC), in accordance with Kentucky law.  Firearms and knives will be prohibited in any areas temporarily under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Secret Service.  When carrying your firearm, remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.

Please note that under Kentucky law, concealed firearms are prohibited in areas primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, and loaded firearms are prohibited in any room where alcoholic beverages are being sold by the drink. Alcoholic beverages will be served at some events at the Kentucky International Convention Center (KICC), in certain areas of the KFC Yum! Center, and in some smaller venues.
View Quote

What constitutes "under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Secret Service"? Is this going to be something like a presidential candidate showing up for a speech which will have searches and whatnot? Or would this be something like a candidate showing up and walking the show floor? In laymans terms, will it be obvious when the Secret Service is in charge of an area so that we do not accidentally run afoul of them?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
softpoint - A blog I follow reposted the NRAAM firearm policy rules.  http://gunfreezone.net/index.php/2016/04/13/before-shannon-watts-lies-again-nras-firearms-carry-policy-for-this-years-annual-meeting/ . These appear about 2/3 of the way down the nraam.org page.

It reads,

What constitutes "under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Secret Service"? Is this going to be something like a presidential candidate showing up for a speech which will have searches and whatnot? Or would this be something like a candidate showing up and walking the show floor? In laymans terms, will it be obvious when the Secret Service is in charge of an area so that we do not accidentally run afoul of them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It reads,

During the 2016 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Kentucky Exposition Center (KEC), in accordance with Kentucky law.  Firearms and knives will be prohibited in any areas temporarily under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Secret Service.  When carrying your firearm, remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.

Please note that under Kentucky law, concealed firearms are prohibited in areas primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, and loaded firearms are prohibited in any room where alcoholic beverages are being sold by the drink. Alcoholic beverages will be served at some events at the Kentucky International Convention Center (KICC), in certain areas of the KFC Yum! Center, and in some smaller venues.

What constitutes "under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Secret Service"?
Any place that they say it is.

Is this going to be something like a presidential candidate showing up for a speech which will have searches and whatnot?
I have heard that Trump will be there on Saturday, but those things are very fluid and the whole thing could fall apart. Cruz could show up, too. I suspect that Trump (or Cruz) will come in for a speech in a separate room, entrance to that room will be tightly controlled and he will be rushed out immediately afterward. There is always the possibility of a  live speech at the Convention Center(or even some other city) with video at the Fairgrounds.

Or would this be something like a candidate showing up and walking the show floor?
I doubt that the SS would ever allow that. His activities would be tightly controlled.

In laymans terms, will it be obvious when the Secret Service is in charge of an area so that we do not accidentally run afoul of them?
I suspect they would be very obvious. The idea is to keep people with guns out, not to trick someone into coming in and playing "gotcha".

All of this will be answered in the next month.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, this was answered sooner that I expected. I just heard on the radio (WHAS) that Trump will be speaking at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum on Friday, May 20. If you are not going to the "Leadership Forum" you should not be inconvenienced. That event is scheduled for 12:30 pm in Freedom Hall. Freedom Hall is in the State Fairgrounds and Exposition Center complex, but is separate from where the main body of the Convention is being held and has it's own entrances. This event requires a separate ticket of $20. I am sure that guns will be excluded in that event and people will be screened as they enter. This should not effect anything else that goes on in other portions of the Exposition Center. I've already bought my ticket.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, this was answered sooner that I expected. I just heard on the radio (WHAS) that Trump will be speaking at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum on Friday, May 20. If you are not going to the "Leadership Forum" you should not be inconvenienced. That event is scheduled for 12:30 pm in Freedom Hall. Freedom Hall is in the State Fairgrounds and Exposition Center complex, but is separate from where the main body of the Convention is being held and has it's own entrances. This event requires a separate ticket of $20. I am sure that guns will be excluded in that event and people will be screened as they enter. This should not effect anything else that goes on in other portions of the Exposition Center. I've already bought my ticket.  
View Quote

Something that I think might be an inconvenience with Trump speaking is that the Trump protesters turn out in far larger numbers than anti-gun protestors. Protestors tend to block traffic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Something that I think might be an inconvenience with Trump speaking is that the Trump protesters turn out in far larger numbers than anti-gun protestors. Protestors tend to block traffic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There would have to be a lot of them to block all of the entrances to the State Fairgrounds. This is Ky.  I feel confident that any protesters will be dealt with "appropriately". Remember what happened at the Convention Center when Trump spoke there and was confronted with protesters.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks for posting this info!

...looking forward to the NRAAM in Louisville next month, ...this time we don't have to drive all that far to get there!
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#15]
We are only a little over a week away.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone know if the free concert at the Belvedere good to go on carry?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the free concert at the Belvedere good to go on carry?
View Quote

The concert is being held on the Belvedere. The Belvedere is public property controlled by Louisville Metro. Louisville Metro has no authority to ban firearms, no matter how they are carried, on any open property they control. The concert is promoted by the NRA. There is no charge for entry into the concert.

1. Louisville Metro is "preempted" from banning firearms in open spaces by state law, KRS 65.870.
2. The "owner, business or commercial lessee or manager of a 'private business enterprise' " can ban firearms on any property that they lease, even public property.(KRS 237.110, subsection 17) NRA is the lessee for this event. It is not a "private business enterprise" because there is no charge for entry. If it was a "private business enterprise", NRA could ban guns, if they wanted to. It isn't a "private business enterprise" and I doubt that the NRA would do it, if it was.

There can be no legal gun ban at that concert. Will somebody try to ban guns there? Who knows? I can not guarantee anything. They will only get away with it, if we let them. The law says "NO". I will be at that concert and I will be open carry, just to make sure that they see my gun and I can see their reaction to it. They know the law. Will they follow it? We'll see, they did at Thunder Over Louisville. I know several people that open carried there.

The much bigger question is, will they try to ban guns at the Toby Keith Concert on Saturday, in the Yum Center? There is a charge for that event and it is a "private business enterprise". The Yum Center can't ban guns for the same reasons that Louisville Metro can't, but again the lessee can. The lessee is NRA. Will they ban guns at the Toby Keith concert? I doubt that they will. I bought a $50 ticket and, once again, I'll be there open carrying, to find out if anybody wants to ban guns. I won't be staying long, I can't stand concerts.

I've had dozens of question like this, so I got a copy of the lease between NRA and the State Fairgrounds Board and Yum Center. If you open the link below, go to page 5, section 6, second paragraph. Here it is:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxf0pu9ajxtlofx/Contract.pdf?dl=0
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#18]
How is the parking around the exposition center?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How is the parking around the exposition center?
View Quote

It is the State Fairgrounds. It has acres and acres of parking. $8 per car. The parking lot is so big that they have shuttle buses to get people from the exposition halls to their cars. Parking will not be a problem, if you have 8 bucks. If you are going to any of the events downtown, it could be a different story. Everybody will be able to find parking, but may have to walk a little. All of the downtown events are at night or Sunday, so that should be OK, too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#20]
...for those of us coming into Louisville, ..and yes i'm cramming to get caught up on KY law ...   do we have to be careful about where we go out to eat for lunch/dinner while armed/CC'ing?... I believe there's a 50/50 type law there regarding ban of being armed in establishments selling alcohol???
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...for those of us coming into Louisville, ..and yes i'm cramming to get caught up on KY law ...   do we have to be careful about where we go out to eat for lunch/dinner while armed/CC'ing?... I believe there's a 50/50 type law there regarding ban of being armed in establishments selling alcohol???
View Quote

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf (PDF) go to page 9.

Also while you're at NRAAM, stop by the NRA merch section and buy the "Travellers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States" its like $15. KC3 sells copies of these also. Its a handy book to have in your car with your maps.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are two Ky. statutes on carrying where alcohol is served. One is KRS 244.125, which can be seen here: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=43043. Notice paragraph (3) of that statute which says:
(3) This section shall not apply to a bona fide restaurant open to the general public
having dining facilities for not less than fifty (50) persons and which receives less
than fifty percent (50%) of its annual food and beverage receipts from the dining
facilities by the sale of alcohol

The second is in our concealed carry law and is KRS 237.110, subsection (16) (e). That statute can be seen here:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=44465

Nobody knows what this paragraph means, but obviously, you can't sit at the bar with a concealed weapon. Notice that neither of these two statutes says anything about actually drinking alcohol while carrying a firearm and since nothing says it is illegal, it is presumed to be legal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top